Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Will

Default [OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

Why does the Royal Mail have all these weird and wonderful values for
single stamps?

I can't for the life of me see how the stamp values relate to any
usefulness based on the cost of sending a letter. But there must be
some sort of conection like this.

Can anyone work it out?

This page http://tinyurl.com/fpf9u shows the value of individual
stamps I can get from my post office are as follows:

1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

And thse pages is a list of charge bands for different weights of
first or second class post:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/j...9&catId=400028
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/j...0&catId=400028

What is the connection?
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Chris Bacon

Will wrote:
Why does the Royal Mail have all these weird and wonderful values for
single stamps?

They pick random numbers out of a hat.

Perhaps you could ask them.
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Willy Eckerslyke

Will wrote:
Why does the Royal Mail have all these weird and wonderful values for
single stamps?

1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

What is the connection?

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you choose,
by using no more than three stamps.
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Neil Sunderland

Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
[stamp values]
1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you choose,
by using no more than three stamps.

How can you make 17p with just three stamps? Is the 9 supposed to be
an 8?

Neil Sunderland
--
Braunton, Devon
Please observe the Reply-To address.

NP: Black Crowes - Sting Me (from the album 'Southern Harmony & Musical Companion')
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Grumps

Neil Sunderland wrote:
Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
[stamp values]
1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you
choose, by using no more than three stamps.

How can you make 17p with just three stamps? Is the 9 supposed to be
an 8?

10 + 5 + 2

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Neil Sunderland

Grumps wrote:
How can you make 17p with just three stamps? Is the 9 supposed to be
an 8?

10 + 5 + 2

*slaps forehead*

Neil Sunderland
--
Braunton, Devon
Please observe the Reply-To address.

NP: The Smashing Pumpkins - Soma (from the album 'Siamese Dream')
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Gavin

Neil Sunderland wrote:
Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
[stamp values]

1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you choose,
by using no more than three stamps.

How can you make 17p with just three stamps? Is the 9 supposed to be
an 8?

Neil Sunderland

10p + 5p + 2p ;-)

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
LSR

Neil Sunderland wrote:
Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
[stamp values]
1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you
choose, by using no more than three stamps.

How can you make 17p with just three stamps? Is the 9 supposed to be
an 8?

Neil Sunderland

Neil - don't bother entering "Countdown" :-)
--
LSR

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
raden

In message , Neil Sunderland
writes
Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
[stamp values]
1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you choose,
by using no more than three stamps.

How can you make 17p with just three stamps? Is the 9 supposed to be
an 8?

Err ... 10, 5 & 2 ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Chris Bacon

Neil Sunderland wrote:
Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
[stamp values]

1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you choose,
by using no more than three stamps.

How can you make 17p with just three stamps? Is the 9 supposed to be
an 8?

OH NO NOT ANOTHER ONE!

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Paul Ebbens

"Neil Sunderland" wrote in message
Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
[stamp values]
1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you choose,
by using no more than three stamps.

How can you make 17p with just three stamps? Is the 9 supposed to be
an 8?

Erm 17p = 10 + 5 + 2 ??

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Bob Mannix

"Paul Ebbens" wrote in message

"Neil Sunderland" wrote in message
Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
[stamp values]
1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you choose,
by using no more than three stamps.

How can you make 17p with just three stamps? Is the 9 supposed to be
an 8?

Erm 17p = 10 + 5 + 2 ??

We've moved on from there. You can't do 33p or 36p though - so there!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Peter Masson

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Paul Ebbens" wrote in message

"Neil Sunderland" wrote in message
Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
[stamp values]
1 pence
2
5
9
10
20
37
42
44
49
50
72

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you

choose,
by using no more than three stamps.

We've moved on from there. You can't do 33p or 36p though - so there!

That list doesn't include 1st and 2nd class stamps. You can do
33p = 1st class (32) + 1p
36p = 1st class (32) + 2p + 2p.

Peter

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Will wrote:
[...]

If your paying for something via a *Postal Order* and the value comes to
3.62GBP the stamps make up the *pence* difference as the PO are in GBP only

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Andy Burns

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If your paying for something via a *Postal Order*

Don't think I've used a PO in the last 30 years, presume they are barely
used these days?

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Andy Burns wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If your paying for something via a *Postal Order*

Don't think I've used a PO in the last 30 years, presume they are
barely used these days?

Some ebayers do, as do pensioners even.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Guy King

The message
from Andy Burns contains these words:

Don't think I've used a PO in the last 30 years, presume they are barely
used these days?

I'd love to use ours - but it's shut. To post anything larger than a
letter (and our letterbox has gone too) I have to walk a couple of
miles. Or wait till I'm out in the car.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
John B

Default Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

Guy King wrote:
in a thread about postal orders
Don't think I've used a PO in the last 30 years, presume they are barely
used these days?

I'd love to use ours - but it's shut. To post anything larger than a
letter (and our letterbox has gone too) I have to walk a couple of
miles. Or wait till I'm out in the car.

I haven't used a PO in years - however, I've used a DIPSY, a LA-LA and
a TINKY-WINKY. I've also used an ARNO and a TIBER.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Andy Burns contains these words:

Don't think I've used a PO in the last 30 years, presume they are barely
used these days?

I'd love to use ours - but it's shut. To post anything larger than a
letter (and our letterbox has gone too) I have to walk a couple of
miles. Or wait till I'm out in the car.

Oh - I assumed he meant postal orders!

We have several post offices around, I used to walk to them before the
arthritis got bad :-( now i send spouse, he enjoys any excuse to get on his
scooter.

Mary

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Paul Scott

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If your paying for something via a *Postal Order*

Don't think I've used a PO in the last 30 years, presume they are barely
used these days?

They have only recently updated the entire postal order system, due to their
much increased use for ebay small purchases, IIRC

Paul

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Mary Fisher

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If your paying for something via a *Postal Order*

Don't think I've used a PO in the last 30 years, presume they are barely
used these days?

We're not sent many but they are still around.

My mother used to send me cash but then started using postal orders because
they were more secure. But she never even put my name on them ...

Mary

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Theo Markettos

In uk.railway Mary Fisher wrote:
[Postal Orders]
We're not sent many but they are still around.

My mother used to send me cash but then started using postal orders because
they were more secure. But she never even put my name on them ...

I had reason to apply to the Egyptian Embassy for a visa about two years ago.
For some reason the only currency they accepted was Postal Orders. I think
it was 18 pounds so I sent two nine-pound orders. All bone fide, but for
sone reason it seemed "as bent as a nine bob note".

Theo
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Mary Fisher

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
In uk.railway Mary Fisher wrote:
[Postal Orders]
We're not sent many but they are still around.

My mother used to send me cash but then started using postal orders
because
they were more secure. But she never even put my name on them ...

I had reason to apply to the Egyptian Embassy for a visa about two years
ago.
For some reason the only currency they accepted was Postal Orders. I
think
it was 18 pounds so I sent two nine-pound orders. All bone fide, but for
sone reason it seemed "as bent as a nine bob note".

You got an Eguptian visa for £18?

I had to pay $50 for a WAIVER US visa :-(

Mary

Theo

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Tony Polson

Andy Burns wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If your paying for something via a *Postal Order*

Don't think I've used a PO in the last 30 years, presume they are barely
used these days?

I regularly use Postal Orders. I bought three last week alone.

There is a new system, where the Post Office counter staff insert a
pre-printed postal order into the label printer and the Postal Order
gets printed with the payee's name, the amount - and the crossing if
required. No stamps required!

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Mary Fisher

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If your paying for something via a *Postal Order*

Don't think I've used a PO in the last 30 years, presume they are barely
used these days?

I regularly use Postal Orders. I bought three last week alone.

There is a new system, where the Post Office counter staff insert a
pre-printed postal order into the label printer and the Postal Order
gets printed with the payee's name, the amount - and the crossing if
required. No stamps required!

I like that idea but I haven't received any.

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Tony Polson

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

There is a new system, where the Post Office counter staff insert a
pre-printed postal order into the label printer and the Postal Order
gets printed with the payee's name, the amount - and the crossing if
required. No stamps required!

I like that idea but I haven't received any.

Then perhaps you should sell something, otherwise you might wait a
whole lifetime without someone sending you one.

;-)
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Fred

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If your paying for something via a *Postal Order*

Don't think I've used a PO in the last 30 years, presume they are barely
used these days?

I used a couple a few years back. The cashpoint machines were out of order
in the town we were staying and I had a chequebook with me. The PO would
charge us £3.00 for cashing a cheque or alternatively I could buy a postal
order and then cash that for a lot less "commission".

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Peter King

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

snip

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/j...9&catId=400028
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/j...0&catId=400028

What is the connection?

If your paying for something via a *Postal Order* and the value comes to
3.62GBP the stamps make up the *pence* difference as the PO are in GBP only

Postal orders do not work like that anymore

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Mary Fisher

"Will" wrote in message
Why does the Royal Mail have all these weird and wonderful values for
single stamps?

I can't for the life of me see how the stamp values relate to any
usefulness based on the cost of sending a letter. But there must be
some sort of conection like this.

Can anyone work it out?

No.

What's worse are the special issue stamps - I call them 'fancy' stamps and
do like them but they have 1st, 2nd then jump to high values which don't
correspond to any real charges.

I send a lot of packets and parcels and it's frustrating. I've asked Royal
Mail about it but haven't had a satisfactory reply. I have to keep a large
stock of stamps which is quite an investment. The alternative is to go to
the post office several times a week which costs time and petrol so is
environmentally unfriendly. Most of our packets are small enough to go into
a pillar box but weigh more than 100g.

Mary

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Tony Bryer

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:51:05 +0100 Mary Fisher wrote :
What's worse are the special issue stamps - I call them 'fancy' stamps and
do like them but they have 1st, 2nd then jump to high values which don't
correspond to any real charges.

They correspond to rates for air mail letters

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Charles Ellson

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 23:55:43 +1000, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:51:05 +0100 Mary Fisher wrote :
What's worse are the special issue stamps - I call them 'fancy' stamps and
do like them but they have 1st, 2nd then jump to high values which don't
correspond to any real charges.

They correspond to rates for air mail letters

The basic set of four are the minimum values for 1st Class, 2nd Class,
Air Mail and Europe.
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Tony Polson

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

What's worse are the special issue stamps - I call them 'fancy' stamps and
do like them but they have 1st, 2nd then jump to high values which don't
correspond to any real charges.

On the contrary, at least some of the higher values are just right for
overseas mail.

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Tom Burton

I send a lot of packets and parcels and it's frustrating. I've asked Royal
Mail about it but haven't had a satisfactory reply. I have to keep a large
stock of stamps which is quite an investment. The alternative is to go to
the post office several times a week which costs time and petrol so is
environmentally unfriendly. Most of our packets are small enough to go

into
a pillar box but weigh more than 100g.

Cant you get that thing on your computer where you print your own stamps to
whatever value you like?

I would look it up on the wibbly wobbnly way but NTL is having a blip at the
moment.

Tom

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Ross

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:37:01 GMT, Tom Burton wrote in
, seen in uk.railway:

I send a lot of packets and parcels and it's frustrating. I've asked Royal
Mail about it but haven't had a satisfactory reply. I have to keep a large
stock of stamps which is quite an investment. The alternative is to go to
the post office several times a week which costs time and petrol so is
environmentally unfriendly. Most of our packets are small enough to go
into a pillar box but weigh more than 100g.

Can't you get that thing on your computer where you print your own stamps to
whatever value you like?

Are you thinking of Smartstamp?

It works well, and if you're bored you can design pretty logos to use,
but you don't get it free: you have to pay for the privilege of having
an account...
--
Ross, in Lincoln, most likely being cynical or sarcastic, as ever.
Reply-to will bounce. Replace the junk-trap with my name to e-mail me.

Demonstration of poor photography: http://www.rosspix.me.uk - updated with Czech photos
AD: http://www.merciacharters.co.uk for European charters occasionally gripped by me
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
C!

Mary Fisher wrote:
I send a lot of packets and parcels and it's frustrating. I've asked Royal
Mail about it but haven't had a satisfactory reply. I have to keep a large
stock of stamps which is quite an investment. The alternative is to go to
the post office several times a week which costs time and petrol so is
environmentally unfriendly. Most of our packets are small enough to go into
a pillar box but weigh more than 100g.

Mary

Use "Smartstamp" then. You print your own stamps (well a 2D barcode)
on your computer. Costs £5 per month plus postage costs IIRC.

Not quite sure of the relevance of this thread to uk.railway though

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Peter King

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
[...]

Why don't you use smart stamp, or have a franking machine?

If you don't send enough post to make either of thse worth while then a
'large stock of stamps' is not a significant investment.

The post office will deliver stamps to your door so there is no need to
use 'time and petrol'

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Richard Conway

Peter King wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Will" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, but they've just outsourced the sale of 1st and 2nd class stamps
and these now incur a delivery charge
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Peter King

Richard Conway wrote:

Peter King wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

Why don't you use smart stamp, or have a franking machine?

If you don't send enough post to make either of thse worth while then a
'large stock of stamps' is not a significant investment.

The post office will deliver stamps to your door so there is no need to
use 'time and petrol'

Yeah, but they've just outsourced the sale of 1st and 2nd class stamps
and these now incur a delivery charge

I didn't notice that, but a quick look at their web page shows that
orders over £35 get free delivery.

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Andrew Yarnwood

"Peter King" wrote:

The post office will deliver stamps to your door so there is no need to
use 'time and petrol'

Yeah, but they've just outsourced the sale of 1st and 2nd class stamps
and these now incur a delivery charge

I didn't notice that, but a quick look at their web page shows that
orders over £35 get free delivery.

Hope no one will mind if I move this off uk.railway?

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.d-i-y,uk.railway,uk.misc
Tony Bryer

On 9 Jun 2006 00:45:59 -0700 Peter King wrote :
Why don't you use smart stamp, or have a franking machine?

Franking machines are convenient but have a significant overhead
for smaller businesses like ours. We pay something like £24 per
month, each postage recharge (we do £200 at a time) costs £4, ink
cartridges cost £££ and when postage rates change it's £50 for a
new chip. And when you've franked the mail you have to take it to a
post office (luckily my assistant passes one on her way home) or if
you have a small volume of letters you can put them in special
envelopes (24p each) and post in a box. But it is convenient.