DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele) (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/175712-very-worrying-burning-smell-vacuum-cleaner-miele.html)

[email protected] September 12th 06 10:11 PM

Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele)

So I bought a great vacuum cleaner from selfridges .. has been working
fine

...until today

Starting smelling a very worrying burning smell (like plastic on fire)

... last night... I sucked a fly up into it... it's a 2200W hoover... I
usually use RAID spray to zap any flies that **** me off... but it was
entertaining to suck it up...

Erm... should I take it back to the shop?

Maybe I sucked up a big metal object or something? i dunno

xena September 12th 06 10:21 PM

Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele)

wrote in message
ups.com...

.. last night... I sucked a fly up into it... it's a 2200W hoover... I
usually use RAID spray to zap any flies that **** me off... but it was
entertaining to suck it up...

Back in the summer, I was using the hose on my Dyson DC01 to suck the flies
from around my horse's face and eyes. Stupid flies didn't learn and I ended
up with many hundreds buzzing around the clear plastic bin. Horse loved it.
:o)

Sorry, doesn't answer your question...

mike September 12th 06 10:45 PM

Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele)

wrote in
ups.com:

So I bought a great vacuum cleaner from selfridges .. has been working
fine

I had a Miele; it went on for years.

Then it blew up.

Yes, blew up.

I thought you'd like to know

mike

The3rd Earl Of Derby September 12th 06 11:10 PM

wrote:
So I bought a great vacuum cleaner from selfridges .. has been working
fine

..until today

Starting smelling a very worrying burning smell (like plastic on fire)

.. last night... I sucked a fly up into it... it's a 2200W hoover... I
usually use RAID spray to zap any flies that **** me off... but it was
entertaining to suck it up...

Erm... should I take it back to the shop?

Maybe I sucked up a big metal object or something? i dunno

Do take it back.

Oh,and what does a 2200W Hoover fly look like?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The Natural Philosopher September 12th 06 11:24 PM

wrote:
So I bought a great vacuum cleaner from selfridges .. has been working
fine

..until today

Starting smelling a very worrying burning smell (like plastic on fire)

Overheating motor. Bag full/filters clogged. Remove all and run..if it
revs a LOT higher than when put back together you have a problem.

.. last night... I sucked a fly up into it... it's a 2200W hoover... I
usually use RAID spray to zap any flies that **** me off... but it was
entertaining to suck it up...

Erm... should I take it back to the shop?

Maybe I sucked up a big metal object or something? i dunno

No. More like lots of fine dust.

Phil L September 12th 06 11:30 PM

wrote:
So I bought a great vacuum cleaner from selfridges .. has been working
fine

..until today

Starting smelling a very worrying burning smell (like plastic on fire)

This wil probably be the belt melting, meaning that the belt is turning but
the steel part which should spin (via the belt) is jammed, probably with
something, rarely nothing, but it's best to have a look.

.. last night... I sucked a fly up into it... it's a 2200W hoover... I
usually use RAID spray to zap any flies that **** me off... but it was
entertaining to suck it up...

I doubt a fly could have blocked it, unless it was sat in a box of LEGO at
the time.

Erm... should I take it back to the shop?

That depends on how long you've had it, if it's less than a year, yes, if
it's more than a year, don't bother as they'll charge you for any work which
needs doing which you could do yourself in ten minutes.

Maybe I sucked up a big metal object or something? i dunno

Neither do we....did you hear a sort of metallic, clangy-bangy screeching
noise fill the room, like the sound you get when you try to drill through a
steel girder with a masonry bit? - if you didn't then it's unlikely you went
over a big metal object.

Guy King September 13th 06 12:20 PM

Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele)

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Oh,and what does a 2200W Hoover fly look like?

http://www.modelflight.com.au/pics/m...tcat_roo_a.jpg

--
Skipweasel

Douglas de Lacey September 13th 06 05:09 PM

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:

So I bought a great vacuum cleaner from selfridges .. has been working
fine

..until today

Starting smelling a very worrying burning smell (like plastic on fire)

Overheating motor. Bag full/filters clogged. Remove all and run..if it
revs a LOT higher than when put back together you have a problem.

Might be as simple as a stuck brush bar if it's an upright. in which
case it's melting belt. Can we have some more details, OP?

Douglas de Lacey

Newshound September 13th 06 09:34 PM

Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele)

A bit off at a tangent, but a few years ago one of the vac's went bang and
tripped the RCD when I was at work and the wife was using it. Because she
really doesn't like electrical bangs she unplugged it and put it out on the
patio whereas I would have put it in the workshop. Just as well really
because a couple of hours later she looked out of the window to see it
blazing merrily, and she called out the local firemen. The added amusement
was it had started snowing by then and having kicked it well out of the way
of the house they had to fill in their form, and where they had to fill in
"Method used to extinguish fire" they wrote "snowballs".

The serious point is that most electrical stuff is self extinguishing for
your standard "frayed cord inside" type of fault, but vacuum cleaners with
their bag of fine combustible dust need to be treated with a bit more care.
If I had put it in the workshop I don't suppose we would have known about it
until it had reached the thinners, paint, propane cylinders.......

Andy Hall September 13th 06 10:33 PM

On 2006-09-12 23:30:30 +0100, "Phil L" said:

wrote:
[...]

Actually untrue. Mine had a 3yr warranty - Miele do these
periodically for cleaners.

However, f the cleaner has been used to clear up plaster and other
similar things then it is (reasonably) not covered.

[email protected] September 14th 06 08:00 AM

Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele)

mike wrote:
wrote in
ups.com:

So I bought a great vacuum cleaner from selfridges .. has been working
fine

I had a Miele; it went on for years.

Then it blew up.

Yes, blew up.

I thought you'd like to know

mike

Thanks
Mike

[email protected] September 14th 06 08:02 AM

Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele)

That depends on how long you've had it, if it's less than a year, yes, if
it's more than a year, don't bother as they'll charge you for any work which
needs doing which you could do yourself in ten minutes.

I've had it for a few weeks! It cost £150 or something.