DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Loft power socket? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/168900-loft-power-socket.html)

- July 11th 06 09:38 PM

Loft power socket?

Up in my loft I need to add a power socket which will be used to power one
tv amplifier.

There is the lighting circuit up there, and conveniently near to where I
need the socket, there is a brown juntion box which just has 1 twin+earth
in, and one the same out. Perhaps someone used this to join the cables?

Anyway. Can I just connect a length of twin+earth into here, then connect
the other end into a 5A single socket.

I'll have to cut the flex from the TV amp and fit a 5A fuse with the rounded
pins to fit the socket.

Does this sound OK?

Ideally i'd like a double socket up there because for a while whilst i'm
installing the aerial stuff i'd maybe like a spare "normal pin" socket
available to charge a small power tool, but these perhaps could be
misinterpreted as a "proper" socket in the future and someone might overload
the lighting circuit?

I'm also understanding that this wouldnt be notifiable under part P? I do
have some old cable length up there I could use.......but then again the 5A
socket I buy will probably have a date on it somewhere.......

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Steve Walker July 11th 06 09:44 PM

Loft power socket?

-GB-Carpy wrote:
Up in my loft I need to add a power socket which will be used to
power one tv amplifier.

There is the lighting circuit up there

I had a TV amp wired direct to the lighting circuit for years, it only used
about 10w and was perfectly happy. I wouldn't advise using any form of
plug/socket arrangement though, it's inviting an accidental overload.

John July 11th 06 11:09 PM

Loft power socket?

"Owain" wrote in message
-GB-Carpy wrote:
Up in my loft I need to add a power socket which will be used to power
one tv amplifier.
There is the lighting circuit up there, and conveniently near to where I
need the socket, there is a brown juntion box which just has 1 twin+earth
in, and one the same out. Perhaps someone used this to join the cables?

Yebbut is that a joint in the line+neutral, or in the
switchedlive+neutral, in which case your telly will only work when the
appropriate light is on.

Anyway. Can I just connect a length of twin+earth into here, then connect
the other end into a 5A single socket.

Yes

I'll have to cut the flex from the TV amp and fit a 5A fuse

plug - the round pin ones are unfused

with the rounded pins to fit the socket.
Does this sound OK?

Yes

Ideally i'd like a double socket up there because for a while whilst i'm
installing the aerial stuff i'd maybe like a spare "normal pin" socket
available to charge a small power tool, but these perhaps could be
misinterpreted as a "proper" socket in the future and someone might
overload the lighting circuit?

That is why an ordinary 13A socket should not be fitted on a lighting
circuit. You /could/ take the supply through a prominently-marked 3A fused
connection unit to the socket as a way of reducing the badness.

If you only need it to charge a power tool why can't you charge it
elsewhere?

I'm also understanding that this wouldnt be notifiable under part P? I do
have some old cable length up there I could use.......but then again the
5A socket I buy will probably have a date on it somewhere.......

Only thing I can foresee is that if you have a TT installation you need a
30mA RCD on all sockets, and your lighting circuit might be on a 100mA RCD
(or no RCD). Technically I think the RCD requirement would apply to a 5A
socket but it would certainly apply to a 13A socket.

Owain

I used a 2 amp clock point for a TV amplifier.

The Natural Philosopher July 11th 06 11:39 PM

Loft power socket?

-GB-Carpy wrote:
[...]

I would probably put in a switched fused spur with a 5A fuse in it..

Not sure if its kosher or not...

- July 12th 06 12:37 AM

Loft power socket?

-GB-Carpy wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

The existing junction box must be in the live + neutral because the amp is
powered when the loft light is turned off.

The upstairs lighting circuit is on a 6A RCD.

The consensus on here and on another forum where I asked the same question,
seems to be that the best way to do this is to use a FCU fitted with a 3A
fuse, and clearly mark it as follows

"MAXIMUM LOAD 3 AMP / 600 WATTS"

Also, there is a bit of banter going on as to whether this work will require
a minor works certificate. There is agreement that the work is not
notifiable, but disagreement as to the certificate.

We're not planning on selling the house anytime soon, so I guess whatever
the outcome I don't need to worry?

Thanks again for the replies.

David Hansen July 12th 06 08:05 AM

Loft power socket?

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:37:23 GMT someone who may be "-GB-Carpy"
wrote this:-

The consensus on here and on another forum where I asked the same question,
seems to be that the best way to do this is to use a FCU fitted with a 3A
fuse,

Indeed, perhaps with a cord outlet near to the amplifier.

and clearly mark it as follows

"MAXIMUM LOAD 3 AMP / 600 WATTS"

I don't see any need for that on the FCU. If anyone in the future
wishes to re-arrange the fixed wiring then one of the first things
they need to do is ascertain what circuits things are connected to.

However, if installing a 13A socket on the lighting circuit it
should certainly be permanently marked in this way and perhaps a
different colour.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

TMC July 12th 06 10:25 AM

Loft power socket?

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Depends on how useful your loft space may become

Years ago looking to future use I started with a spur off of the house ring
main routed through the airing cupboard to a single socket and switched fuse
spur for the loft light. Became very useful when I later boarded the loft
and now runs the network hub and TV booster splitter

Tony

Christian McArdle July 12th 06 10:54 AM

Loft power socket?

There is the lighting circuit up there, and conveniently near to where I
need the socket, there is a brown juntion box which just has 1 twin+earth
in, and one the same out. Perhaps someone used this to join the cables?

Fine, if it is permanent live.

Anyway. Can I just connect a length of twin+earth into here, then connect
the other end into a 5A single socket.

Yes.

I'll have to cut the flex from the TV amp and fit a 5A fuse with the

rounded
pins to fit the socket.

The round pin plugs are not usually fused. The fuse will be the 5/6A
fuse/MCB at the consumer unit.

Does this sound OK?

Yes.

Ideally i'd like a double socket up there because for a while whilst i'm
installing the aerial stuff i'd maybe like a spare "normal pin" socket
available to charge a small power tool, but these perhaps could be
misinterpreted as a "proper" socket in the future and someone might

overload
the lighting circuit?

Indeed. I would not do this. Just use an extension lead from downstairs if
you can't extend or spur from the ring.

Christian.