DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cannon gas oven light up problem (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/172625-cannon-gas-oven-light-up-problem.html)

Poovard August 15th 06 07:54 PM

Cannon gas oven light up problem

Hi,

My 10 year old cannon camberly double gas oven cooker has developed a
fault. The bottom oven wont light up past the pilot stage. Top oven
works fine. Pilot seems normal.

Can anyone advise possible diagnosis? Is this a DIY repair, the thing
looks simple enough!

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

Ed Sirett August 15th 06 09:44 PM

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:54:19 -0700, Poovard wrote:

Hi,

My 10 year old cannon camberly double gas oven cooker has developed a
fault. The bottom oven wont light up past the pilot stage. Top oven
works fine. Pilot seems normal.

Can anyone advise possible diagnosis? Is this a DIY repair, the thing
looks simple enough!

Probably some sort of failure of the gas valve.
Most like the valve is a mercury expansion type. Repair is by replacement
of the parts.
This could be a diy repair for _some_ people but would require dismantling
of gas carrying parts.

Poovard August 16th 06 09:33 AM

Cannon gas oven light up problem

Thanks Ed.

Can it be tested? It looks like there is a thermocouple type device
that sits in the pilot flame that gives a signal to the gas valve to
open.

Mike.

Ed Sirett August 17th 06 12:21 AM

--

Please do not top post.

If the gas valve used to open of it's accord then it is not a
thermocouple (however much it looks like one) if it required you to hold
in something for a short while it might be.

Frankly with all respect this is a repair best to left to someone who done
a few before.