Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Default Hearing aid...needed

So, we go to the GP, who says

"Go to the hospital"

Who say

"You need a hearing aid".

Big deal. We knew that.

So we ask 'OK how long?'

"Six months. And it will be the one WE decide to give to YOU, but it
will be free.."

Great. So..anyone had experience of COMMERCIAL PROVISION - types,
models, providers and the like esp. in East Anglia?

For those of you who know what it means my wife looks like her hearing
shelves from normal at 100Hz down to -50dB at 750Hz, where it plateaus
before falling off a cliff after 2.5Khz..I doubt anything over 8kHz is
audible at all..

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...but 50dB is apparently the bleeding edge as far as 'in ear'
technology goes..

Digital would seem to be a must.

I suppose what we ant now is a place to go and try stuff out without
having to commit to anything..Bury/Cambridge/Newmarket/Ely sorts of
areas for choice...
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Go to a Centre for the deaf or hard of hearing I think if you're going to
buy you can put half to the proceeds and the NHS will pay the other half?
Contact the RNID

http://www.rnid.org.uk/mediacentre/k...s/other_facts/

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...

Nothing wrong with "outside ear" aids....

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEU...ear/fail1a.jpg

The whole article is worth a read anyway.

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/ear/ear.htm

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:24:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

So, we go to the GP, who says

"Go to the hospital"

Who say

"You need a hearing aid".

Big deal. We knew that.

So we ask 'OK how long?'

"Six months. And it will be the one WE decide to give to YOU, but it
will be free.."

Find a situation in which you will urgently need your hearing aid
(Perhaps in court suing someone for not getting you a hearing aid
quickly enough? ;-))
They might hurry it up.

Great. So..anyone had experience of COMMERCIAL PROVISION - types,
models, providers and the like esp. in East Anglia?

For those of you who know what it means my wife looks like her hearing
shelves from normal at 100Hz down to -50dB at 750Hz, where it plateaus
before falling off a cliff after 2.5Khz..I doubt anything over 8kHz is
audible at all..

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...but 50dB is apparently the bleeding edge as far as 'in ear'
technology goes..

Digital would seem to be a must.

I suppose what we ant now is a place to go and try stuff out without
having to commit to anything..Bury/Cambridge/Newmarket/Ely sorts of
areas for choice...

--
Get away from it all
http://www.travelfreebies.co.uk/thomson-holidays.htm
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...

Nothing wrong with "outside ear" aids....

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEU...ear/fail1a.jpg

The whole article is worth a read anyway.

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/ear/ear.htm

--
Skipweasel

Haven't time to read them for all the hospital visiting but I might after
tomorrow's hearing assessment.

Bookmarked.

Mary

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

[...]

uk.d-i-y?

make one from some string, two cans and a megaphone...
method:
Use the string to tie the wife to the chair, you sit on the other side of
the room, drink the cans and use the megaphone to talk to her.
:-p

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"mogga" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:24:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

So, we go to the GP, who says

Mine didn't. He asked if I'd be prepared to wear a hearing aid when I said I
had trouble.

... it will be the one WE decide to give to YOU, but it
will be free.."

I've been told I'll be given a digital one.

Spouse made me one from a long cow horn. Works a treat and it's a joy to see
children's faces after they've picked it up and tried to blow it and I tell
them what it is :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Haven't time to read them for all the hospital visiting but I might after
tomorrow's hearing assessment.

How's the leaky lad?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:

"You need a hearing aid".

In addition to hearing aids which are nothing like a
complete fix and are ineffective for some people, you
might want to look into some lip reading training.
If your wife is good at crosswords, that's a good
indicator she might be good at lip reading with some
training (very similar skills are required for both).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
For those of you who know what it means my wife looks like her hearing
shelves from normal at 100Hz down to -50dB at 750Hz, where it plateaus
before falling off a cliff after 2.5Khz..I doubt anything over 8kHz is
audible at all..

300 - 3000 Hz was chosen for telephones as being comfortable for speech.
-50 DB for the last two octaves would make it very difficult to
understand.

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...but 50dB is apparently the bleeding edge as far as 'in ear'
technology goes..

I would think so. That's a lot of gain to have twixt mic and speaker in
something that small without feedback.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

[...]

My husband got excellent product and service from "Hidden Hearing" - but
horrendously expensive, particularly if the hearing deteriorates furter in a
year or so! They come to your home. Based in Maidstone, if I remember
correctly. They`re extremely good as long as you don`t mind the price.

Pat P

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
uk.d-i-y?

make one from some string, two cans and a megaphone... method: Use the
string to tie the wife to the chair, you sit on the other side of the
room, drink the cans and use the megaphone to talk to her.

I made one for my rich Uncle Walter - who already had a state of the art
private one. Some 15 years ago, though, and I believe modern digital ones
are so much better.
I used a cheapish personal mic (with a long cable) from Maplin, and an 80
dB max variable gain 2 watt amp feeding a pair of walkman headphones.
Tailored the response to be rising at about 12dB per octave peaking at
3KHz.
For a one to one conversation he just clipped the mic onto the visitor.
He used it all the time.

He lived to the ripe old age of 90, and spent most of his money on a
decent nursing home. ;-)

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

[...]

It only took me 4 weeks to get referred to an audiologist in Winchester
and Eastleigh PCT, Hampshire, and a further 4 weeks for the hearing aids
to be issued, the time was taken up with the earpieces moulds.

Mine are a pair of Oticon Spirit 3 digital hearing aids, standard over
the ear NHS issue digital hearing aids.

I have found them to be excellent. I would not recommend the analogue
type. They are awful.

Mark

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message
So, we go to the GP, who says

"Go to the hospital"

Who say

"You need a hearing aid".
snip
I suppose what we ant now is a place to go and try stuff out without
having to commit to anything..Bury/Cambridge/Newmarket/Ely sorts of
areas for choice...

Any good ?
http://www.specsavershearcare.co.uk/...omparison.html
http://tinyurl.com/jhty5

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
"You need a hearing aid".

In addition to hearing aids which are nothing like a
complete fix and are ineffective for some people, you
might want to look into some lip reading training.
If your wife is good at crosswords, that's a good
indicator she might be good at lip reading with some
training (very similar skills are required for both).

No, the figures - and the volume she sets the TV at - suggest an aid is
appropriate.

She does lip read anyway..a bit.

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
For those of you who know what it means my wife looks like her hearing
shelves from normal at 100Hz down to -50dB at 750Hz, where it plateaus
before falling off a cliff after 2.5Khz..I doubt anything over 8kHz is
audible at all..

300 - 3000 Hz was chosen for telephones as being comfortable for speech.
-50 DB for the last two octaves would make it very difficult to
understand.

It's worse between 1.5 and 3Khz...

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...but 50dB is apparently the bleeding edge as far as 'in ear'
technology goes..

I would think so. That's a lot of gain to have twixt mic and speaker in
something that small without feedback.

yes..they use delays to stop the howlround, and echo cancellation - DSP
stuff - but even so its a hard call. However any improvement at all
would be useful.

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Mark Horton" wrote in message
Mine are a pair of Oticon Spirit 3 digital hearing aids, standard over the
ear NHS issue digital hearing aids.

I have found them to be excellent. I would not recommend the analogue
type. They are awful.

Mark

I'm an otosclerosis sufferer, and I've had a behind the ear analog type for
several years now, and it works for me. (Certainly not "awful" in my case.)
Never tried or been offered a digital type, However my elderly aunt (~90)
does have a digital behind the ear type, and struggles with the
switch/battery compartment lid, and what mode it's in etc. And who said you
couldn't put the battery in the wrong way round? Perhaps the designers of
the digital types had never met someone living on their own, recovering from
a surgically induced stroke and thus having poor control of their fingers,
and yet I expect most hearing aids go to the more elderly in our population.

At least on mine the mode switch is clearly visible.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

[...]

Digital hearing aids are available from NHS audiology centres but you have
to specifically request digital. There is usually a waiting list for digital
but they will supply a non-digital aid first.

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Phil Anthropist wrote:
[...]

If you can find about £1000 then go to Spec Savers, try them out. As
with MOST hearing aid companies your check and advice is free. For that
price you will get 2 hearing aids, either the type that hang behind your
ears (which I have)those that sit in the ear and those that go right
inside the ear. They will of course explain the advantages and dis of
all types. Personally I would not have just one.
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Phil Anthropist wrote:
[...]

No, today most will supply digital as standard. Certainly at the sorts
of amplification levels needed, analogue would be almost impossible to
achieve without feedback.

Our complaints are purely in the time to get one and the fact that it is
no choice when you do.

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Phil Anthropist wrote:
[...]

It may vary by region or nature of the problem, but that's certainly
not my experience. My father was given digital aids quite quickly
without asking specifically for digital. I can, however, echo the
experience that the training and instruction leaflets for digital aids
leave a lot to be desired when intended for an 86 yr old with various
other ailments who can just about manage a TV remote.

MBQ

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:22:02 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Phil Anthropist wrote:

Digital hearing aids are available from NHS audiology centres but you have
to specifically request digital. There is usually a waiting list for digital
but they will supply a non-digital aid first.

No, today most will supply digital as standard. Certainly at the sorts
of amplification levels needed, analogue would be almost impossible to
achieve without feedback.

With digital ones, is there a propagation delay through the aid à la
DAB radio? My mum's losing her hearing a bit...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

[...]

I was given an NHS aid very quickly, try them and see how you get on.

Don't get taken in by the advertising for commercial hearing aids.

Alan

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

So, we go to the GP, who says

Mine didn't. He asked if I'd be prepared to wear a hearing aid when I said
I had trouble.

... it will be the one WE decide to give to YOU, but it
will be free.."

I've been told I'll be given a digital one.

I've got two, one for each ear, so there!

Alan

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Pat P" wrote in message

[...]

The NHS is free, and the batteries are free as well.

Alan

Pat P

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message
So, we go to the GP, who says

"Go to the hospital"

Who say

"You need a hearing aid".
snip
I suppose what we ant now is a place to go and try stuff out without
having to commit to anything..Bury/Cambridge/Newmarket/Ely sorts of
areas for choice...

Any good ?
http://www.specsavershearcare.co.uk/...omparison.html
http://tinyurl.com/jhty5

Cost you £500, but free from the NHS!

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
[...]

They told me that they were going to give me digital aids.

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Phil Anthropist wrote:
[...]

Why waste £1000 when you can get them free from the NHS?

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Phil Anthropist wrote:
[...]

If you are that desperate and have lots of money to throw away, then go and
buy them, there will still be a wait for making the insert and fiting the
things.

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Phil Anthropist wrote:

Digital hearing aids are available from NHS audiology centres but you
have
to specifically request digital. There is usually a waiting list for
digital
but they will supply a non-digital aid first.

No, today most will supply digital as standard. Certainly at the sorts
of amplification levels needed, analogue would be almost impossible to
achieve without feedback.

With digital ones, is there a propagation delay through the aid à la
DAB radio? My mum's losing her hearing a bit...

Not that I'm aware, Im sure I hear everything as it is spoken, at least the
lipreading will confirm.

Alan

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Haven't time to read them for all the hospital visiting but I might after
tomorrow's hearing assessment.

How's the leaky lad?

Triple leaking but saline, morphine and oxygen going in to make it up.

Very healthy looking despite all the silicone tubing to tangle. Becoming
argumentative and boring so must be almost back to normal ...

My hearing assessment went well, after the test I had a fitting for each ear
and should get the digital devices within four weeks.

Thanks,

Mary

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...but 50dB is apparently the bleeding edge as far as 'in ear'
technology goes..
I would think so. That's a lot of gain to have twixt mic and speaker in
something that small without feedback.

yes..they use delays to stop the howlround, and echo cancellation - DSP
stuff - but even so its a hard call. However any improvement at all would
be useful.

Would it be possible to use an in-ear speaker inductively coupled to a
body-worn microphone/transmitter?

One of my friends had something like that, a huge box on her chest. she used
to insist that folk "Speak to the bosom!".

Mary

Owain

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Very healthy looking despite all the silicone tubing to tangle. Becoming
argumentative and boring so must be almost back to normal ...

My hearing assessment went well, after the test I had a fitting for
each ear
and should get the digital devices within four weeks.

You making sure you don't get them fitted till he recovers?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Phil Anthropist wrote:

Digital hearing aids are available from NHS audiology centres but you have
to specifically request digital. There is usually a waiting list for digital
but they will supply a non-digital aid first.

No, today most will supply digital as standard. Certainly at the sorts
of amplification levels needed, analogue would be almost impossible to
achieve without feedback.

With digital ones, is there a propagation delay through the aid à la
DAB radio? My mum's losing her hearing a bit...

Yes. Thats why they work better. I assume they use DSP's rather than
analogue shaping of the spectrum, and probably use delays to control
feedback,..anyway there is always some delay through a digital
filter..thats how they work...
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...but 50dB is apparently the bleeding edge as far as 'in
ear' technology goes..
I would think so. That's a lot of gain to have twixt mic and speaker in
something that small without feedback.

yes..they use delays to stop the howlround, and echo cancellation -
DSP stuff - but even so its a hard call. However any improvement at
all would be useful.

Would it be possible to use an in-ear speaker inductively coupled to a
body-worn microphone/transmitter?

Patent that quick mate.

Its probably the best solution ever.

Owain

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote in message
So, we go to the GP, who says

"Go to the hospital"

Who say

"You need a hearing aid".
snip
I suppose what we ant now is a place to go and try stuff out without
having to commit to anything..Bury/Cambridge/Newmarket/Ely sorts of
areas for choice...

Any good ?
http://www.specsavershearcare.co.uk/...omparison.html
http://tinyurl.com/jhty5

Cost you £500, but free from the NHS!

6 months of being unable to do business effectively is worth a lot more
than £600.

Thats the delay here it seems. Cambridge.

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
Phil Anthropist wrote:
[...]

6 months delay, and zero choice as to type.
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Alan Holmes wrote:

Our complaints are purely in the time to get one and the fact that it is
no choice when you do.

If you are that desperate and have lots of money to throw away, then go and
buy them, there will still be a wait for making the insert and fiting the
things.

2 weeks appx.

Better than 6 months.
Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

So, we go to the GP, who says

"Go to the hospital"

Who say

"You need a hearing aid".

Big deal. We knew that.

So we ask 'OK how long?'

"Six months. And it will be the one WE decide to give to YOU, but it
will be free.."

Great. So..anyone had experience of COMMERCIAL PROVISION - types,
models, providers and the like esp. in East Anglia?

Please contact me privately - the email address is valid

regards

Neil

Posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Very healthy looking despite all the silicone tubing to tangle. Becoming
argumentative and boring so must be almost back to normal ...

My hearing assessment went well, after the test I had a fitting for
each ear
and should get the digital devices within four weeks.

You making sure you don't get them fitted till he recovers?

I hope he'll be fit and well and doing the rainwater plumbing by then!

Mary

--
Skipweasel

Windows replacing: needed scaffolding? Gianfra UK diy 9 May 3rd 13 05:39 AM
people needed work money man UK diy 0 April 14th 06 01:22 PM
telephone wiring HELP needed ! Beowulf Home Repair 34 April 11th 06 03:59 AM
Contractors needed in New Orleans ! [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 21st 05 07:33 PM
Part needed: Kenwood Car Radio KDC-MP625 part needed Klem Electronics Repair 1 September 28th 05 05:27 AM