Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT wheelie bin pollution rant

"Dave" wrote

Is it just me that find wheelie bins noise-polluters?

SNIP...........

Don't get me on wheelie bins.
As many will point out, they must be positioned with pin-point accuracy and
oriented to the nth degree to stand a chance of avoiding the George Orwell
sticker treatment. As for any degree of overloading - forget it.
As a family of four we generate about 5-6 bin bags of rubbish per week - and
yes that is with recycling everything possible. Previously these would all
have been removed.
So us and families like us make individual trips to the tip creating noise
pollution, environmental pollution and using far more resources of course,
to take the rubbish that won't fit in the one-size-suits-noone wheelie bin.
The council gets the same money for removing about 40% less waste.
The bin-men (refuse relocation engineers) get ideas above their station
because they are given a degree of control over what should and should not
be removed/acceptable practice.

Progress.............Pah

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message

Don't get me on wheelie bins.
As many will point out, they must be positioned with pin-point accuracy
and oriented to the nth degree to stand a chance of avoiding the George
Orwell sticker treatment.

They don't here, we've never had a sticker. I suspect that you're
exaggerating the 'pin-point' accuracy of positioning, doing it well would be
good here.

As for any degree of overloading - forget it.

Here the only test of overloading is whether the men can wheel the bins
easily. If they're too heavy (e.g. filled with building rubble) it could
damage the lifting gear, we were told. I can believe it.

As a family of four we generate about 5-6 bin bags of rubbish per week -
and yes that is with recycling everything possible. Previously these
would all have been removed.

Heavens, there were seven of us and we never generated that amount ... Now
we hardly fill two carrier bags a week - but there are only two of us.

So us and families like us make individual trips to the tip creating noise
pollution, environmental pollution and using far more resources of course,
to take the rubbish that won't fit in the one-size-suits-noone wheelie
bin.
The council gets the same money for removing about 40% less waste.
The bin-men (refuse relocation engineers) get ideas above their station

Um - what's their station?

because they are given a degree of control over what should and should not
be removed/acceptable practice.

Quite right too. Ours care about what they do, they're conscientious, clean
and courteous. I do wish they'd leave the bins where they weren't
obstructing the footpath but nobody complains, it seems. I move them, others
walk round them.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Quite right too. Ours care about what they do, they're conscientious,
clean and courteous. I do wish they'd leave the bins where they weren't
obstructing the footpath but nobody complains, it seems. I move them,
others walk round them.

Mary

We have very good bin-men. We leave our bins just inside our drive being on
a dog-walking route. We have a supply of sack bags which are filled and
just get lifted out and our bins don't go near the cart. Sometimes the bins
are even wheeled back up the drive. And when I have forgotten they will
even come looking for it. We have had the same men coming for years and a
sort of rapport has built up starting with me forgetting to put the rubbish
bags out and stopping them on their way back (live in a cul-de-sac) plus I
always say or wave a thank you if I see them. A bit of acknowledgement goes
a long way!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

As a family of four we generate about 5-6 bin bags of rubbish per week
- and
yes that is with recycling everything possible.

Good grief, where does it all come from?

We're a family of four and generally half fill a mid-sized wheelybin in
a fortnight. We missed a collection over Easter 'cos we were away for
the night and even after four weeks it wasn't full once it'd been helped
down a bit.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

[...]

I agree seven bags seems excessive.

Some people generate unnecessary waste. I used to
share with a person who, every time he returned
from sainsburys, would leave the kitchen bin completely
full - with his empty plastic bags. The idea that he
should use them again just never occured to him.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote in message

We have very good bin-men. We leave our bins just inside our drive being
on a dog-walking route. We have a supply of sack bags which are filled
and just get lifted out and our bins don't go near the cart. Sometimes the
bins are even wheeled back up the drive. And when I have forgotten they
will even come looking for it. We have had the same men coming for years
and a sort of rapport has built up starting with me forgetting to put the
rubbish bags out and stopping them on their way back (live in a
cul-de-sac) plus I always say or wave a thank you if I see them. A bit of
acknowledgement goes a long way!

That's what I've found. We always thank them if we see them. If we've had a
problem they've listened to us, answered us (politely if hurriedly) and we
have no complaints.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

As a family of four we generate about 5-6 bin bags of rubbish per week
- and
yes that is with recycling everything possible.

Good grief, where does it all come from?

We're a family of four and generally half fill a mid-sized wheelybin in
a fortnight. We missed a collection over Easter 'cos we were away for
the night and even after four weeks it wasn't full once it'd been helped
down a bit.

Phew! It's not just the Fishers then :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
[...]

Has anyone tried dumping the refuse that is refused collection in their
local council office and demanding that they see to it?
And what was the result?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pinot Grigio wrote:

[...]

I have a hobby job at our local primary school and the school gets
charged for every lift that the bin men do. 4 bins = 4 lifts.

During the half term and summer holidays, I have taken the step of
opening the school gates and leaving a car in the car park. Every time I
do this, I get a free lift.

I was once there when they did a lift and asked them about refuse
collection during the holidays. The team leader told me that he liked to
look after his schools and he has continued to do that to this day, I am
pleased to say. I just wish that it was within my remit to give them a
treat.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 21:12:03 +0100, Dave wrote
(in article ):

TheScullster wrote:
[...]

No, but it's something that I've always wanted to do.

I've got the Victor Meldrew starter kit as well, but the bureaucrats always
seem to cave in.

It's no good - you can't even get joy in complaining any more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message

Has anyone tried dumping the refuse that is refused collection in their
local council office and demanding that they see to it?
And what was the result?

Try it and see - don't leave it to others.

Mary

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 21:12:03 +0100, Dave wrote
(in article ):

Has anyone tried dumping the refuse that is refused collection in their
local council office and demanding that they see to it?
And what was the result?

Dave

No, but it's something that I've always wanted to do.

I've got the Victor Meldrew starter kit as well, but the bureaucrats always
seem to cave in.

It's no good - you can't even get joy in complaining any more.

Oh! I don't know about that.

The landlord at my real ale pub has tempted me to ask questions about
every thing that our local council do. He is of the same mind, as he
insists that the council regularly 'steals' money from him.

He justifies this by saying that we, as a council tax payer, have no
redress against the council's ability to stop them from dipping their
hand in our pockets and taking out what ever they think they need.

This, to my mind, is theft, in anyone's language. I have to agree with him.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
news

The landlord at my real ale pub has tempted me to ask questions about
every thing that our local council do. He is of the same mind, as he
insists that the council regularly 'steals' money from him.

He justifies this by saying that we, as a council tax payer, have no
redress against the council's ability to stop them from dipping their hand
in our pockets and taking out what ever they think they need.

This, to my mind, is theft, in anyone's language. I have to agree with
him.

Dave

So stand for election to the council on a reduced tax policy :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "tim \(back at home\)" contains
these words:

As a family of four we generate about 5-6 bin bags of rubbish per week -
and yes that is with recycling everything possible. Previously these
would all have been removed.

Heavens, there were seven of us and we never generated that amount
... Now
we hardly fill two carrier bags a week - but there are only two of us.

I agree seven bags seems excessive.

There's a family very similar to use down the road who generate between
two and three times as much waste as we do in a week. It appears mostly
to be food packaging.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:59:52 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote

Is it just me that find wheelie bins noise-polluters?

SNIP...........

Don't get me on wheelie bins.
As many will point out, they must be positioned with pin-point accuracy and
oriented to the nth degree to stand a chance of avoiding the George Orwell
sticker treatment. As for any degree of overloading - forget it.
As a family of four we generate about 5-6 bin bags of rubbish per week - and
yes that is with recycling everything possible. Previously these would all
have been removed.

I have to say if you're creating that much rubbish *after* recycling I
think you should get some help.

So us and families like us make individual trips to the tip creating noise
pollution, environmental pollution and using far more resources of course,
to take the rubbish that won't fit in the one-size-suits-noone wheelie bin.
The council gets the same money for removing about 40% less waste.
The bin-men (refuse relocation engineers) get ideas above their station
because they are given a degree of control over what should and should not
be removed/acceptable practice.

Progress.............Pah

Phil

--