Posted to uk.d-i-y
Darren

Default Flow restrictors

I have just had a new combi boiler fitted, so my bathroom water is now at
mains pressure.

My basin taps are Monobloc, Ceramic disc, Dualflow, Dual control. To
prevent water splashing everywhere due to the very high flow rates I have to
only slightly open them (a fraction of a turn). The problem is I now get a
horrible high pitched noise from the taps when they are only slightly opened
(goes away when opened more fully). When I suggested fitting isolating
valves and partially closing them, the plumber said I would get a similar
noise from the valve instead.

Are there inline flow reducing valves that won't make this noise? If so,
does anyone recommend any particular make?

Thanks, Darren.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:19:33 +0100, "Darren" wrote:

I have just had a new combi boiler fitted, so my bathroom water is now at
mains pressure.

My basin taps are Monobloc, Ceramic disc, Dualflow, Dual control. To
prevent water splashing everywhere due to the very high flow rates I have to
only slightly open them (a fraction of a turn). The problem is I now get a
horrible high pitched noise from the taps when they are only slightly opened
(goes away when opened more fully). When I suggested fitting isolating
valves and partially closing them, the plumber said I would get a similar
noise from the valve instead.

Are there inline flow reducing valves that won't make this noise? If so,
does anyone recommend any particular make?

Thanks, Darren.

Just go and buy some quarter-turn in-line valves for the pipes.
They will act as isolators to remove the taps as well as flow
restrictors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Darren wrote:

I have just had a new combi boiler fitted, so my bathroom water is now at
mains pressure.

My basin taps are Monobloc, Ceramic disc, Dualflow, Dual control. To
prevent water splashing everywhere due to the very high flow rates I have to
only slightly open them (a fraction of a turn). The problem is I now get a
horrible high pitched noise from the taps when they are only slightly opened
(goes away when opened more fully). When I suggested fitting isolating
valves and partially closing them, the plumber said I would get a similar
noise from the valve instead.

perhaps, but likely not. If you want to get the most silence, put the
valves under the floorboards and put pipe lagging over as much of the
pipe and valve down there as possible. Lagging acts as acoustic
damping. The heavier the lagging the better.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Darren wrote:

I have just had a new combi boiler fitted, so my bathroom water is now at
mains pressure.

My basin taps are Monobloc, Ceramic disc, Dualflow, Dual control. To
prevent water splashing everywhere due to the very high flow rates I have to
only slightly open them (a fraction of a turn). The problem is I now get a
horrible high pitched noise from the taps when they are only slightly opened
(goes away when opened more fully). When I suggested fitting isolating
valves and partially closing them, the plumber said I would get a similar
noise from the valve instead.

perhaps, but likely not. If you want to get the most silence, put the
valves under the floorboards and put pipe lagging over as much of the
pipe and valve down there as possible. Lagging acts as acoustic
damping. The heavier the lagging the better.

Another option is to remove tap from pipe and insert some potable rod
in the pipe. Restriction over a longer length is far less prone to
generating any noise. Maybe a bit of microbore, squashed at one end.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Are there inline flow reducing valves that won't make this noise? If so,
does anyone recommend any particular make?

My experience has been the opposite and turning down the isolators is
usually effective.

However, you should also check your mains static pressure. You may be in
need of a pressure reducing valve if the input pressure is much above 3 bar.
Once you start geting around 5 or 6 bar, plumbing starts to get really quite
noisy and unmanageable.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Darren

Are there inline flow reducing valves that won't make this noise? If so,
does anyone recommend any particular make?

My experience has been the opposite and turning down the isolators is
usually effective.

Sorry, can clarify, are you saying isolators do or don't make noise.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

My experience has been the opposite and turning down the isolators is
usually effective.

Sorry, can clarify, are you saying isolators do or don't make noise.

They don't make noise. If they do make a noise, it will be a fraction of the
volume. YMMV. etc.

In any case, you should have isolators anyway.

Christian.