Old June 4th 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting Gas pipes under the floor

I've got to run a 28mm copper pipe from the front to the back of my
house so I can install a Combi Boiler, It will have to lie under the
floor boards - is it O.K to lie it on the sleeper walls and betwean the
joists (3"x2") - I mean has it got to be a certain distance below the
floorboards? Any thing else I might need to know apart from getting a
corgi fitter to do it?. Cheers. Martin

Old June 4th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian C

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got to run a 28mm copper pipe from the front to the back of my
house so I can install a Combi Boiler, It will have to lie under the
floor boards - is it O.K to lie it on the sleeper walls and betwean the
joists (3"x2") - I mean has it got to be a certain distance below the
floorboards? Any thing else I might need to know apart from getting a
corgi fitter to do it?. Cheers. Martin

Who is going to know unless you take out an advert in the local paper. Just
make sure it's secure and not moving about, and it's protected.
Common sense comes in to it.

Old June 4th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got to run a 28mm copper pipe from the front to the back of my
house so I can install a Combi Boiler, It will have to lie under the
floor boards - is it O.K to lie it on the sleeper walls and betwean

the
joists (3"x2") - I mean has it got to be a certain distance below

the
floorboards? Any thing else I might need to know apart from getting

corgi fitter to do it?. Cheers. Martin

Call me old-fashioned, but I much prefer black iron barrel for gas,
particularly under floors. Won't get confused with any other services,
and will repell the stray nail pointed in it's direction in the
future.

AWEM

Old June 4th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
" writes:
I've got to run a 28mm copper pipe from the front to the back of my
house so I can install a Combi Boiler, It will have to lie under the
floor boards - is it O.K to lie it on the sleeper walls and betwean the
joists (3"x2") - I mean has it got to be a certain distance below the
floorboards? Any thing else I might need to know apart from getting a
corgi fitter to do it?. Cheers. Martin

That's what British Gas did in my house some years ago, and all
the houses down the road, when they moved all the gas meters
outside whilst also replacing the gas main down the road.
They installed 22mm which wasn't enough, and I upgraded it to
28mm later.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old June 4th 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

Ian C wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got to run a 28mm copper pipe from the front to the back of my
house so I can install a Combi Boiler, It will have to lie under the
floor boards - is it O.K to lie it on the sleeper walls and betwean the
joists (3"x2") - I mean has it got to be a certain distance below the
floorboards? Any thing else I might need to know apart from getting a
corgi fitter to do it?. Cheers. Martin

Who is going to know unless you take out an advert in the local paper. Just
make sure it's secure and not moving about, and it's protected.
Common sense comes in to it.

don't quite undertand, what are sleeper walls and if it can go between
the joists just fix it to the joist with clips

and if it crosses the joists you can get clips that fit under the joists
thats supposint the joists are wood!

Old June 4th 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:10:03 +0100, Gav wrote
(in article ) :

Ian C wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got to run a 28mm copper pipe from the front to the back of my
house so I can install a Combi Boiler, It will have to lie under the
floor boards - is it O.K to lie it on the sleeper walls and betwean the
joists (3"x2") - I mean has it got to be a certain distance below the
floorboards? Any thing else I might need to know apart from getting a
corgi fitter to do it?. Cheers. Martin

Who is going to know unless you take out an advert in the local paper.
Just
make sure it's secure and not moving about, and it's protected.
Common sense comes in to it.

don't quite undertand, what are sleeper walls

Walls that go across a room part way across under the floor and provide extra
support for the joists.

Quite often, they have a part open structure to allow ventilation and a pipe
could be run through one of the gaps.

Old June 4th 06, 10:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Walls that go across a room part way across under the floor and
provide extra
support for the joists.

A friend had a house in Harrow with a suspiciously bouncy livingroom
floor. I had to go under it one day to replace a CH pump. Instead of
sleeper walls it just had rough piles of bricks vaguely mortared
together.

Many years earlier a new iron gas pipe had been run in, someone had
knocked over the pier in the middle of the floor 'cos it was in the way
of an easy pipe run.

Talking to other people in the road those that had been under the
livingroom floor had mostly found the same thing.

--
Skipweasel
Old June 5th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Gav wrote:

Ian C wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got to run a 28mm copper pipe from the front to the back of my
house so I can install a Combi Boiler, It will have to lie under the
floor boards - is it O.K to lie it on the sleeper walls and betwean the
joists (3"x2") - I mean has it got to be a certain distance below the
floorboards? Any thing else I might need to know apart from getting a
corgi fitter to do it?. Cheers. Martin

Who is going to know unless you take out an advert in the local paper. Just
make sure it's secure and not moving about, and it's protected.
Common sense comes in to it.

don't quite undertand, what are sleeper walls and if it can go between
the joists just fix it to the joist with clips

and if it crosses the joists you can get clips that fit under the joists
thats supposint the joists are wood!

Sleeper walls are what the joists are sat on in the middle of the room

Old June 5th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 13:00:43 -0700, wrote:

I've got to run a 28mm copper pipe from the front to the back of my
house so I can install a Combi Boiler, It will have to lie under the
floor boards - is it O.K to lie it on the sleeper walls and betwean the
joists (3"x2") - I mean has it got to be a certain distance below the
floorboards? Any thing else I might need to know apart from getting a
corgi fitter to do it?. Cheers. Martin

The main difficulties are getting the 28mm pipe under the floor without
getting dirt into the ends of the pipe. This means that you have to use
smallish sections and more joins.
if you can get the pipe in through an air brick from outside then you will
have an easier time.

Clip the pipe, keep it away from masonry.

Read BS 6891 (see below).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk