DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   confusion with technical drawings 1:50 (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/157804-confusion-technical-drawings-1-50-a.html)

tg May 13th 06 08:37 PM

confusion with technical drawings 1:50

drawn elevations at a scale of 1:50. At first glance this to me calculates that 20mm on a page represents 1 meter in the real
world. The back of my house measures 4.9m high by 6.1m wide, which on paper would translate to a rectangle 98mm high by 122mm wide.
This is quite small as a diagram and I can't help feeling I've got it wrong. Have I?

[email protected] May 13th 06 08:41 PM

confusion with technical drawings 1:50

You are correct. Draw them at a larger scale, shrink them on a
photocopier, submit both.

Roger Mills May 13th 06 09:15 PM

confusion with technical drawings 1:50

tg wrote:

asked for elevation drawings of my house. They have specified drawn
elevations at a scale of 1:50. At first glance this to me calculates
that 20mm on a page represents 1 meter in the real world. The back of
my house measures 4.9m high by 6.1m wide, which on paper would
translate to a rectangle 98mm high by 122mm wide. This is quite small
as a diagram and I can't help feeling I've got it wrong. Have I?

No, that's fine. An elevation for an 'ordinary' house (not a 2-Jags
mansion!) should fit comfortably onto an A4 sheet.

I've just submitted an application with elevations drawn at 1:100 (on a CAD
system) which are perfectly readable and hopefully(!) acceptable. [I've just
re-looked at my council's guidance notes, and they don't specify a scale for
elevations - though they do for everything else].

Remember - they'll also be looking at plans for a new Tescos - or even
Wembley Stadium. Think how big they'd be at 1:20 or whatever!
--
Cheers,
Roger

taylerlee May 13th 06 10:47 PM

confusion with technical drawings 1:50

You have got it exactly correct. However having worked for a short time
as a planning enforcement officer my experience is that if at all
possible i.e. its not to far away, call into your local planning office
and ask to speak to a person with responsibility for your particular
area ( most offices are split into several geographical areas). This
way you know with some degree of certainty you have at least submitted
the forms correctly which is half the battle. I would also suggest you
tell the planner how wonderfull they are, it usually works!.
Cheers Taylerlee