Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveBurr

Default Part P questions

I've spent several days reading web sites and posts on Part P but it's
all too conflicting.
Can anyone tell me whether the following are legal to do DIY:

In an airing cupboard in a bathroom.
Insert a (battery powered) timer between the (MCD protected) live wire
and the wall mounted, 13A fused switch connected to a 3KW immersion
heater. No wires to be added.
[Irony: if I can't do it, I won't; consuming more electricity. So much
for the ecological goals of the regulations].

Replace the flex for the above with an identical one.
[Irony: if I can't do it, I won't; leaving in place a flex with the
insulation getting very brittle.
So much for the safety goals of the regulations.
More irony: according to the regs I can't upgrade this wire.
Is a flex to a 20-year old specification as good as a recent one?]

Replace the three way valve in my CH with an identical one. Valve is
Honeywell Y Plan V4073A1039 with it's own flex, so the wiring to the
connection blocks, as such, doesn't change.

Replace the timer in my CH with a system compatible but better one,
without wiring change. E.G. Honeywell Y Plan ST6400C1003.
[Irony: if I can't do it, I won't; consuming more power, the current
timer doesn't support independant Heat and Water.
So much for the ecological goals of the regulations].

If legal, any tips/gotchas on doing the the above two tasks would be
appreciated.

In the kitchen:
Replace the hot water inlet solenoid on my Washing machine.

In case it's relevant: CH Boiler, CH Pump and Mains Distribution Unit
were upgraded (and the house was Building Control inspected ) two years
ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Regardless of what other websites may say, the definitive document is
he
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1164183

The critical bit on page 8 says:

Replacing any fixed electrical equipment ok (so that's your immersion
timer, 3 way valve and central heating control) .

Replacing the cable for a single circuit ok (so that's your immersion
flex).

Washing machine internals are not a fixed appliance so not covered by
PartP.

Other work isn't DIY forbidden, but requires you to send a building
notice to your local BCO.

IANAL and all the usual caveats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "SteveBurr" contains these words:

Can anyone tell me whether the following are legal to do DIY:

Personally, I'd do any of them and sod the rules.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bioboffin

Default OT: Part P questions

Guy King wrote:
The message .com
from "SteveBurr" contains these words:

Can anyone tell me whether the following are legal to do DIY:

Personally, I'd do any of them and sod the rules.

Isn't this the complete issue with respect to the current debate on law and
order in the uk. (I have added OT to the start of the subject line so that
those who don't want to see this can opt out easily)

You are quite correct: a silly law is one which people ignore. (Wait for the
outrage that this is really a sensible law - but really, is it
'enforceable'?)

Take 'mobile phone use while driving'. Huge numbers of people ignore this
law because nobody has the resources to enforce it.

We would be a lot better off with fewer laws which were rigorously enforced.

Sorry for taking up everyone's time/bandwidth, but I do it BECAUSE I
CAN!!!!!

:-)

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Bioboffin" contains these words:

You are quite correct: a silly law is one which people ignore.

Quite so. I need to fit some sockets in my conservatory - so I shall.
I'm debating whether to run a new ring back to a spare way on the
fuseboard or whether to just extend the existing ring through the wall,
but whichever I do I shall be doing it myself.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:12:29 +0100, Guy King wrote:

The message .com
from "SteveBurr" contains these words:

Can anyone tell me whether the following are legal to do DIY:

Personally, I'd do any of them and sod the rules.

So would I and I totally agree with the OP that these regs will result in more
danger because there will be necessary work not done, more extension leads, more
adapters, more multi-wired plugs etc.

ISTR 5 deaths / annum were the excuse. I wonder if we'll ever be told how many
there are in the future ?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message .com
from "SteveBurr" contains these words:

In an airing cupboard in a bathroom.
Insert a (battery powered) timer between the (MCD protected) live wire
and the wall mounted, 13A fused switch connected to a 3KW immersion
heater. No wires to be added.
[Irony: if I can't do it, I won't; consuming more electricity. So much
for the ecological goals of the regulations].

Replace the flex for the above with an identical one.
[Irony: if I can't do it, I won't; leaving in place a flex with the
insulation getting very brittle.

This time use the proper heat resistant flex. :-)

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveBurr

Roger wrote:
Replace the flex for the above with an identical one.
[Irony: if I can't do it, I won't; leaving in place a flex with the
insulation getting very brittle.

This time use the proper heat resistant flex. :-)

Not Guilty, installed "professionally" twenty years ago.
I suspect the term "heat resistant" is only relative.
After the first, very helpful, post I went out, got the right cable and
fitted it.
It's identical to the original - except the Blue core hasn't turned
black at the end . Actually the Neutral connection was loose, so that
probably caused the heat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:28:52 GMT someone who may be "Bioboffin"
wrote this:-

We would be a lot better off with fewer laws which were rigorously enforced.

Indeed. I gather the Labour Party scumbags have introduced 60 Laura
'n Order laws in 9 years as they try and respond to the red top
newspapers. Quite ridiculous.

An excellent suggestion is that for every new law introduced at
least one old one should be discontinued.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh