DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Reassembling old 2hp outboard motor - 3 qns, TIA. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/168652-reassembling-old-2hp-outboard-motor-3-qns-tia.html)

Al Deveron July 9th 06 07:55 PM

Reassembling old 2hp outboard motor - 3 qns, TIA.

Hello, I'm trying my hand at servicing an old 1988 Evinrude Junior 2hp
motor, and have 3 questions:

a) Bi-metal corrosion occurs where stainless steel bolts go into an
alloy casing. I saw some liquid in a chandlery to inhibit this
effect, but it was very expensive. Does it really work? Is there a
cheap alternative?

b) The impellor blades (that pump sea water around the cylinder) are
neoprene. Should they be greased before
reassembly?

d) What kind of grease should I use for the spiral starting chord
return spring?

Thanks...

AL Deveron

Brian G July 9th 06 09:04 PM

Al Deveron wrote:
Hello, I'm trying my hand at servicing an old 1988 Evinrude Junior 2hp
motor, and have 3 questions:

a) Bi-metal corrosion occurs where stainless steel bolts go into an
alloy casing. I saw some liquid in a chandlery to inhibit this
effect, but it was very expensive. Does it really work? Is there a
cheap alternative?

b) The impellor blades (that pump sea water around the cylinder) are
neoprene. Should they be greased before
reassembly?

d) What kind of grease should I use for the spiral starting chord
return spring?

Thanks...

AL Deveron

AL,

I don't have the answers to your questions, but you may get your answers a
lot quicker at --- uk.rec.boats.motor --- as it seems to be a lively
newsgroup.

Brian G