Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Mack

Default Moving electricity meter

Hi All

A friend of mine (honest!) needed to move his electricity meter

He spoke to the supplier, who said that he can get any registered
electrician to move it.

A registered electrician has done so, but of course broken all the seals

I understood that only the supplier can move it - is that still the
case?

What rings alarm bells is that my friend said the supplier said it
should be a CORGI registered electrician - I thought CORGI was Council
for Registered *Gas* Installers

Cheers
--
Ben Mack
Watchfront Electronics - Bespoke R&D - http://www.watchfront.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Ben Mack
writes
He spoke to the supplier, who said that he can get any registered
electrician to move it.

A registered electrician has done so, but of course broken all the seals

I understood that only the supplier can move it - is that still the
case?

It has been covered a few times here and appears not to be a problem. The
'official' way appears to be to write a notification of works to the supplier
telling them what is about to be done then write to them after the works to
tell them that work has been completed and inviting them to re-seal the
meter connections at their convenience. It's really an arse covering
exercise so make the second letter recorded delivery.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Owain" wrote in message
Ben Mack wrote:
A friend of mine (honest!) needed to move his electricity meter
He spoke to the supplier, who said that he can get any registered
electrician to move it.

What's a "registered" electrician? Registered with whom?

A registered electrician has done so, but of course broken all the seals
I understood that only the supplier can move it - is that still the
case?

It's their property, so I would have thought so.

What rings alarm bells is that my friend said the supplier said it
should be a CORGI registered electrician - I thought CORGI was Council
for Registered *Gas* Installers

It is, and proof that whoever your friend speaking to at the suppliers was
a witless numpty.

Owain

I have seen an advert in one of the mags about CORGI applying to do a CORGI
Electrician scheme. In the small print it did say the scheme was subject to
approval from ODPM. Another Part P scheme I assume.

Mind you part P will not allow you to move a meter. Only the supplier should
arrange and do that.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Ben Mack wrote:
Hi All

A friend of mine (honest!) needed to move his electricity meter

He spoke to the supplier, who said that he can get any registered
electrician to move it.

A registered electrician has done so, but of course broken all the seals

I understood that only the supplier can move it - is that still the
case?

What rings alarm bells is that my friend said the supplier said it
should be a CORGI registered electrician - I thought CORGI was Council
for Registered *Gas* Installers

Cheers

Anyone can move the meter, but you need to get the leccy company to
inspect and re-aeal. There responsibility extends to the meter only,
after that its the BCO and electrical regs to specify length of tails
and switchgear and wiring that follows.

Usually a phone call to them and 'Ive moved the meter, can you reseal
it' gets a man in a van pretty quickly...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 04 May 2006 18:32:42 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
Ben Mack wrote:
[...]

Well I joined this scheme (I know it's feels like selling out to
jags+chins+shags==6) It allows me, legally, to self certify single
circuit installs and produce inspection and test forms. I suspect the
latter will become increasingly more significant as the Blames Direct
Culture shows no sign of letting up.

I believe there are around a dozen schemes for being a registered
electrician.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

news

"Owain" wrote in message
Ben Mack wrote:
[...]

I cannot fault you for joining regardless of your feeling for Part P. Is the
Corgi version now an approved Part P scheme?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Thu, 04 May 2006 13:36:03 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Ben Mack wrote:
A friend of mine (honest!) needed to move his electricity meter
He spoke to the supplier, who said that he can get any registered
electrician to move it.

What's a "registered" electrician? Registered with whom?

The IEE* :-)

* IET for pedants!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Usually a phone call to them and 'Ive moved the meter, can you reseal
it' gets a man in a van pretty quickly...

Worked when I did it. Had to move the meter unexpectedly (poor planning
and the discovery of some seriously dodgy wiring - old rubber stuff from
which all the rubber had crumbled) and just moved it. Bloke came along
later in the week and wasn't at all bothered.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

On Thu, 4 May 2006 11:35:16 +0100, Ben Mack wrote:

Hi All

A friend of mine (honest!) needed to move his electricity meter

He spoke to the supplier, who said that he can get any registered
electrician to move it.

A registered electrician has done so, but of course broken all the seals

I understood that only the supplier can move it - is that still the
case?

I recently had a set-to with EDF Energy about the costs they wanted to
charge for a relatively straightforward service alteration. It turns out
that some of the work is contestable, some is non contestable.

'Moving a meter' quite often means moving both the meter and the service
termination. Alterations to the service cable and termination are
'non-contestable'. Only the company owning the cable and main fuse can
carry out any work on the service cable and main fuse.

Moving the meter and carrying out a rudimentary check before reconnecting
supply is contestable work, and can be carried out by persons other than
the company owning the service cable. My choice of words there was quite
deliberate. EDF Energy gave me a relatively short list of approved
electrical contractors who were allowed to carry out the contestable works.

Unfortunately I no longer have the correspondence, but the operative
expression was *approved* contractors. Who approves them I can't remember,
but I don't think it was as simple as a registered electrician. The
contractors listed were all major businesses.

Attitudes between companies obviously differ. I suspect in the situation
you mention, the 'owning' company are taking a fairly relaxed attitude to
who can move the meter and are accepting the work being carried out by a
registered electrician, as distinct from an 'approved' contractor.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

wrote:

Ben Mack wrote:
A friend of mine (honest!) needed to move his electricity meter
He spoke to the supplier, who said that he can get any registered
electrician to move it.

What's a "registered" electrician? Registered with whom?

The IEE* :-)

* IET for pedants!

Merely those who are up to date (it's been over a month now!)

Bob (MIET, I suppose, now)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Usually a phone call to them and 'Ive moved the meter, can you reseal
it' gets a man in a van pretty quickly...

Didn't here. I didn't actually move the meter, but removed it to replace
the mounting board with a bigger one for a new CU. And of course had to
remove the seal. The seal on the company fuse had been removed many years
before and never replaced.

I phoned them to say what I'd done and they showed little interest.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Mack

In article , fred writes
In article , Ben Mack
writes
He spoke to the supplier, who said that he can get any registered
electrician to move it.

A registered electrician has done so, but of course broken all the seals

I understood that only the supplier can move it - is that still the
case?

It has been covered a few times here

Sorry, I should have googled first, have now done so

and appears not to be a problem.

So I see, though not entirely clear, it looks like he should get away
with it

Thanks everyone for your responses, most educational :-)

Cheers
--
Ben Mack
Watchfront Electronics - Bespoke R&D - http://www.watchfront.co.uk/
Watchfront Internet - ADSL, Colo - http://www.watchfront.net/
Are you bricking it? - Firewalls - http://www.firebrick.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

snipped

I have seen an advert in one of the mags about CORGI applying to do a
CORGI Electrician scheme. In the small print it did say the scheme was
subject to approval from ODPM. Another Part P scheme I assume.

Mind you part P will not allow you to move a meter. Only the supplier
should arrange and do that.

Adam

Just for the benefit of the group, the CORGI Part P Scheme is a restricted
scheme, so do not assume that a CORGI competent person can do everything
electrical, because they are not approved for that side. Nightmare scheme
for the uninformed really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stephen Dawson wrote:
Just for the benefit of the group, the CORGI Part P Scheme is a
restricted scheme, so do not assume that a CORGI competent person can
do everything electrical, because they are not approved for that side.
Nightmare scheme for the uninformed really.

Nothing changes, then. Most plumbers wire up central heating with only one
type of cable - 3 core 0.5mm flex. Earth as switched line with no marking?
Not a problem. Heat resistant close to the boiler? Never heard of it and
it's too expensive...

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Moving Exisitng Gas Meter : Advice Sought Organoman UK diy 5 April 5th 06 08:28 AM
Device to measure electricity meter reading? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 June 23rd 05 03:43 AM
Moving A Gas Meter - Advice Tricky Dicky UK diy 4 May 14th 05 08:56 AM
Electricity Meter rating Sparks UK diy 9 September 28th 04 09:09 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM