Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One for the wrinklies - BSA Top tube shifter

Hi All,

I did ask over in rec.bicycles.tech, but got only one reply......

Does anyone here remember what the internals of a BSA top tube shifter
should be like?

That is to say a BSA manufactured (and possibly designed) gear shifter
which attaches to the top tube of a bicycle to control a 3 speed
Sturmey Archer type hub?

I am trying to get one working, but it looks as though someone has been
in there before me.

Most bits seem to be there exceprt for the bit that the cable attaches
to. It looks like i'll have to make something, but if any of you with
long memories can remember what the original was like, it would help.

Picture is at

http://static.flickr.com/57/167561522_47c2457931_m.jpg

The oblong bit with 2 holes on the right of the lever is I think a
previous owners attempt to make up something to attach the cable. The
item on the right is the cover plate that goes on the outside of the
lever, I imagine that it would have been possible to change a cable
using the access hole in this.

The end of the cable and the nipple are at the left and from the way
the cable (run bare without an outer) is routed on the frame, if it
were to run horizontal it would come in at the top of the half moon
shaped plate. This would be no good, so I assume it actualy runs
downwards Hmm.... it's not obvious from the picture, but the cable
entry is only from about
8.30 - 6.30 (if you think of the half moon plate as the bottom of a
clock face.

Anyways, i've burbled enough.

All (polite, non injurious, and physically possible) sugestions
welcome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

[...]

I don't know about BSA shifters for SA 3-speeds, but you can still buy
genuine SA shifters. Have a look at
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm and scroll down to Gear Shifters.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Hi All,

snip burbling)

I don't know about BSA shifters for SA 3-speeds, but you can still buy
genuine SA shifters. Have a look at
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm and scroll down to Gear Shifters.
--

Thanks Roger,

I may be wrong, but I doubt even they have top tube shifters in Stock.

The hub is in fact also BSA and while I think it probably would work
with a modern (or older) handlebar mounted trigger, or an SA top tube
(correctly called quadrant shifter) from ebay, i'd like to get the
original going if I can.

It's so nearly complete, it really should be possible, but i'd rather
not design from scratch if I don't have to.

It may be that I end up taking a modern one apart and modding the cable
nipple holding thingie to fit.

Please keep the suggestions comming guys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

wrote:

Please keep the suggestions comming guys.

try asking in uk.rec.cycling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Chris Bacon

wrote:
I did ask over in rec.bicycles.tech, but got only one reply......

u.r.cycling??

[...]

I've got one of those fitted to a bike, but it's about 300 miles
away.

You could well try a cycling shop (that does repairs as well as
sales, not Halfrauds or similar).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

====================
Buy new he http://www.cyclesofyesteryear.com/

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterK

wrote in message
[...]

From http://www.sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html#bsa
there are a series of Sturmey Archer links ( yes I know BSA but they may
have common features) & at
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/gear.html there is
http://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/hanc...satriggers.pdf an illustration
of a top tube mounted shifter showing the cable not entering the shifter but
being connected to the shift lever external to the "case"

Peter K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From http://www.sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html#bsa
there are a series of Sturmey Archer links ( yes I know BSA but they may
have common features) & at
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/gear.html there is
http://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/hanc...satriggers.pdf an illustration
of a top tube mounted shifter showing the cable not entering the shifter but
being connected to the shift lever external to the "case"

Peter K

Thanks for the replies guys.

I had had a look at Sheldon Browns site and also at the SA Heritage
Site, but haven't found any exploded diagrams yet (though i'm told
there may be one in a Brown Brothers catalogue on the SA Heritage
site).

With regard to Cycles of Yesteryear, I did manage to touch base with
the proprieter yesterday, he doesn't sell new top mounted shifters, but
is going to look through his box of bits to see if he has a second hand
one.

I have discovered that an SA one won't do :=(( (unless it would be
possible to modify it) as part of the deal between SA and BSA was that
they (BSA) would make theirs non compatible (so they couldn't steal
SA's spare part & replacement cables & shifter business I suppose).

I have also discovered that the SA round top tube type shifters were
known as "banjo" shifters (Thanks to Peter Read of Phoenix Hub Repairs
in Milton Keynes)

I think even Sheldon Brown would have to take off his epicyclic sandals
in the presence of Peter, he has written a huge book which lists the
history and just about everything else there is to know about SA.

I think you are right that the BSA shifter should have a rod coming out
of it for the cable to connect to, just wish i'd paid more attention
the other exibitors bikes at the annual Amberly Museum vintage cycle
day last month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Gotit!

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.co...p?id=309&pic=1

Don't know how long it will be there, but for anyone who comes
"googling after" at the moment it's there in the 1930's brown Brothers
catalogue.

Perhaps I should put the bike to one side and get on with fixing the
TARDIS, then I could nip down to Brown brothers and pick up the bit I
need for 9d!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

It has removed 110 spam emails to date.
Get the free SPAMfighter he http://www.spamfighter.com/len

Wayne Dalton Torquemaster and iDrive self-Install (Long) Scott Home Repair 3 March 2nd 05 04:34 AM
rolling a bead on tube ends richard Metalworking 1 February 8th 04 06:55 PM
Tech Review: Victor's (8liners/Genao) Replacement Arcade RGB Monitor Chassis (LONG) Pac-Fan Electronics Repair 22 November 26th 03 01:56 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 05:30 AM
Re; Tube coping JTMcC Metalworking 0 September 25th 03 01:44 AM