DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kitchen Design Ideas (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/175887-kitchen-design-ideas.html)

tonkski September 14th 06 11:39 AM

Kitchen Design Ideas

I'm refitting our galley kitchen and need some inspirational design
ideas to make best use of the space and come up with something a bit
different. Can anyone recommend a good book with pretty pictures that
goes beyond the usual work triangle stuff? Amazon has a world of choice
but much of it is very American in its taste.

Thanks,

Tonkski.

TheScullster September 14th 06 01:37 PM

Kitchen Design Ideas

"tonkski" wrote

I'm refitting our galley kitchen and need some inspirational design
ideas to make best use of the space and come up with something a bit
different.

This is a subject close to my heart as we are currently considering kitchen
layouts.
It seems that this is a very personal subject.
Example:

Kitchen showroom staff will show you a layout based on your room, windows
access etc, but this will tend these days to be a "style over content"
solution. Plenty of visual impact, but not enough attention to
functionality.

Unless you are solely interested in the extent to which your new kitchen
will impress vistors, I would recommend:

Make exhausted list of requirements - try to consider obscure issues e.g.
where will the papers/aluminium tins go before sending to recycle; do I want
built in appliances; what form of lighting suits my eyesight (current and
future) etc etc
This excercise will probably define a far more useful layout for you than
any glossy mag could.

Just my 2c

Phil

The3rd Earl Of Derby September 14th 06 01:40 PM

Kitchen Design Ideas

tonkski wrote:
I'm refitting our galley kitchen and need some inspirational design
ideas to make best use of the space and come up with something a bit
different. Can anyone recommend a good book with pretty pictures that
goes beyond the usual work triangle stuff? Amazon has a world of
choice but much of it is very American in its taste.

Thanks,

Tonkski.

So plan it out on this.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_i...download1.html

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Guy King September 14th 06 03:08 PM

Kitchen Design Ideas

The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Make exhausted list of requirements - try to consider obscure issues e.g.
where will the papers/aluminium tins go before sending to recycle; do
I want
built in appliances; what form of lighting suits my eyesight (current and
future) etc etc

Next time I do a kitchen, of primary importance will be "Where will all
the piles of junk go when clearing the table for dinner". Moving them to
the worktop is far from ideal.

--
Skipweasel