Old July 19th 06, 07:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mixing plumbing fittings??

I'm a novice so please don't shoot me down!!!

I'm doing a bathroom remodel and I want to add a few valves (Including
replacement of two valves in loft) My problem is that I'm nervous of
using compression fittings. As I can solder, is it possible to mix the
fittings, for example could I use an end feed tap connector on the
compression ball valve? The threads look the same...

Or is there a better method?

Old July 19th 06, 08:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I only ask because I have a case full of comp. fittings from a friend.
cheers

Old July 19th 06, 08:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav Gav is offline

Olly D wrote:
I'm a novice so please don't shoot me down!!!

I'm doing a bathroom remodel and I want to add a few valves (Including
replacement of two valves in loft) My problem is that I'm nervous of
using compression fittings. As I can solder, is it possible to mix the
fittings, for example could I use an end feed tap connector on the
compression ball valve? The threads look the same...

Or is there a better method?

use the compression joints as they are supposed to be used and you
shoulnt have much problems, do not over tighten the compression fitting
and make sure you check all joints after refilling with water. if still
in doubt get plenty of buckets!
Old July 19th 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it as they say, tighten by hand as much as poss, and then one full
turn?

Old July 19th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Olly D wrote:
Is it as they say, tighten by hand as much as poss, and then one full
turn?

I always tighten until they creak or judder a little bit. Then put on
water. Any drips, tighten slightly. Note that brass olives need more
force than the copper ones. Also note, if the pipe itself is not
constrained in some way, often it will turn a bit as you tighen the
fitting, which can be a problem if orientation matters. I have never
had to use jointing paste, PTFE etc.

One thing that I always wonder about. Most of the fittings that come
with olives (service valves etc) seem to have copper olives, but brass
ones are more commonly available in packets. Explanation anyone ?

Good luck,
Simon.

Old July 19th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Olly D wrote:

I'm doing a bathroom remodel and I want to add a few valves (Including
replacement of two valves in loft) My problem is that I'm nervous of
using compression fittings. As I can solder, is it possible to mix the
fittings, for example could I use an end feed tap connector on the
compression ball valve? The threads look the same...

An unusual problem in that most novices start with compression fittings
but are scared of soldered ones! :-)

It's a bit of an odd solution; yes, the threads are the same and it
should probably work OK. However, for a start, notice that the end of
the ball valve fitting has a conical profile, designed to mate up with
an olive in a compression fitting; whereas the comparable end of a tap
is flat in profile, intended to but against the fibre washer which
you'll see inside your tap connector - ie, the seals are different.
That said, it should still seal OK, but IMHO it would be an unnecessary
bodge and also look ugly; furthermore you are introducing two extra
joints at every ball valve for no good reason.

Don't be scared of compression fittings; they are far easier than
soldering. Also easier to dismantle and try again in the unlikely event
of a leak (which anyway would only be likely to be a drip, rather than a
torrent!) Try googling this newsgroup for lots of tips.

David

Old July 19th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Olly D" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a novice so please don't shoot me down!!!

I'm doing a bathroom remodel and I want to add a few valves (Including
replacement of two valves in loft) My problem is that I'm nervous of
using compression fittings. As I can solder, is it possible to mix the
fittings, for example could I use an end feed tap connector on the
compression ball valve? The threads look the same...

Do not do that. The thread for a compression nut on a fitting is not BSP.
If it is it more lock than anything. Best buy a compression flexible tap
connector with an integral isolation valve.

Old July 19th 06, 10:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I think I'll have a go at the compression fittings then, I was put off
mainly by googling to be honest!
Should also confront ones fears!

Many thanks.

Old July 19th 06, 11:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Olly D" wrote in
ups.com:

Is it as they say, tighten by hand as much as poss, and then one full
turn?

I grease the threads lightly so I can feel resistance properly, tighten up
till the pipe is gripped firmly, maybe a bit more - you don't want it
popping out when you turn the water on! - and then pull them up a bit more
if they're weeping.

I'm mortally afraid of overtightening, necking the pipe, specially if
there's only a short bit, because my hovel was previously owned by a
gorilla.

And never ever put a compression fitting in a spot that will be bricked or
tiled over like the ******* professionals who knocked out a wall in my
bog/bathroom did! They may start to weep if disturbed by someone changing a
cistern ball valve.

DAMHIK Grrrr

mike
Old July 19th 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Olly D wrote:
My problem is that I'm nervous of using compression fittings.

Then just get on & use some. Such diffidence will be replaced by
confidence.

As I can solder, is it possible to mix the
fittings, for example could I use an end feed tap connector on the
compression ball valve? The threads look the same...

If you can solder, you can use two spanners. Look up the manufacturers'
website if you need instructions on how to make a compresssion joint.

Mixing compression and tap connectors would be a bodge; use compression
olives on compression fittings.

The tap connector is a parallel BSP thread and the sealing is by a
compressing the fibre washer between two flat faces. The compression
fitting won't have a suitable flat face.

Different manufacturers of compression fittings use different threads.
Some use BSP threads, others use a finer metric thread.