DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Very Loud hissing noise (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/169446-very-loud-hissing-noise.html)

[email protected] July 17th 06 03:51 PM

Very Loud hissing noise

We have just installed a CGH system and changed the pipes to be mains
fed. This has caused a very loud hissing sound to start coming out from
all the taps when used.

My plumber has said that this is happenening as he has joined 15 mm new
pipes to the existing 22 mm pipes. To change the whole pipe work wil be
costly.

Please could someone provide a solution in terms of changing the taps
etc so that the noise is subdued etc.

Richard Conway July 17th 06 03:53 PM

Very Loud hissing noise

wrote:
We have just installed a CGH system and changed the pipes to be mains
fed. This has caused a very loud hissing sound to start coming out from
all the taps when used.

Ah, I see your problem, you need to connect the taps to the water supply
instead of the gas. Easy mistake to make.

[email protected] July 17th 06 03:57 PM

Very Loud hissing noise

Apologies. Should have clarified that they are connected to the water
but the water comes out of the taps with this loud noise

[email protected] July 17th 06 05:07 PM

Very Loud hissing noise

wrote:
Apologies. Should have clarified that they are connected to the water
but the water comes out of the taps with this loud noise

1. add a restriction further back than the taps. A service valve
partway closed will do it. This divides and moves the hissing, moves it
to behind obstacles instead of by your ears.
2. Lag the pipes, this absorbs sound

NT

TheScullster July 17th 06 05:18 PM

Very Loud hissing noise

wrote

We have just installed a CGH system and changed the pipes to be mains
fed. This has caused a very loud hissing sound to start coming out from
all the taps when used.

Could simply be that the plumber has opened the water stop cock further
after doing the job than it was when he shut off to make the changes IYSWIM.
Does water come out of the mains fed cold taps faster than before he
started?
Closing down the stop cock a bit may cure it, but may also affect combi
performance - don't know about combis, don't have one!

Phil

The Natural Philosopher July 17th 06 06:42 PM

Very Loud hissing noise

wrote:
Apologies. Should have clarified that they are connected to the water
but the water comes out of the taps with this loud noise

Let the air get out.

Andrew Gabriel July 17th 06 06:45 PM

Very Loud hissing noise

In article ,
"." writes:
Richard Conway wrote:
Ah, I see your problem, you need to connect the taps to the water
supply instead of the gas. Easy mistake to make.

LOL

ISTR someone discovering that one of their washing machine
inlet pipes was fed from the gas supply in a new house...

--
Andrew Gabriel

raden July 17th 06 09:53 PM

Very Loud hissing noise

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"." writes:
Richard Conway wrote:
Ah, I see your problem, you need to connect the taps to the water
supply instead of the gas. Easy mistake to make.

LOL

ISTR someone discovering that one of their washing machine
inlet pipes was fed from the gas supply in a new house...

There was a case a few years ago where a fitter cross connected the gas
and water pipes

--
geoff

oh-news July 18th 06 05:47 PM

Very Loud hissing noise

Ah, I see your problem, you need to connect the taps to the water
supply instead of the gas. Easy mistake to make.

ISTR someone discovering that one of their washing machine
inlet pipes was fed from the gas supply in a new house...

There was a case a few years ago where a fitter cross connected the gas
and water pipes

Another brilliant case here...: