DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mismatched floorboard thicknesses (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/161991-mismatched-floorboard-thicknesses.html)

Lobster May 18th 06 11:14 PM

Mismatched floorboard thicknesses

Went to my Wickes the other day for a pack of 5" T&G floorboards to do
some patchwork repairs to the floor following some plumbing escapades:
however it emerges that the new ones are 17-18 mm thick compared to
20-21 mm for the old ones. I'm presuming both are nominally 0.75"?

Should I be able to get thicker boards, or are these new ones now the
'norm'? It's a right PITA: the thickness difference is definitely
enough to be noticeable on the floor, and also the T's and G's don't
match up either.

If I do have to use these, I'm trying to think what I could use as
packing? It's too small a gap for any form of plywood or hardboard.

David

Phil L May 18th 06 11:24 PM

Lobster wrote:
Went to my Wickes the other day for a pack of 5" T&G floorboards to do
some patchwork repairs to the floor following some plumbing escapades:
however it emerges that the new ones are 17-18 mm thick compared to
20-21 mm for the old ones. I'm presuming both are nominally 0.75"?

Should I be able to get thicker boards, or are these new ones now the
'norm'? It's a right PITA: the thickness difference is definitely
enough to be noticeable on the floor, and also the T's and G's don't
match up either.

If I do have to use these, I'm trying to think what I could use as
packing? It's too small a gap for any form of plywood or hardboard.

David

You can get plastic packers which are used by double glazing fitters, they
range from 1mm to about 3mm and are approx 4 inch by 1 inch.
I've not seen them on sale anywhere but you should be able to get them from
a local window manufacturer...you can screw / nail through them without them
shattering.

MarkK May 18th 06 11:44 PM

"Lobster" wrote in message
Went to my Wickes the other day for a pack of 5" T&G floorboards to do
some patchwork repairs to the floor following some plumbing escapades:
however it emerges that the new ones are 17-18 mm thick compared to
20-21 mm for the old ones. I'm presuming both are nominally 0.75"?

Should I be able to get thicker boards, or are these new ones now the
'norm'?

Yes you can get thicker T&G. I went to my local timber merchant recently and
found what I needed, which happened to be 18mm. There's quite a variety of
widths and a few thicknesses available. I remember some were thicker than I
needed, so am 99% confident you will be able to get the 20-21mm boards you
need.

Mark

Cicero May 19th 06 07:48 AM

"Lobster" wrote in message
Went to my Wickes the other day for a pack of 5" T&G floorboards to do
some patchwork repairs to the floor following some plumbing escapades:
however it emerges that the new ones are 17-18 mm thick compared to
20-21 mm for the old ones. I'm presuming both are nominally 0.75"?

Should I be able to get thicker boards, or are these new ones now the
'norm'? It's a right PITA: the thickness difference is definitely
enough to be noticeable on the floor, and also the T's and G's don't
match up either.

If I do have to use these, I'm trying to think what I could use as
packing? It's too small a gap for any form of plywood or hardboard.

David

==========================
Cut strips from vynil floor tiles and lay them across the joists.

Cic.

chris French May 19th 06 07:55 AM

Mismatched floorboard thicknesses

In message , Phil L
writes
Lobster wrote:
Went to my Wickes the other day for a pack of 5" T&G floorboards to do
some patchwork repairs to the floor following some plumbing escapades:
however it emerges that the new ones are 17-18 mm thick compared to
20-21 mm for the old ones. I'm presuming both are nominally 0.75"?

Should I be able to get thicker boards, or are these new ones now the
'norm'? It's a right PITA: the thickness difference is definitely
enough to be noticeable on the floor, and also the T's and G's don't
match up either.

If I do have to use these, I'm trying to think what I could use as
packing? It's too small a gap for any form of plywood or hardboard.

David

You can get plastic packers which are used by double glazing fitters, they
range from 1mm to about 3mm and are approx 4 inch by 1 inch.

Or thin MDF, you can get 2mm MDF
--
Chris French

Chris Bacon May 19th 06 09:07 AM

Lobster wrote:
Went to my Wickes the other day for a pack of 5" T&G floorboards to do
some patchwork repairs to the floor following some plumbing escapades:
however it emerges that the new ones are 17-18 mm thick compared to
20-21 mm for the old ones. I'm presuming both are nominally 0.75"?

If they came from Wickes, I wouldn't presume they're timber, let
alone the thickness!

Should I be able to get thicker boards, or are these new ones now the
'norm'?

Yes, you can. FWIW these thin boards seem to flex noticeably. Try
a BM (or even a B&Q whorehouse) for thicker ones (or the "shelf"
next to where you picked up your Wickes ones).

It's a right PITA:

It certainly is.

the thickness difference is definitely
enough to be noticeable on the floor, and also the T's and G's don't
match up either.

If I do have to use these, I'm trying to think what I could use as
packing? It's too small a gap for any form of plywood or hardboard.

Cardboard is OK.

Christian McArdle May 19th 06 11:06 AM

Mismatched floorboard thicknesses

however it emerges that the new ones are 17-18 mm thick compared to
20-21 mm for the old ones.

Both sizes are pretty much standard thicknesses. You need to take them back
and buy thicker ones.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher May 19th 06 12:15 PM

Lobster wrote:
Went to my Wickes the other day for a pack of 5" T&G floorboards to do
some patchwork repairs to the floor following some plumbing escapades:
however it emerges that the new ones are 17-18 mm thick compared to
20-21 mm for the old ones. I'm presuming both are nominally 0.75"?

Should I be able to get thicker boards, or are these new ones now the
'norm'? It's a right PITA: the thickness difference is definitely
enough to be noticeable on the floor, and also the T's and G's don't
match up either.

If I do have to use these, I'm trying to think what I could use as
packing? It's too small a gap for any form of plywood or hardboard.

It is not. You can get 1/64" 1/32" and 1/16" ply from any model shop or
use veneers.. our use slips of cardboard,. thin plsatic or even just bed
onto a layer of car body filler.

Or sand the whole floor level when finished..

David

Mogweed May 19th 06 01:26 PM

"Lobster" wrote in message
Went to my Wickes the other day for a pack of 5" T&G floorboards to do
some patchwork repairs to the floor following some plumbing escapades:
however it emerges that the new ones are 17-18 mm thick compared to 20-21
mm for the old ones. I'm presuming both are nominally 0.75"?

Should I be able to get thicker boards, or are these new ones now the
'norm'? It's a right PITA: the thickness difference is definitely enough
to be noticeable on the floor, and also the T's and G's don't match up
either.

If I do have to use these, I'm trying to think what I could use as
packing? It's too small a gap for any form of plywood or hardboard.

David

Go to a proper timber merchants taking a small piece of your existing
floorboards with you. That's what I did with my 137-year old floorboards and
they matched it perfectly.

Mogweed.

Steve Walker May 19th 06 08:15 PM

Cicero wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
Went to my Wickes the other day for a pack of 5" T&G floorboards
to do some patchwork repairs to the floor following some
plumbing escapades: however it emerges that the new ones are
17-18 mm thick compared to 20-21 mm for the old ones. I'm
presuming both are nominally 0.75"?

Should I be able to get thicker boards, or are these new ones
now the 'norm'? It's a right PITA: the thickness difference is
definitely enough to be noticeable on the floor, and also the
T's and G's don't match up either.

If I do have to use these, I'm trying to think what I could use
as packing? It's too small a gap for any form of plywood or
hardboard.

David

Cut strips from vynil floor tiles and lay them across the joists.

strips of 4mm hardboard, glued to top of joists.