Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ventilating timbers on a dormer window

Following on from earlier (related!) queries...

I'm insulating an existing dormer window, having pulled down the lath
and plaster; this has left exposed the 4" horizonal joists which form
the roof of the dormer (roof is about 5'x3'). Dormer roof is composed
of timber boards with lead(?) covering.

Plan is to insert 2" Kingspan insulation between the joists, and overlay
with vapour barrier and insulation-backed plasterboard. However, this
will leave a completely sealed cavity above the insulation and if there
is any ingress of damp in the future sounds like a recipe for dry rot,
no? The dormer is dry currently, but there's staining on the underside
of the now-exposed timbers so obviously it hasn't always been so.

So what to do? I could drill ventilation holes in the joists to connect
the separated cavities, not sure if that's worthwhile though? Moe
significantly I was wondering about drilling a row of upward slanting
0.5" holes in the front of the dormer above the window and into the
cavity - would that be sensible? (would need to stop insect ingress I
suppose...) And as the room will be completely vapour-sealed from
below, any future leaks to the dormer roof would probably go completely
undetected until really serious damage had been done.

Difficulty seems to be the merging of 1912 and 2006 building practices!

Thanks for any pointers
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Following on from earlier (related!) queries...

Plan is to insert 2" Kingspan insulation between the joists, and overlay
with vapour barrier and insulation-backed plasterboard. However, this
will leave a completely sealed cavity above the insulation and if there
is any ingress of damp in the future sounds like a recipe for dry rot,
no? The dormer is dry currently, but there's staining on the underside
of the now-exposed timbers so obviously it hasn't always been so.

On the underside of T&G floor boarding there are slots cut to prevent
forming a sealed box between the joists. You could cut similar shallow
slots in the beams/joists. When I built my Dormer I used 100m. thick
Rockwool Slab instead of Kingspan. It seems to absorb more sound.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:50:19 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Try asking on the forums on www.periodproperty.co.uk

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Hmm, they're a bit scary on the if you use phrases like "pulling down
lath and plaster" and "inserting Kingspan" they think you're a troll...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

[...]

Further to the above enquiry... tomorrow is the point-of-no-return day
so I've decided I'd better go for it and drill the holes as above.

These will be through the front of a decorative moulding, so difficult
to fit any form of grille over the front - so, anyone got any smart
ideas for a reliable and totally maintenance-free solution for
preventing insects entering a hole of that size... what could I shove up
which would stay put and prevent bugs while still permitting air ingress?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

You should have some kind of venting between the joist and either the
rest of the loft space or the outside ideally.

Holes is no bad thing, but really there is probably some leakage anyway.
The staining is probably due to failure of the lead at some time past.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately there's no way through to the rest of the loft space -
complicated to explain, but trust me on that! So yes, it's vent holes
through to the outside, but through this moulding not a flat face, so
the followup question was how to prevent bugs from getting in...

David

Holes is no bad thing, but really there is probably some leakage anyway.
The staining is probably due to failure of the lead at some time past.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:50:17 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Lobster wrote:

[...]

I'd be more worried by rain being blown in than insects.

When I did what you are planning the dormer ceiling void was open to
the attic. After I'd completed it, it wasnt nice to see all the dew
drops forming on the t&g over the dormer when it turned cold. I put it
down to damp from some new plastering and I've put an air brick in the
attic and I'll see what happens this winter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Lobster wrote:

[...]

Point taken - I'd hoped that angling the holes downwards would help on
that front but let's add that problem to the criteria then!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

You should have some kind of venting between the joist and either the
rest of the loft space or the outside ideally.

Unfortunately there's no way through to the rest of the loft space -
complicated to explain, but trust me on that! So yes, it's vent holes
through to the outside, but through this moulding not a flat face, so
the followup question was how to prevent bugs from getting in...

Oh. ask at the builders merchant. There are either grilles or mesh
available for that. Or staple perf. zinc etc. over the holes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

You should have some kind of venting between the joist and either the
rest of the loft space or the outside ideally.

Unfortunately there's no way through to the rest of the loft space -
complicated to explain, but trust me on that! So yes, it's vent holes
through to the outside, but through this moulding not a flat face, so
the followup question was how to prevent bugs from getting in...

Oh. ask at the builders merchant. There are either grilles or mesh
available for that. Or staple perf. zinc etc. over the holes.

Thanks, I've been and done just that at TP. Doesn't seem to be anything
to suit my purpose really but I bought a length of soffit vent grille
stuff, and with some judicious carving with a Stanley knife have
produced a length of L-section uPVC grille which doesn't look too awful
from ground level! And will hopefully stave off my rot worries.

(Got the undivided attention of a Very Nice Man at the hated TP for 20
mins, who sorted me out for 3 GBP - so that's a first!)

David

replacing a dormer window Paul UK diy 3 March 10th 06 09:01 PM
Central Air v. Window-unit Air? Nehmo Home Repair 147 August 20th 05 08:33 AM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
How to secure a window after installing a/c Ed B. Home Repair 2 June 18th 04 07:11 PM
Sagging bay window - probable cause found? David Hearn UK diy 7 January 14th 04 03:21 PM