DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chop! Chop! (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/169935-chop-chop.html)

Weatherlawyer July 21st 06 06:24 PM

Chop! Chop!

Which way does the bolt unwind on a Boschmann chop saw? I can't seem to
budge it in either direction. The thing cuts anticlockwise and the
arrow points thataway so I presume the thread is a standard direction
and I need to unwind it in a clockwise motion.

Also the spindle stop that you push in to arrest the blade while
unwinding it, can't be held in place so I have jury rigged a spanner
across it and wrapped a tie around it. That can't be the design can it?
What moron came up with that brilliant idea?

The3rd Earl Of Derby July 21st 06 07:00 PM

Chop! Chop!

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Which way does the bolt unwind on a Boschmann chop saw? I can't seem
to budge it in either direction. The thing cuts anticlockwise and the
arrow points thataway so I presume the thread is a standard direction
and I need to unwind it in a clockwise motion.

Also the spindle stop that you push in to arrest the blade while
unwinding it, can't be held in place so I have jury rigged a spanner
across it and wrapped a tie around it. That can't be the design can
it? What moron came up with that brilliant idea?

I would imagine it would turn anti clockwise ie the opposite to the
roatation of the blade?

These saw blades are put on with a drill type tool and you will have to
crack the tension,probably with a *impact driver*

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Weatherlawyer July 21st 06 08:33 PM

Chop! Chop!

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

Which way does the bolt unwind on a Boschmann chop saw? I can't seem
to budge it in either direction. The thing cuts anticlockwise and the
arrow points thataway so I presume the thread is a standard direction
and I need to unwind it in a clockwise motion.

I would imagine it would turn anti clockwise ie the opposite to the
roatation of the blade?

These saw blades are put on with a drill type tool and you will have to
crack the tension,probably with a *impact driver*

It's always nice to meet someone who knows less than me. However in
your case I will make that an exception as I have just sheared the
bolt.

So that's £30 quid down the sawannee if I can find someone to tap it
out. And another £20 or £30 for the new blade.

Good here innit?

I must say I am sigularly unimpressed with the quality of steel use
dint eh manufacture of the bolt. I would have thought it could take a
little more stress than I gave it with the odd angle and poor purchase
I had on it.

And to think if I had been born of monkeys I could have made it to
President!

The3rd Earl Of Derby July 21st 06 09:26 PM

Chop! Chop!

Weatherlawyer wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

[...]

Hey! listen jerk,don't go blaming me for your inconceivable hamfistedness
in not knowing how much force to hit the head of the impact driver(if you
did do it that way?)on a certain sized nut/screw.

It worked for me on a Taiwan effort chop saw which was proving a bugger to
shift the nut.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Dave Plowman (News) July 21st 06 09:54 PM

Chop! Chop!

In article . com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
Which way does the bolt unwind on a Boschmann chop saw? I can't seem to
budge it in either direction. The thing cuts anticlockwise and the
arrow points thataway so I presume the thread is a standard direction
and I need to unwind it in a clockwise motion.

Generally - and luckily - the opposite direction to the rotation of the
blade. Which means you can allow the teeth of the blade to bite into scrap
to hold it still.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

mrcheerful . July 21st 06 11:41 PM

Chop! Chop!

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Which way does the bolt unwind on a Boschmann chop saw? I can't seem to
budge it in either direction. The thing cuts anticlockwise and the
arrow points thataway so I presume the thread is a standard direction
and I need to unwind it in a clockwise motion.

Also the spindle stop that you push in to arrest the blade while
unwinding it, can't be held in place so I have jury rigged a spanner
across it and wrapped a tie around it. That can't be the design can it?
What moron came up with that brilliant idea?

it is usually easy to tell. just imagine that if the saw turned as it
usually does, but there was a spanner on the nut, then the nut would get
tighter, therefore the average saw has a standard type thread, so undo it by
turning anti clockwise.

[email protected] July 22nd 06 12:55 AM

Chop! Chop!

mrcheerful
. wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Which way does the bolt unwind on a Boschmann chop saw? I can't seem to
budge it in either direction. The thing cuts anticlockwise and the
arrow points thataway so I presume the thread is a standard direction
and I need to unwind it in a clockwise motion.

Also the spindle stop that you push in to arrest the blade while
unwinding it, can't be held in place so I have jury rigged a spanner
across it and wrapped a tie around it. That can't be the design can it?
What moron came up with that brilliant idea?

it is usually easy to tell. just imagine that if the saw turned as it
usually does, but there was a spanner on the nut, then the nut would get
tighter, therefore the average saw has a standard type thread, so undo it by
turning anti clockwise.

Who buys a Boschmann chop saw?

Weatherlawyer July 22nd 06 03:06 PM

Chop! Chop!

wrote:

Don't top post.

You have been warned!

I saw a chop saw in Aldi for about £65 -with a draw arm on it too but
it was 240v.

I went to B&Q and found a new blade for mine is going to cost me £45.
This bloody 110volt nonsense is a bloody con.

The3rd Earl Of Derby July 22nd 06 04:36 PM

Chop! Chop!

Weatherlawyer wrote:
wrote:

Don't top post.

You have been warned!

He didn't.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Weatherlawyer July 22nd 06 04:40 PM

Chop! Chop!

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

He didn't.

I never said he did. The self righteous bs got up my nose and I didn't
have time to be clever.

Paul Herber July 22nd 06 04:50 PM

Chop! Chop!

On 22 Jul 2006 07:06:12 -0700, "Weatherlawyer"

Don't top post.

You have been warned!

I saw a chop saw in Aldi for about £65 -with a draw arm on it too but
it was 240v.

I went to B&Q and found a new blade for mine is going to cost me £45.
This bloody 110volt nonsense is a bloody con.

Assuming that you are the only Weatherlawyer (not sure about this as
sometimes your posts make some sort of vague sense), are you allowed
to use power tools?

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/