DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wireless IP camera as baby monitor? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/174664-wireless-ip-camera-baby-monitor.html)

Jon September 3rd 06 10:23 AM

Wireless IP camera as baby monitor?

Might get one for the babys room, but then I've also thought about one
for the front and back of the house, with motion detection, recording to
my hard drive etc. Not worried about sound as I will be using a proper
baby-monitor for that.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks.
--
Regards
Jon

The3rd Earl Of Derby September 3rd 06 11:09 AM

Jon wrote:
Might get one for the babys room, but then I've also thought about one
for the front and back of the house, with motion detection, recording
to my hard drive etc. Not worried about sound as I will be using a
proper baby-monitor for that.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks.

Yes,I recommend you shouldn't transmit video signals to the internet whilst
its monitoring the baby.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Simon September 3rd 06 11:38 AM

Wireless IP camera as baby monitor?

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
Might get one for the babys room, but then I've also thought about one
for the front and back of the house, with motion detection, recording to
my hard drive etc. Not worried about sound as I will be using a proper
baby-monitor for that.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks.
--
Regards
Jon

I've used Axis 205 and 206 wired IP cameras, and found them to be very
reliable with good picture quality, so the Axis 207W is probably worth
looking at. Shame about the price though. As an example, the righthand
column of pictures at http://www.sgurr.co.uk/lundycam/index.html is taken
using a modified Axis 205.

Hellraiser September 3rd 06 03:41 PM

Wireless IP camera as baby monitor?

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Jon wrote:
Might get one for the babys room, but then I've also thought about one
for the front and back of the house, with motion detection, recording
to my hard drive etc. Not worried about sound as I will be using a
proper baby-monitor for that.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks.

Yes,I recommend you shouldn't transmit video signals to the internet
whilst
its monitoring the baby.

Why would it upload to the internet when it's connected on the local LAN?

Hellraiser.............

Jon September 3rd 06 04:01 PM

Wireless IP camera as baby monitor?

declared for all the world to hear...
Yes,I recommend you shouldn't transmit video signals to the internet whilst
its monitoring the baby.

It will principally be for my LAN only, but I would like the option to
specify a password to be viewable form the internet.
--
Regards
Jon

Bob Eager September 3rd 06 04:28 PM

Wireless IP camera as baby monitor?

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:41:17 UTC, "Hellraiser"
wrote:

Might get one for the babys room, but then I've also thought about one
for the front and back of the house, with motion detection, recording
to my hard drive etc. Not worried about sound as I will be using a
proper baby-monitor for that.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Yes,I recommend you shouldn't transmit video signals to the internet
whilst
its monitoring the baby.

Why would it upload to the internet when it's connected on the local LAN?

The biggest risk, if the signal gets out, is the invasion of social
workers...!

[email protected] September 3rd 06 05:34 PM

Jon wrote:
Might get one for the babys room, but then I've also thought about one
for the front and back of the house, with motion detection, recording to
my hard drive etc. Not worried about sound as I will be using a proper
baby-monitor for that.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks.
--
Regards
Jon

I use a Linksys WVC54G.

Not great in low light, but available on line pretty cheaply. Picture
is more than adequate to baby position etc, and has (scratchy) sound.
Email me directly for screen shots in different lighting, if you like.

It also has built in motion detection and can email a short video to (I
think) 3 email addresses.

M.

dennis@home September 3rd 06 06:00 PM

Wireless IP camera as baby monitor?

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
declared for all the world to hear...
Yes,I recommend you shouldn't transmit video signals to the internet
whilst
its monitoring the baby.

It will principally be for my LAN only, but I would like the option to
specify a password to be viewable form the internet.

I have a couple of Panasonic blc10 cameras for security.
They aren't cheap though.

broadbandbuyer.co.uk has a selection of cameras if you want to look.

Guy King September 3rd 06 06:20 PM

Wireless IP camera as baby monitor?

The message
from "Hellraiser" contains these words:

Why would it upload to the internet when it's connected on the local LAN?

You'd be amazed at how badly some people can configure things!

--
Skipweasel

Hellraiser September 3rd 06 08:28 PM

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Hellraiser" contains these
words:

Why would it upload to the internet when it's connected on the local LAN?

You'd be amazed at how badly some people can configure things!

They'd really have to screw it up to do that! But then, without the
halfwits I'd have no wireless broadband to piggy-back on when mine goes down
:)

Hellraiser.............