Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what does intermediate switch mean in electrics

Looking to purchase new sockets and switches, am I likely to need
intermediate switches, what is the difference from ones that arent
intermediate exactly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You will only need an intermediate light switch if you have lights that
switch on and off from 3 or more places, for e.g. 3or more different dorways
into/out of a room/hallway.

If you have lights that switch on and off from 2 places, then it is 2 way
switches that you will need.

woodglass...

"Gogs" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looking to purchase new sockets and switches, am I likely to need
intermediate switches, what is the difference from ones that arent
intermediate exactly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gogs wrote:
Looking to purchase new sockets and switches, am I likely to need
intermediate switches, what is the difference from ones that arent
intermediate exactly

Intermediate switches are used, for example, in a three way lighting system
that you might have in your hallway and landing. You might have a "normal"
switch at one end of the hall, one upstairs, and an intermediate switch by
the front door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch#Intermediate_switch

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jul 2006 05:11:43 -0700 Gogs wrote :
Looking to purchase new sockets and switches, am I likely to need
intermediate switches, what is the difference from ones that arent
intermediate exactly

One-way switches are on/off. Two-way switches are used where you
need two switches controlling the same light, e.g. two entrances to
a room, top and bottom of stairs etc. One or more intermediate
switches can be wired in between two two-way switches where you need
more than two switches controlling the same light. In my flat I've
got this: switches by the living room, bedroom and front doors, any
one of which operate the same lights.

Light switch problem John Home Repair 5 April 2nd 06 03:59 PM
Switch wiring question [email protected] UK diy 9 January 9th 06 06:38 PM
Cord operated intermediate switch Richard UK diy 13 January 10th 05 11:03 AM
how to rewire bathroom pull switch to regular light switch Nick UK diy 20 January 20th 04 08:57 PM
help selecting a manual transfer switch wahzoo Home Repair 13 December 13th 03 02:50 AM