DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gluing roofing felt (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/166019-gluing-roofing-felt.html)

[email protected] June 18th 06 04:24 PM

Gluing roofing felt

Hi

I want to glue 2 strips of roofing felt where they overlap, as theyre
on a very shallow sloped roof. Is deckbond ok for this? Or less likely,
exterior no more nails type adhesives? This is for shed roof, not
house.

I realise gluing felt with a 4" overlap on a very low pitch roof is not
ideal, but I can either do this and come back and reroof in several
years, or reroof completely now, plus I've already got the bits to do
the glue job, plus access time will be tight, so the quick option makes
more sense this time.

thanks, NT

Chris Bacon June 18th 06 07:39 PM

Gluing roofing felt

wrote:
I want to glue 2 strips of roofing felt where they overlap, as theyre
on a very shallow sloped roof. Is deckbond ok for this? Or less likely,
exterior no more nails type adhesives? This is for shed roof, not
house.

Don't use either, get a tin of Ruberoid lap adhesive or similar. Do
not get it on your clothes or skin, it stains.

Dave Fawthrop June 18th 06 08:11 PM

Gluing roofing felt

On 18 Jun 2006 08:24:08 -0700, wrote:

|Hi
|

|I want to glue 2 strips of roofing felt where they overlap, as theyre
|on a very shallow sloped roof. Is deckbond ok for this? Or less likely,
|exterior no more nails type adhesives? This is for shed roof, not
|house.
|
|I realise gluing felt with a 4" overlap on a very low pitch roof is not
|ideal, but I can either do this and come back and reroof in several
|years, or reroof completely now, plus I've already got the bits to do
|the glue job, plus access time will be tight, so the quick option makes
|more sense this time.

I used bitumen out of a tin, spread with a sweeping brush. Held with
galvanised clout nails. Still waterproof after many years.

Guy King June 18th 06 08:31 PM

Gluing roofing felt

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

I used bitumen out of a tin, spread with a sweeping brush. Held with
galvanised clout nails. Still waterproof after many years.

You nailed the bitumen down? I'm bloody glad we don't get wind like that
round here!

--
Skipweasel

Dave Fawthrop June 18th 06 09:44 PM

Gluing roofing felt

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:31:37 +0100, Guy King wrote:

|The message
|from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:
|
| I used bitumen out of a tin, spread with a sweeping brush. Held with
| galvanised clout nails. Still waterproof after many years.
|
|You nailed the bitumen down? I'm bloody glad we don't get wind like that
|round here!

Oversnipping is a curse of usenet :-(

Tim S June 18th 06 11:45 PM

Gluing roofing felt

Guy King wrote:

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these
words:

I used bitumen out of a tin, spread with a sweeping brush. Held with
galvanised clout nails. Still waterproof after many years.

You nailed the bitumen down? I'm bloody glad we don't get wind like that
round here!

You don't live in Kent then? ;-

Seriously, I just re-felted the shed after the wind ripped the entire centre
strip off - For a small shed (2.5x1.5m ish) I used 3/4 gallon of black
goop, *and* clout nails every 3" (closer at the sides of the roof). Goop is
cheap and nails are cheap, so I figured - what the hell...

Cheers

Tim

Guy King June 19th 06 12:09 AM

Gluing roofing felt