Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tips for using reclaimed solid wood flooring??

It's major decision time, guys and dolls, and I need a bit of advice
here. I have a 3 bed flat, two largish rooms and two tiny, small hall,
small kitchen, small bathroom. I've been donated some maple reclaimed
flooring - probably do one room and a bit more, so starting with
reception/living room. I plan to leave the existing wooden floor which
is under carpets right now, and consists of 6 inch pine planks,
unfinished with holes between the planks (?original shrinkage). I don't
intend to use that because I want some soundproofing and anyway it's
pretty basic looking.

Questions:
a) I'd like a layer of soundproofing - I'm a musician and on 2nd floor.
Don't plan on anything very noisy like acoustic piano, but use electric
keyboard (can use control volume). So what soundproofing to use - most
damping for least height preferred - can you suggest types and
suppliers pref. in W.London area.

b) This is going to add height, so to keep all surfaces in the flat the
same I'll have to add height right through - maybe stone floors in
bathroom etc. Anybody forsee problems with this?

c) I have a nice chap to fit it - jobbing handyman who already fitted
the rest of the reclaimed flooring at a mate's place, so he knows the
problems. There's original glue on the flooring so some of the tongues
and grooves won't fit, others don't go right in. He cleaned up as best
he could in laying it, and where the wood didn't go right in he planed
off the tongues, or if the two surfaces didn't come flush he filled in
with a mixture of PVC and sawdust. I saw his floor, and though not
perfect, it looked pretty good. Question - will anything clean up the
tongues and grooves fairly quickly, e.g. a router used on either the
tongues or the grooves or both?

d) In my mate's place he nailed the flooring onto the old
beams(joists), having taken up the old floor. In my place he'd be
nailing through the soundproofing layer into the pine floor - do you
foresee any problems with the nails holding, or the maple planks
moving?

e) Using nails doesn't make it a floating floor - what am I going to
lose from the soundproofing angle - a lot or a little?

Have to give the fitter a date to start, and want some information on
all the above, so all help very, very welcome. Thanks in advance. Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:

[...]

Youve got options, one of which is to remove the existing floor first.
This would mean no change of height plus a lot of wood flooring you can
relay without gaps. Old pine flooring usually cleans up nicely.

If doing that you'd put mesh down before the wood, plus rockwool
between the joists on the mesh so the boards compress it to some
extent.

This means you've got most of the wood you need already, the batch of
maple would probably be all you need, and no door choping etc

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm - it's a thought - use the existing flooring. what I'm afraid of is
sound transmission downstairs. I have no problem right now with
neighbours, but I have two layers of underlay and wall to wall carpets.
This would get dramatically worse. What sound deadening material could
I put between the joists and the flooring? It ain't going to be a
floating floor, because it isn't tongued and grooved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Sep 2006 02:30:01 -0700, Eusebius wrote:

e) Using nails doesn't make it a floating floor - what am I going to
lose from the soundproofing angle - a lot or a little?

My gut feeling is a lot as you are fairly effectively coupling the two
floors together. Also I suspect that over time the nail heads will "rise
up" through the Maple boards as the sound profing layer between collapses
due to the weight and wear.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:

Hmm - it's a thought - use the existing flooring. what I'm afraid of is
sound transmission downstairs. I have no problem right now with
neighbours, but I have two layers of underlay and wall to wall carpets.
This would get dramatically worse. What sound deadening material could
I put between the joists and the flooring? It ain't going to be a
floating floor, because it isn't tongued and grooved.

It'll be like having the carpet on the other side, soundproofing effect
roughly similar to now. Do you want something other than rockwool for
some reason?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Sep 2006 05:16:51 -0700, "Eusebius" wrote:

Hmm - it's a thought - use the existing flooring. what I'm afraid of is
sound transmission downstairs. I have no problem right now with
neighbours, but I have two layers of underlay and wall to wall carpets.
This would get dramatically worse. What sound deadening material could
I put between the joists and the flooring? It ain't going to be a
floating floor, because it isn't tongued and grooved.

I was reading a thread yesterday( cannot find it now) but the suggestion for
that problem ...(to do with neighbours hearing the toilet being used ...sound of
plop plopsetc ) was to suspend chicken wire mesh between the joists and then lay
Rockwool on top so that the boards compressed it ..Job done ..

Stuart