DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chasing out breeze block (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/157019-chasing-out-breeze-block.html)

Lawrence Zarb May 11th 06 04:01 PM

Chasing out breeze block

I need to cut out a section of breeze block 300 x 300 x 50mm deep. What
is the best tool to do this, as neatly as possible..?

Christian McArdle May 11th 06 04:09 PM

Chasing out breeze block

I need to cut out a section of breeze block 300 x 300 x 50mm deep. What
is the best tool to do this, as neatly as possible..?

Dense concrete or aerated?

Is 300x300x50 the size of the hole you need? I assume you want to cut this
shape out of a 100mm deep wall? Will this hole have any structural
implications?

Christian.

Chris Bacon May 11th 06 04:18 PM

Chasing out breeze block

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I need to cut out a section of breeze block 300 x 300 x 50mm deep. What
is the best tool to do this, as neatly as possible..?

With breeze, an hammer and chisel or SDS/chisel, or
maybe a butter knife... this is likely to be half the
thickness of the block... is it for pipework?

The3rd Earl Of Derby May 11th 06 04:25 PM

Chasing out breeze block

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I need to cut out a section of breeze block 300 x 300 x 50mm deep.
What is the best tool to do this, as neatly as possible..?

Dusty...

an angle grinder, if you can go the same depth all round with it the back
section will be almost completly flat after using a bolster chisle and
hammer on it to chip out the remaining inner block.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Lawrence Zarb May 11th 06 04:32 PM

Chasing out breeze block

It is a 9in aerated dwarf conservatory wall

Christian McArdle May 11th 06 04:37 PM

Chasing out breeze block

It is a 9in aerated dwarf conservatory wall

i.e. 215mm wide block, or a cavity 100mm + 100mm or such like?

In any case, aerated is pretty simple. You could gauge it out with your
fingernails!

If dust is not a problem, then use an angle grider. Otherwise, you might get
away with an old tenon or floorboard saw.

Christian.

. May 11th 06 04:53 PM

Chasing out breeze block

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
It is a 9in aerated dwarf conservatory wall

set up a dust containment zone with plastic dustsheets and gaffer tape.

mark out the area to be cut and cut the perimeter to 50mm depth
using a diamond disc on a 4" angle grinder.

cut parallel lines 50mm apart, 50mm deep between the external lines

chase out with an old 50mm chisel.

there are other methods.