DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Super glue and fibreglass mat (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/166398-super-glue-fibreglass-mat.html)

[email protected] June 21st 06 09:39 PM

Super glue and fibreglass mat

Just restored some rotten part of my ply clinker built sailing dinghy
with super glue but have lost a layer of the ply about 5 sq. ins. Does
super glue work with fibreglass matting ?

The3rd Earl Of Derby June 21st 06 09:51 PM

wrote:
Just restored some rotten part of my ply clinker built sailing dinghy
with super glue but have lost a layer of the ply about 5 sq. ins.
Does super glue work with fibreglass matting ?

Dunno? but why not use the *davids* range of fiberglass matting fillers
from car accessories shops?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Chris Bacon June 21st 06 10:12 PM

david wrote:
Just restored some rotten part of my ply clinker built sailing dinghy
with super glue but have lost a layer of the ply about 5 sq. ins. Does
super glue work with fibreglass matting ?

It doesn't work with damp...

Newshound June 21st 06 10:52 PM

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
david wrote:
Just restored some rotten part of my ply clinker built sailing dinghy
with super glue but have lost a layer of the ply about 5 sq. ins. Does
super glue work with fibreglass matting ?

It doesn't work with damp...

and nor does superglue, eventually

The Natural Philosopher June 22nd 06 10:34 AM

wrote:
Just restored some rotten part of my ply clinker built sailing dinghy
with super glue but have lost a layer of the ply about 5 sq. ins. Does
super glue work with fibreglass matting ?

Yes. But its not as good as polyester.

You can tack the mat in with CA, but do use polyester or epoxy to 'fill
the mat'

I would not recommend CA for water use either...I am not sure it doesn't
soften in soaking.

[email protected] June 22nd 06 02:12 PM

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Just restored some rotten part of my ply clinker built sailing dinghy
with super glue but have lost a layer of the ply about 5 sq. ins. Does
super glue work with fibreglass matting ?

Yes. But its not as good as polyester.

You can tack the mat in with CA, but do use polyester or epoxy to 'fill
the mat'

I would not recommend CA for water use either...I am not sure it doesn't
soften in soaking.

Thanks for the info everybody. Will try the matting and maybe a thin
veneer to cover it all up.

p.s. Did some more research - CA glue is water activated polymer and
waterproof.

The Natural Philosopher June 23rd 06 01:36 AM

wrote:
Just restored some rotten part of my ply clinker built sailing dinghy
with super glue but have lost a layer of the ply about 5 sq. ins. Does
super glue work with fibreglass matting ?

Yes. But its not as good as polyester.

You can tack the mat in with CA, but do use polyester or epoxy to 'fill
the mat'

I would not recommend CA for water use either...I am not sure it doesn't
soften in soaking.

Thanks for the info everybody. Will try the matting and maybe a thin
veneer to cover it all up.

p.s. Did some more research - CA glue is water activated polymer and
waterproof.

However its strength and appearance seems to change when wet..

[email protected] June 23rd 06 12:42 PM

wrote:

Just restored some rotten part of my ply clinker built sailing dinghy
with super glue but have lost a layer of the ply about 5 sq. ins. Does
super glue work with fibreglass matting ?

Yes. But its not as good as polyester.

You can tack the mat in with CA, but do use polyester or epoxy to 'fill
the mat'

I would not recommend CA for water use either...I am not sure it doesn't
soften in soaking.

Thanks for the info everybody. Will try the matting and maybe a thin
veneer to cover it all up.

p.s. Did some more research - CA glue is water activated polymer and
waterproof.

you need to stick with marine grade adhesives, else you'll likely be
wasting time. Most landlubber adhesives are not upto marine use, its a
much harsher environment.

NT