DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Large mirrors (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/1610-large-mirrors.html)

Tim Johnson September 2nd 03 03:28 PM

Large mirrors

Hey guys,

I'm keen on fitting a large mirror (2.4m by 1m'ish) to the back of my
bathroom inline with my soon-to-begin tiling job, but I'm not sure what the
best route is. The acrylic mirrors of this size are pretty cheap and
durable, but I hear they bend easily (giving a funhouse look), and need a
lot of screwing, which would look rather ugly. A standard glass mirror would
be very heavy on the wall, and has a risk of breaking when being fitted or
moved, and is more expensive.

Any tips on the best thing to do?

Cheers,
Tim

stuart noble September 2nd 03 07:42 PM

Large mirrors

Tim Johnson wrote in message ...
Hey guys,

I'm keen on fitting a large mirror (2.4m by 1m'ish) to the back of my
bathroom inline with my soon-to-begin tiling job, but I'm not sure what the
best route is. The acrylic mirrors of this size are pretty cheap and
durable, but I hear they bend easily (giving a funhouse look), and need a
lot of screwing, which would look rather ugly. A standard glass mirror

would
be very heavy on the wall, and has a risk of breaking when being fitted or
moved, and is more expensive.

Any tips on the best thing to do?

IIRC acrylic is more expensive than glass. Used in night clubs etc for
obvious reasons. I imagine if it's mounted on a flat surface you wouldn't
get too much distortion, and a lot less condensation. I'd forget glass. Even
4mm will be a nightmare to move and fix. At least a 50-50 chance of breaking
it before you get near the bathroom.

Brian S Gray September 2nd 03 09:11 PM

Large mirrors

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:28:54 +0100, "Tim Johnson"
wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm keen on fitting a large mirror (2.4m by 1m'ish) to the back of my
bathroom inline with my soon-to-begin tiling job, but I'm not sure what the
best route is. The acrylic mirrors of this size are pretty cheap and
durable, but I hear they bend easily (giving a funhouse look), and need a
lot of screwing, which would look rather ugly. A standard glass mirror would
be very heavy on the wall, and has a risk of breaking when being fitted or
moved, and is more expensive.

Any tips on the best thing to do?

Cheers,
Tim

One solution, not necessarily the cheapest but at a predictable cost,
is to obtain the glass mirror on the basis of 'supply and install'! I
doubt if a professional would add much to the price because of the
risk of breakage as he would be used to handling glass. In any case,
have a look at some of the proprietary fittings sold with glass
mirrors to attach them to the wall using 'hidden fixing'. I was very
surprised when I looked into what was available for a 1 metre square
mirror for our new bathroom.

Steve September 3rd 03 04:49 PM

Large mirrors

I had a 5' x 5' 4mm, polished all round, no bevel mirror supplied and
fitted by a mirror company last night.

Cost of the mirror was £106, and fitting was £40 - well worth it, as
the responsibility is on the fitters!
A mirror that size is a bit awkward to handle on your own - let them
do it.

They stuck it to a tiled wall and now I have to leave it chocked up
for a week before removing them.

Looks fantastic, and it was well worth the money!

Cheers

Steve