DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Towel Warmers (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/169469-towel-warmers.html)

[email protected] July 17th 06 05:49 PM

Towel Warmers

Hi,

Is any one able to recommend an electric chrome towel warmer that does
not require additional bonding on installation. Is this bonding really
necessary these days or will electricians always insist on it?

Many thanks,
Darren.

David Hansen July 17th 06 06:06 PM

Towel Warmers

Is any one able to recommend an electric chrome towel warmer that does
not require additional bonding on installation.

Installed where? Fixed or portable?

In a room containing a bath or shower, not if one is expected to
justify it in the subsequent court case. While such cases are not
inevitable they are something to consider, even if one doesn't give
two hoots for the safety of those using the bathroom.

Is this bonding really necessary these days

Other than in a room which has the misfortune of plastic plumbing,
yes.

If you wanted a simple party politician style answer then sorry, but
there is not one.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

[email protected] July 17th 06 06:29 PM

Towel Warmers

What have you got against earth bonds? They're quick to fit and cost
little. And damn important in bathrooms and if your house has TN-C-S
(PME) earthing.

Andy Wade July 17th 06 06:57 PM

Towel Warmers

wrote:

Is any one able to recommend an electric chrome towel warmer that does
not require additional bonding on installation.

Are you aware that the bonding connection does not have to be made to
the body of the towel rail? You can bond to the earth terminal in the
FCU, flex outlet or whatever is feeding the appliance, and the bonding
can be completely invisible.

--
Andy

John Rumm July 17th 06 10:34 PM

Towel Warmers

wrote:

Is any one able to recommend an electric chrome towel warmer that does
not require additional bonding on installation. Is this bonding really
necessary these days or will electricians always insist on it?

You realise the earth wire in the connection to the rail can also serve
as a bonding connection (i.e. no need for separate wires)?

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Andrew Gabriel July 18th 06 08:08 AM

Towel Warmers

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
wrote:

Is any one able to recommend an electric chrome towel warmer that does
not require additional bonding on installation. Is this bonding really
necessary these days or will electricians always insist on it?

You realise the earth wire in the connection to the rail can also serve
as a bonding connection (i.e. no need for separate wires)?

The circuit will still need cross bonding to all the other
circuits in the bathroom if it isn't already.

--
Andrew Gabriel

[email protected] July 18th 06 12:37 PM

Towel Warmers

I'm quite confused now! I have the normal electric socket on the wall
with an earth in it. I also have an earth wire coming directly out the
wall to the left of it? I'm particularly keen to not to have any wires
looking unsightly?

David Hansen July 18th 06 01:25 PM

Towel Warmers

On 17 Jul 2006 10:29:59 -0700 someone who may be "
wrote this:-

What have you got against earth bonds?

You didn't indicate which part of my posting you were replying to,
which makes it rather difficult to comment too much.

However, what makes you think that I have anything against
supplementary bonding?

Even if I did, that is irrelevant. All I did say was that the
protective conductor in short lengths of flex is considered adequate
enough for the supplementary bonding to run only to the cord outlet
and not the appliance. I didn't make any comment on whether I
thought this was good or bad.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen July 18th 06 01:29 PM

Towel Warmers

On 18 Jul 2006 04:37:23 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

I have the normal electric socket on the wall
with an earth in it.

It might help if you told us which room this socket is in.

I'm particularly keen to not to have any wires
looking unsightly?

There is no need to do this, for reasons others have already given.
Whether something "unsightly" but safer is a good idea or not is a
matter of personal prejudice.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

[email protected] July 18th 06 01:31 PM

Towel Warmers

wrote:
I'm particularly keen to not to have any wires
looking unsightly?

Only you can answer that one.