DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/170938-ceiling-fan-installation-weight-joist-size.html)

Mike Scott July 31st 06 04:01 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

I've just bought a ceiling fan by post, and wasn't aware of the weight
of the thing. I'm wondering if the ceiling joists are up to holding it.
The fan is about 14kg; the ceiling joists are an odd size, slightly
under 4" by 1 1/2". The whole lot appears to be designed to be
suspended from the joist by just 2 screws.

Should I not even attempt this? Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)

Guy King July 31st 06 04:39 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

The message
from Mike Scott contains
these words:

Should I not even attempt this? Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

Considering how much weight I've got in my loft on the same size joists
I don't reckon you've got anything to worry about.

For a start, do you ever walk in the loft? If so you must be putting
more load than that on the joists as you walk about.

--
Skipweasel

[email protected] July 31st 06 09:33 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Mike Scott contains
these words:

Should I not even attempt this? Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

Considering how much weight I've got in my loft on the same size joists
I don't reckon you've got anything to worry about.

For a start, do you ever walk in the loft? If so you must be putting
more load than that on the joists as you walk about.

Quite so. I've seen 3' fans on this joist size without any problem.

NT

Andrew Gabriel July 31st 06 09:58 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

In article . com,
writes:
Guy King wrote:
The message
from Mike Scott contains
these words:

Should I not even attempt this? Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

Considering how much weight I've got in my loft on the same size joists
I don't reckon you've got anything to worry about.

For a start, do you ever walk in the loft? If so you must be putting
more load than that on the joists as you walk about.

Quite so. I've seen 3' fans on this joist size without any problem.

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mary Fisher July 31st 06 10:24 PM

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

Oh no - how awful!

Mary

Guy King July 31st 06 10:39 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

The message
from (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

Bet it doesn't say what the failure mode is though.

--
Skipweasel

Andrew Gabriel July 31st 06 11:05 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

In article ,
Guy King writes:
The message
from (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

Bet it doesn't say what the failure mode is though.

The fan or the people? ;-)

There were no details -- it was the last item on a list of deaths
caused by electrical installations in the US, which I found when
searching for such statistics a while back.

--
Andrew Gabriel

raden July 31st 06 11:07 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
. ..

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

Oh no - how awful!

Yeah ... dented the fans, didn't it

--
geoff

Frank Erskine August 1st 06 12:01 AM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

On 31 Jul 2006 22:05:44 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Guy King writes:
The message
from
(Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

Bet it doesn't say what the failure mode is though.

The fan or the people? ;-)

There were no details -- it was the last item on a list of deaths
caused by electrical installations in the US, which I found when
searching for such statistics a while back.

_Is_ it an electrical installation? Or a pneumatic installation? The
fact that they are powered by electricity is really irrelevant in view
of their mass and mechanical motion!

:-)

There used to be rules regarding ceiling fans in commercial premises,
such as that they had to be fastened to joists using studding (screwed
rods) rather than woodscrews.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Mary Fisher August 1st 06 09:58 AM

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

There used to be rules regarding ceiling fans in commercial premises,
such as that they had to be fastened to joists using studding (screwed
rods) rather than woodscrews.

Neighbour asked Spouse to fit a ceiling fan in his sitting room the other
day.

Spouse was appalled at the design of the thing, only small wood screws to
fix it and electrical connection was to the ceiling light wiring. Because of
its position there were no nearby joists to screw the fan to and he had to
screw to laths - although he did use longer ones with bolts to try to get it
more stable. Spouse told Neighbour that he didn't think it would be safe,
Neighbour insisted that he needed it. Spouse told Neighbour that he wouldn't
be responsible if it fell down, Neighbour said it wouldn't fall down, it was
a 'good make'. Spouse said if it came down while it was moving it could
cause a lot of damage. Neighbour said it wouldn't.

shrug

We wouldn't have one in any case but certainly not of that design.

Mary

Tournifreak August 1st 06 12:38 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
writes:
Guy King wrote:
The message
from Mike Scott contains
these words:

Should I not even attempt this? Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

Considering how much weight I've got in my loft on the same size joists
I don't reckon you've got anything to worry about.

For a start, do you ever walk in the loft? If so you must be putting
more load than that on the joists as you walk about.

Quite so. I've seen 3' fans on this joist size without any problem.

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

_Please_ don't tell Prescott!

Cicero August 1st 06 01:03 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

"Tournifreak" wrote in message
ups.com...

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
writes:
Guy King wrote:
The message
from Mike Scott contains
these words:

Should I not even attempt this? Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

Considering how much weight I've got in my loft on the same size

joists
I don't reckon you've got anything to worry about.

For a start, do you ever walk in the loft? If so you must be putting
more load than that on the joists as you walk about.

Quite so. I've seen 3' fans on this joist size without any problem.

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

_Please_ don't tell Prescott!

======================
Not when he's standing under one, anyway.

Cic.

----
It has removed 123 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Mary Fisher August 1st 06 01:36 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

"Tournifreak" wrote in message
ups.com...

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
writes:
Guy King wrote:
The message
from Mike Scott contains
these words:

Should I not even attempt this? Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

Considering how much weight I've got in my loft on the same size
joists
I don't reckon you've got anything to worry about.

For a start, do you ever walk in the loft? If so you must be putting
more load than that on the joists as you walk about.

Quite so. I've seen 3' fans on this joist size without any problem.

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

_Please_ don't tell Prescott!

No, just seat him under one and hope.

Mary

Mary Fisher August 1st 06 02:10 PM

"Owain" wrote in message
Tournifreak wrote:
About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

_Please_ don't tell Prescott!

I wonder how many people are killed by garish christmas lights on the
outside of their houses ...

I wish ...

marvelus August 1st 06 03:43 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

On 31 Jul 2006 20:58:37 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article . com,
writes:
Guy King wrote:
The message
from Mike Scott contains
these words:

Should I not even attempt this? Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

Considering how much weight I've got in my loft on the same size joists
I don't reckon you've got anything to worry about.

For a start, do you ever walk in the loft? If so you must be putting
more load than that on the joists as you walk about.

Quite so. I've seen 3' fans on this joist size without any problem.

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things
falling down when operating.

125,000,000 to 1
I like thoes odds.

Frank Erskine August 1st 06 07:10 PM

On 1 Aug 2006 08:45:09 -0700, wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

There used to be rules regarding ceiling fans in commercial premises,
such as that they had to be fastened to joists using studding (screwed
rods) rather than woodscrews.

surely those are more likely to come undone than woodscrews? 3" screws
should be very secure.

Not if you peen over the ends of the studding after fitting the nuts.

--
Frank Erskine

Mary Fisher August 1st 06 07:53 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

There used to be rules regarding ceiling fans in commercial premises,
such as that they had to be fastened to joists using studding (screwed
rods) rather than woodscrews.

surely those are more likely to come undone than woodscrews? 3" screws
should be very secure.

Not if you peen over the ends of the studding after fitting the nuts.

Whoever said 3" screws was not reading. I said "very small" - which is not
3".

Spouse is very careful and capable. As I said, there were no joist within
reach. He did the best he could.

Mary

Guy King August 1st 06 08:17 PM

ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

The message
from Frank Erskine contains these words:

surely those are more likely to come undone than woodscrews? 3" screws
should be very secure.

Not if you peen over the ends of the studding after fitting the nuts.

Or use nylocs.

--
Skipweasel