Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double Glazing Query

I have recently had a new double glazing unit with a cat flap fitted to
an existing double glazed back door. The glazing company came round,
measured up, and came back a couple of weeks later with a new unit,
took the old one out and put the new one in. After they had left, I
went to clean the glass and noticed that the unit moved in the frame:
there was approximately 5mm gap between the glass unit and the inside
of the frame, meaning that as I cleaned the glass, the unit moved
forwards in the door.

I called the company who reluctantly agreed to come back as I thought
there was a problem. After much grumbling, they took the unit out,
applied a layer of self-adhesive foam to the edge of the glass and put
the unit back in again. The glazier said that in a long panel of glass
(this panel is the height of a normal door), some movement was normal.

Having looked at every other double glazed unit in my flat (in the
other half of the back door and the windows), none of them move: they
all fit snuggly in the frame. Also, when looking at the other half of
the back door in which the glass unit was not replaced, the new unit
appears (although I can't measure it) to be thinner.

Can any one let me know whether I should be calling the glaziers back
again to complain, or whether it is normal that the unit should move a
few millimetres when cleaning it and that putting a layer of foam
between the unit and the inside of the frame is acceptable. I'm
certainly no expert, but I've not seen this on any other window and my
gut reaction is that if they had measured the unit properly, it would
have fit perfectly, without the need for "padding". Maybe I'm wrong
though?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The glass shouldn't move and I personally wouldn't accept a strip of
foam on a new made to measure sealed unit! The glass is supposed to be
held in place tight by the beads.

By the sounds of it they messed up the measurements!

Also your double check that your new glass is toughened.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You should also have a read of this
http://www.doubleglazing.com/diy_toeing_heeling.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

No, it shouldn't move. And when you consider that the
glass is probably the cheapest part of the product there's
something very wrong with a company that won't admit
to the fault and make a new window to fit.

tim