DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flickering light since blown bulb & fuse (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/157109-flickering-light-since-blown-bulb-fuse.html)

Chris Tomlinson May 12th 06 01:34 AM

Flickering light since blown bulb & fuse

Hi all,

My bathroom light halogen bulb (1 of 3 on a centre light mounting -
bathroom-safe) came to the end of its life and popped, throwing the main
lighting tripswitch/fuse.

When I reset the fuse and put a new bulb in, I notice that ever since then
the entire lighting rig in that room only, flickers now and then. It's on a
pull-cord, and the flickering is like what happens when you pull the cord
down slightly but not all the way.

Any ideas where to look for the fault?
--
Thanks,
Me

I recommend www.Superhighstreet.com/home Finds anything or they pay for it!

Phil Anthropist May 12th 06 07:09 AM

"Chris Tomlinson" wrote:
Hi all,

My bathroom light halogen bulb (1 of 3 on a centre light mounting -
bathroom-safe) came to the end of its life and popped, throwing the main
lighting tripswitch/fuse.

When I reset the fuse and put a new bulb in, I notice that ever since then
the entire lighting rig in that room only, flickers now and then. It's on
a pull-cord, and the flickering is like what happens when you pull the
cord down slightly but not all the way.

Any ideas where to look for the fault?
--
Thanks,
Me

I recommend www.Superhighstreet.com/home Finds anything or they pay for
it!

The ceiling mounted cord operated light switch might be knackered.

The Natural Philosopher May 12th 06 12:29 PM

Chris Tomlinson wrote:
Hi all,

My bathroom light halogen bulb (1 of 3 on a centre light mounting -
bathroom-safe) came to the end of its life and popped, throwing the main
lighting tripswitch/fuse.

When I reset the fuse and put a new bulb in, I notice that ever since then
the entire lighting rig in that room only, flickers now and then. It's on a
pull-cord, and the flickering is like what happens when you pull the cord
down slightly but not all the way.

Any ideas where to look for the fault?

Mm. Probably a switch or contact has arced a bit under the high load and
become unreliable.

In my electronics days, this usually involved srpaying the boards with
freeze spray until we found the general area, then a bit of wiggling or
close inspection found the bad connection.

Try careful wiggling of switches and junction boxes.

David Hansen May 12th 06 05:40 PM

Flickering light since blown bulb & fuse

On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:34:36 GMT someone who may be "Chris
Tomlinson" wrote this:-

My bathroom light halogen bulb (1 of 3 on a centre light mounting -
bathroom-safe)

No such thing as safe with electricity.

Safer than something else, but not safe.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

[email protected] May 12th 06 11:39 PM

Chris Tomlinson wrote:
Hi all,

My bathroom light halogen bulb (1 of 3 on a centre light mounting -
bathroom-safe) came to the end of its life and popped, throwing the main
lighting tripswitch/fuse.

When I reset the fuse and put a new bulb in, I notice that ever since then
the entire lighting rig in that room only, flickers now and then. It's on a
pull-cord, and the flickering is like what happens when you pull the cord
down slightly but not all the way.

Any ideas where to look for the fault?

Fault may be any of the items involved. Where to look seems to obvious
to say. Get yourself a multimeter and test it, theres no way youre
going to know what part the problem is otherwise..

NT