John Rumm

Default Separating Morse Tapers

While flicking through the Axminster catalogue the other day (looking
for an elusive long 7mm SDS drill bit!) I noticed that they had a range
of drill bits with morse taper shanks designed to be inserted directly
into the quill of a pillar drill.

This started the train of thought - What is the "proper" way go about
removing something (i.e. the chuck for starters) from a morse taper
interference fit?

--
Cheers,

John.

Tony Williams

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

This started the train of thought - What is the "proper" way go
about removing something (i.e. the chuck for starters) from a
morse taper interference fit?

There's a slot in the side of my pillar drill, at the
top end of the taper and a wedgy thing came with it,
so that the taper can be pushed from the back.

--
Tony Williams.
Abdullah Eyles

This started the train of thought - What is the "proper" way go about
removing something (i.e. the chuck for starters) from a morse taper
interference fit?

As a follow up to my previous post, I remember that the centre on
lathes is usually removed by backing up the tailstock, the tailstock
spindle has a pin which pushes out the centre.

Of course if the taper has been seated for a long time to heat up the
outside with a blowtorch may be useful...
parish

Abdullah Eyles wrote:

John Rumm wrote in message ...
While flicking through the Axminster catalogue the other day (looking
for an elusive long 7mm SDS drill bit!) I noticed that they had a range
of drill bits with morse taper shanks designed to be inserted directly
into the quill of a pillar drill.

This started the train of thought - What is the "proper" way go about
removing something (i.e. the chuck for starters) from a morse taper
interference fit?

They are normally removed by inserting a metal wedge through a hole at
the back of the taper and hitting it with a hammer, if necessary.

The correct name for the wedge is drill drift. For anyone who did an
engineering apprenticeship (a real one, in the old days) this would be
one of the first things they ever made - by hand using just a hacksaw
and a selection of files. Ah, happy days :-) I still have mine
somewhere. You can make your own, from a piece of angle iron or similar.
They are not hardened or made from "fancy" steel because they need to be
softer than the drill bit and the quill in the pillar drill to avoid damage.

You can buy them, e.g. http://www.cromwell.co.uk/category?code=3301 Note
that there are different sizes depending on the size of the Morse taper.

http://www.grm.net/~shlosser/mttaper.htm has a detailed description of
Morse Tapers and such like... The picture "MTsSlot.jpg" shows this
removal slot clearly, but on the page other pictures are unfortunately
placed on top of it.

nightjar

"John Rumm" wrote in message
While flicking through the Axminster catalogue the other day (looking
for an elusive long 7mm SDS drill bit!) I noticed that they had a range
of drill bits with morse taper shanks designed to be inserted directly
into the quill of a pillar drill.

This started the train of thought - What is the "proper" way go about
removing something (i.e. the chuck for starters) from a morse taper
interference fit?

A taper separation tool. For some tool fittings that is a tapered wedge that
fits through a slot at the back of the female taper and bears on the back
end of the male taper. If you don't have that slot, it is a pair of folding
wedges with a slot in them to clear the neck of the taper.

Colin Bignell

Steve

"parish" parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote in message

The correct name for the wedge is drill drift.

We call 'em taper ejectors.

Steve

Abdullah Eyles

"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote in message ...
"parish" parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote in message
The correct name for the wedge is drill drift.

Or, more often, big screwdriver, as in 'hand me that big screwdriver'.

Colin Bignell

Time to knock this off-thread (or off-taper?) methinks!

Anyone remember "Bob, have you got Bob's torque wrench?" -
Hand built by Roberts (Not the Nine o'clock News...)