Old July 6th 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ants eating through brick mortar!

Hello all,

Any remedy for the problem of ants eating through brick mortar? I know I
should have put down ant powder to stop the ants getting established. But is
there something I can treat the existing mortar with so they leave it alone
in future, e.g. spray?

At the moment they seem to be nesting in the wall cavity, and if i fill up
the holes they just drill a hole through the wet cement. I guess I need to
wait until the colony is dead.

Any advice welcome,

Bill.

Old July 6th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" no-email wrote in message
Hello all,

Any remedy for the problem of ants eating through brick mortar? I know I
should have put down ant powder to stop the ants getting established. But
is there something I can treat the existing mortar with so they leave it
alone in future, e.g. spray?

At the moment they seem to be nesting in the wall cavity, and if i fill up
the holes they just drill a hole through the wet cement. I guess I need to
wait until the colony is dead.

Any advice welcome,

Bill.

You can get lots of products in DIY stores for killing ants. No need to ask
here, go and look.
Think what you would do if you didn't have an internet connection - what
would you do?

Old July 6th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" no-email wrote in message
Hello all,

Any remedy for the problem of ants eating through brick mortar? I

know I
should have put down ant powder to stop the ants getting

established. But is
there something I can treat the existing mortar with so they leave

it alone
in future, e.g. spray?

At the moment they seem to be nesting in the wall cavity, and if i

fill up
the holes they just drill a hole through the wet cement. I guess I

need to
wait until the colony is dead.

Any advice welcome,

Bill.

Mix ant powder in with the new mortar?

AWEM

Old July 6th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
Hello all,

Any remedy for the problem of ants eating through brick mortar? I
know I should have put down ant powder to stop the ants getting
established. But is there something I can treat the existing mortar
with so they leave it alone in future, e.g. spray?

At the moment they seem to be nesting in the wall cavity, and if i
fill up the holes they just drill a hole through the wet cement. I
guess I need to wait until the colony is dead.

Any advice welcome,

Bill.

Repoint the brickwork with a fairly strong mix of sand and cement, don't
just try to fill in visible holes...and BTW, ants can neither drill holes
nor eat mortar, they simply walk in through holes.

Old July 6th 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
Hello all,

Any remedy for the problem of ants eating through brick mortar? I know I
should have put down ant powder to stop the ants getting established. But is
there something I can treat the existing mortar with so they leave it alone
in future, e.g. spray?

At the moment they seem to be nesting in the wall cavity, and if i fill up
the holes they just drill a hole through the wet cement. I guess I need to
wait until the colony is dead.

Any advice welcome,

Bill.

Something to look for which I used years ago, but have seen recently
(Wilkinsons?) is Deathlac. It is a spray on transparent coating
containing insecticide. Ants and other crawling insects apparently pick
up enough to kill them when they walk over it. ISRT it was effective
when sprayed around a door to stop them getting in through the small
gaps. However recently, not having any, I sprayed the wall with
ordinary ant powder and enough stuck on in the dry weather to stop them
getting in

Malcolm
Old July 6th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Bill wrote:

Any remedy for the problem of ants eating through brick mortar? I

Repoint the brickwork with a fairly strong mix of sand and cement, don't
just try to fill in visible holes...and BTW, ants can neither drill holes
nor eat mortar, they simply walk in through holes.

maybe theyre SDS ants. Evolution in action.

NT

Old July 7th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Reminds me of beetles I had a while back,put petrol down to try and kill
them off...no chance they came out on motorbikes. ;-)

I thought that was rockers, not Beatles.

--
Skipweasel