DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   cheapest place for hammerite direct to rust metal paint? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/168194-cheapest-place-hammerite-direct-rust-metal-paint.html)

Haymish Pupkin July 5th 06 12:28 PM

cheapest place for hammerite direct to rust metal paint?

Can't believe how much Homebase are charging for this stuff, especially as
the spray can I bought the other day clogged up after 30 seconds and is now
unusable with a third still left in the tin. Wasted another third trying to
get it to work. Needless to say, I'm now looking for a tin of paint rather
than a spray can.

The3rd Earl Of Derby July 5th 06 12:43 PM

Haymish Pupkin wrote:
Can't believe how much Homebase are charging for this stuff,
especially as the spray can I bought the other day clogged up after
30 seconds and is now unusable with a third still left in the tin.
Wasted another third trying to get it to work. Needless to say, I'm
now looking for a tin of paint rather than a spray can.

If its white or black? you want try a discount car accessories shop.
Its about 4gbp near me how much did you pay?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Haymish Pupkin July 5th 06 04:16 PM

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Haymish Pupkin wrote:
Can't believe how much Homebase are charging for this stuff,
especially as the spray can I bought the other day clogged up after
30 seconds and is now unusable with a third still left in the tin.
Wasted another third trying to get it to work. Needless to say, I'm
now looking for a tin of paint rather than a spray can.

If its white or black? you want try a discount car accessories shop.
Its about 4gbp near me how much did you pay?

Well I just bought some from FocusDIY as they had a special offer on.

2 x 750ml tins for £20 normal price £12.99 each so worked out cheaper per
litre than buying the 2.5 litre tin for £34.99 (you get more of a discount
the more you buy)

Not what I'd call a bargain but a bit of a saving. No deals to be had at
homebase or B&Q

Thanks

The3rd Earl Of Derby July 5th 06 04:38 PM

Haymish Pupkin wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Haymish Pupkin wrote:
Can't believe how much Homebase are charging for this stuff,
especially as the spray can I bought the other day clogged up after
30 seconds and is now unusable with a third still left in the tin.
Wasted another third trying to get it to work. Needless to say, I'm
now looking for a tin of paint rather than a spray can.

If its white or black? you want try a discount car accessories shop.
Its about 4gbp near me how much did you pay?

Well I just bought some from FocusDIY as they had a special offer on.

2 x 750ml tins for £20 normal price £12.99 each so worked out cheaper
per litre than buying the 2.5 litre tin for £34.99 (you get more of a
discount the more you buy)

Not what I'd call a bargain but a bit of a saving. No deals to be had
at homebase or B&Q

Thanks

That is cheap then. ;-)

With the lid firmly attached, turn the tin upside down to stop the skin
forming on the top when storing.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

raden July 5th 06 08:49 PM

cheapest place for hammerite direct to rust metal paint?

In message , Haymish
Pupkin writes
Can't believe how much Homebase are charging for this stuff, especially as
the spray can I bought the other day clogged up after 30 seconds and is now
unusable with a third still left in the tin. Wasted another third trying to
get it to work. Needless to say, I'm now looking for a tin of paint rather
than a spray can.

I pay £3.50 / can from my local car accessory shop when I buy 12 cans

--
geoff

Peter Johnson July 6th 06 04:46 PM

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:49:58 GMT, raden wrote:

I pay £3.50 / can from my local car accessory shop when I buy 12 cans

If you are buying that much try a trade decorator centre and see if
you can negotiate a quantity discount. Dulux and Hammerite are both
owned by ICI so branches of the former should have a good stock of the
latter but branches of Crown stock it as well.

raden July 6th 06 08:21 PM

cheapest place for hammerite direct to rust metal paint?

In message , Peter Johnson
writes
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:49:58 GMT, raden wrote:

I pay £3.50 / can from my local car accessory shop when I buy 12 cans

If you are buying that much try a trade decorator centre and see if
you can negotiate a quantity discount. Dulux and Hammerite are both
owned by ICI so branches of the former should have a good stock of the
latter but branches of Crown stock it as well.

I thought of doing that, but so far haven't got round to it

--
geoff

Peter Johnson July 7th 06 03:37 PM

cheapest place for hammerite direct to rust metal paint?

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 16:46:49 +0100, Peter Johnson
wrote:

If you are buying that much try a trade decorator centre and see if
you can negotiate a quantity discount. Dulux and Hammerite are both
owned by ICI so branches of the former should have a good stock of the
latter but branches of Crown stock it as well.

Having said that, the Dulux branches near to me have a reputation for
being expensive and inflexible so you might be better off trying
Crown.