DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Aldi Sat Nav for £150 (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/162078-re-aldi-sat-nav-%A3150.html)

The3rd Earl Of Derby May 19th 06 03:52 PM

Aldi Sat Nav for £150

Dave wrote:
Just wondered if this is worth the £ do you think?

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...uctnl_214.html

Do these things tell you if there's major road works going on? with
diversions in progress so you can avoid on the long journey. :-P

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Alan May 19th 06 05:45 PM

Aldi Sat Nav for £150

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Dave wrote:
Just wondered if this is worth the £ do you think?

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...uctnl_214.html

Do these things tell you if there's major road works going on? with
diversions in progress so you can avoid on the long journey. :-P

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ones like the Aldi unit don't, but if you have TomTom with their

Broadback May 19th 06 06:45 PM

Aldi Sat Nav for £150

Dave wrote:
Just wondered if this is worth the £ do you think?

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...uctnl_214.html

Do these things tell you if there's major road works going on? with
diversions in progress so you can avoid on the long journey. :-P

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ones like the Aldi unit don't, but if you have TomTom with their

Read the survey of SatNav in (I think) the Telegraph on Saturday, not
for me!

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.

Mike Dodd May 19th 06 07:02 PM

Aldi Sat Nav for £150

Read the survey of SatNav in (I think) the Telegraph on Saturday, not
for me!

Hmmm, didn't read that, but I know I can rely on TomTom to get me to
where I need to be far easier than paper maps. But you do have to have a
backup for when things go wrong (hmmm, memories of tearing around
Nerviano (Italy) looking for a company when I'd left the GPS receiver
turned on overnight, and had forgotten to bring the charger).

When they work (99% of the time) they are brilliant. The remaining 1% of
the time is a right bugger.

john2 May 19th 06 07:09 PM

Aldi Sat Nav for £150

Dave wrote:

Just wondered if this is worth the £ do you think?

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...uctnl_214.html

Do these things tell you if there's major road works going on? with
diversions in progress so you can avoid on the long journey. :-P

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ones like the Aldi unit don't, but if you have TomTom with their

AIUI this unit probably uses WinCE OS and hasn't got the ability to use
Tom Tom for a PPC. So you're stuck with the s/w it comes with.

john2

T i m May 19th 06 07:19 PM

Aldi Sat Nav for £150

On Fri, 19 May 2006 19:02:29 +0100, Mike Dodd
wrote:

Read the survey of SatNav in (I think) the Telegraph on Saturday, not
for me!

Hmmm, didn't read that, but I know I can rely on TomTom to get me to
where I need to be far easier than paper maps. But you do have to have a
backup for when things go wrong (hmmm, memories of tearing around
Nerviano (Italy) looking for a company when I'd left the GPS receiver
turned on overnight, and had forgotten to bring the charger).

Garmin GPS V .. takes 4 AA's (I normally use 2300mA NiHM) .. Duracells
found in petrol stations worldwide and 20 hour battery life .. ;-)

And no stupid "Scott Scott" TV adverts .. !

All the best ..

T i m

T i m May 19th 06 07:30 PM

Aldi Sat Nav for £150

Dave wrote:

Just wondered if this is worth the £ do you think?

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...uctnl_214.html

Do these things tell you if there's major road works going on? with
diversions in progress so you can avoid on the long journey. :-P

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ones like the Aldi unit don't, but if you have TomTom with their

AIUI this unit probably uses WinCE OS and hasn't got the ability to use
Tom Tom for a PPC. So you're stuck with the s/w it comes with.

I 'fixed' one for a bloke .. (he was plugging the power / charger lead
into the earphone socket sigh), when powering up it took quite a
long time and from memory it looked like a Windoze box. Not sure I'd
want to trust my journey to Windoze anything but .. ? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Tim Morley May 19th 06 09:14 PM

Aldi Sat Nav for £150

Dave wrote:
Just wondered if this is worth the £ do you think?

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...uctnl_214.html

Do these things tell you if there's major road works going on? with
diversions in progress so you can avoid on the long journey. :-P

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Ones like the Aldi unit don't, but if you have TomTom with their

Or some of the Garmins (the more expensive ones, they call it TMC I think)
do it without subs :)