DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   FOAK: Low energy light bulbs and dimmer switches (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/157194-re-foak-low-energy-light-bulbs-dimmer-switches.html)

Grimly Curmudgeon May 12th 06 11:25 PM

FOAK: Low energy light bulbs and dimmer switches

drugs began to take hold. I remember Verdigris
saying something like:

Are there any low-energy bulbs which will go in a standard bayonet fitting
and work with a dimmer switch? Or will I need to replace the switch if I
want to be (more than usually) green?

x-posted.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

John Rumm May 13th 06 03:10 AM

FOAK: Low energy light bulbs and dimmer switches

Are there any low-energy bulbs which will go in a standard bayonet fitting
and work with a dimmer switch? Or will I need to replace the switch if I
want to be (more than usually) green?

Not commonly available in the UK IIUC. So yes you will need to change
the switch.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News) May 13th 06 09:50 AM

FOAK: Low energy light bulbs and dimmer switches

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Are there any low-energy bulbs which will go in a standard bayonet
fitting and work with a dimmer switch? Or will I need to replace the
switch if I want to be (more than usually) green?

IIRC, CFLs that can be dimmed with a normal dimmer are available in some
countries, but not seen them on sale here.

This might help:-

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...earch_subm it

--
*Vegetarians taste great*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Adrian C May 13th 06 10:18 AM

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Verdigris
saying something like:

Are there any low-energy bulbs which will go in a standard bayonet fitting
and work with a dimmer switch? Or will I need to replace the switch if I
want to be (more than usually) green?

x-posted.

You'll need to change the switch to a standard on/off, but the following
CFL bulb can be dimmed.

Dulux EL Vario
Dimmable Compact Fluorescent from www.cpc.co.uk

two-step dimmer function of the Osram Dulux EL Vario. You can now choose
between full lighting or lighting dimmed about half as bright. All you
have to do is switch the lamp off and then on again within three
seconds, the brightness is reduced by half, thus saving 60% power.

Watts Fitting Order Code price each

23W ES (E27) LP02250 about a tenner plus VAT
23W BC (B22) LP02251 ditto

--
Adrian C