Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

Default How small a gap can a mouse get through?

As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could find was
where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to let the head
through.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could
find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to
let the head through.

Adam

You'll be suprised where a mouse can get. :-)

At a guess, a 2p piece sized round hole.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes
ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could
find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to
let the head through.

Adam

You'll be suprised where a mouse can get. :-)

At a guess, a 2p piece sized round hole.

Less than that!, around 10mm or whatever that is in Mickey mouse
measurement!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark A

The official government line is anywhere you can get a standard pencil
in. I didn't believe it till I saw it with my own eyes - a normal sized
adult mouse leaping up and vanishing through an air brick that I
couldn't even get my index finger into. It astonished me at the time.

Regards

Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John White

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could find was
where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to let the head
through.

From personal experience:

They can get through a 1/2" square hole (into an airing cupboard)
without any difficulty. I saw one do this when I surprised the little
bugger one evening.

They can also get through a 20mm knockout even when there are four
2.5mm singles running through it - Have you ever tried removing
carbonised mouse from a three phase isolator?

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" typed

ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could
find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to
let the head through.

Adam

You'll be suprised where a mouse can get. :-)

At a guess, a 2p piece sized round hole.

You'd get a rat through that!

I'd guess any hole large enough for a woman's little finger.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" typed

ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could
find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to
let the head through.

Adam

You'll be suprised where a mouse can get. :-)

At a guess, a 2p piece sized round hole.

You'd get a rat through that!

I'd guess any hole large enough for a woman's little finger.

That's a good guide but it doesn't have to be a round hole. A mouse's skull
is slightly flattened, broader than it's high. A round pencil hole wouldn't
allow a mouse through but squash it a bit and it would. IYKWIM.

Mary

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Mark A" wrote in message
The official government line is anywhere you can get a standard pencil
in. I didn't believe it till I saw it with my own eyes - a normal sized
adult mouse leaping up and vanishing through an air brick that I
couldn't even get my index finger into. It astonished me at the time.

Regards

Mark
--

Pencils are standardised? B****y EU. Is that a round or hexagonal pencil?

The only hole the mouse could have got into this CU was through a
rectangular with two very tight 25mm tails passing through. I do believe a
hexagonal pencil will fit.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could
find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to
let the head through.

Adam

How small a gap can a mouse get through ? well, measure the hole
where the tails enter the CU and that's about right for ingress.
however, there seems to have been some malfunction of the
mouses egress strategy :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. uk...
As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could find
was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to let the head
through.

I have seen them go through 1/2" mesh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark A wrote:
The official government line is anywhere you can get a standard pencil
in. I didn't believe it till I saw it with my own eyes - a normal sized
adult mouse leaping up and vanishing through an air brick that I
couldn't even get my index finger into. It astonished me at the time.

Regards

Mark

apparently they temporarily dislocate their jaw to enable them to get
through tight holes.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

dennis@home wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. uk...

As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could find
was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to let the head
through.

I have seen them go through 1/2" mesh.

Many rodents can get through a hole which their skulls will go through.
Its probably the only way they can measure it (lacking small rulers
and callipers).

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

You'll be suprised where a mouse can get. :-)

At a guess, a 2p piece sized round hole.

You could -drop- a mouse though a hole that big. More like 8 - 10mm

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 01 May 2006 15:44:34 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

At a guess, a 2p piece sized round hole.

A mouse wouldn't even touch the sides. An adult rat(*) could get through
a 2p sized hole.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 01 May 2006 16:55:20 +0100, Mark A wrote:

The official government line is anywhere you can get a standard pencil
in.

Thats about right. Our mouse holding cage has bars spaced 7mm apart, a
pencil will just go between them. No mouse has yet got out between the
bars. Shrews on the other hand can, with ease...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. uk...
As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could find
was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to let the head
through.

According to the man from Rentokil, anything you can push a Bic Biro
through - say about 6mm diameter. Apparently their skull joints are
flexible, allowing them to pass through holes that are smaller than the
normal head size.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

You'll be suprised where a mouse can get. :-)

At a guess, a 2p piece sized round hole.

You'd get a rat through that!

I'd guess any hole large enough for a woman's little finger.

That's a good guide but it doesn't have to be a round hole. A mouse's skull
is slightly flattened, broader than it's high. A round pencil hole wouldn't
allow a mouse through but squash it a bit and it would. IYKWIM.

I once watched a shrew wriggle through a 5/16" clearance hole. Shoulders
seemed to go one at a time.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could find was
where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to let the head
through.

Adam

if a finger can get through, a mouse can.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

You'll be suprised where a mouse can get. :-)

At a guess, a 2p piece sized round hole.

You'd get a rat through that!

I'd guess any hole large enough for a woman's little finger.

That's a good guide but it doesn't have to be a round hole. A mouse's
skull
is slightly flattened, broader than it's high. A round pencil hole
wouldn't
allow a mouse through but squash it a bit and it would. IYKWIM.

I once watched a shrew wriggle through a 5/16" clearance hole. Shoulders
seemed to go one at a time.

It's fascinating isn't it!

Tt's the rigidity of the skull which determines what size of hole - in
rodents at least, can be accessed.

I can't get my body through a hole my head would go though :-(

Mary.

Mary

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could
find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to
let the head through.

I have seen them go through 1/2" mesh.

That's a worry. That's what I was supplied with to stop them - I have an
ornamental cast iron grill between the front door steps which help vents
the cellar and has much larger holes than that. But since covering the
inside with mesh a few years ago no signs of mice. Instead of near every
year previously. Perhaps it only stops adult mice, though.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Guy King wrote:
OK, own up, who cross-bred mice with politicians to leave us with a
bunch who can dislocate their jaws so they can lie more convincingly.

You're convinced by the lies? ;-)

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

I can't get my body through a hole my head would go though :-(

Do you have whiskers and pointy front teeth too?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

I can't get my body through a hole my head would go though :-(

Do you have whiskers and pointy front teeth too?

I'm not answering that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Owain wrote:
. wrote:
I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could
find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to
let the head through.

How small a gap can a mouse get through ? well, measure the hole
where the tails enter the CU and that's about right for ingress.
however, there seems to have been some malfunction of the
mouses egress strategy :-)

Especially as, without food, the mouse should be getting thinner, not
fatter.

Owain

so, someone actually /placed/ the mouse inside the CU ?

the plot thickens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"." wrote in message
Owain wrote:
. wrote:
I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could
find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to
let the head through.
How small a gap can a mouse get through ? well, measure the hole
where the tails enter the CU and that's about right for ingress.
however, there seems to have been some malfunction of the
mouses egress strategy :-)

Especially as, without food, the mouse should be getting thinner, not
fatter.

Owain

so, someone actually /placed/ the mouse inside the CU ?

the plot thickens.

Perhaps it got in as a baby and got fat - but insufficiently fed - on the
insulation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"John White" wrote in message
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could find
was
where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to let the head
through.

From personal experience:

They can get through a 1/2" square hole (into an airing cupboard)
without any difficulty. I saw one do this when I surprised the little
bugger one evening.

They can also get through a 20mm knockout even when there are four
2.5mm singles running through it - Have you ever tried removing
carbonised mouse from a three phase isolator?

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor

The poor thing I saw had only done 230v so there was no crisping.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John White

"." wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
"." wrote in message
Owain wrote:
. wrote:
I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I
could find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too
small to let the head through.
How small a gap can a mouse get through ? well, measure the hole
where the tails enter the CU and that's about right for ingress.
however, there seems to have been some malfunction of the
mouses egress strategy :-)

Especially as, without food, the mouse should be getting thinner,
not fatter.

so, someone actually /placed/ the mouse inside the CU ?

the plot thickens.

Perhaps it got in as a baby and got fat - but insufficiently fed - on
the insulation.

nah, without protien the mouse would have became catabolic within
a few hours and it would have started to /lose/ weight.

someone put the mouse in the CU.

question is, why ?

I do wish you wouldn't ask these questions when I've just put the
black helicopter away.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

ARWadsworth wrote:
"John White" wrote in message
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could find
was
where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to let the head
through.

From personal experience:

They can get through a 1/2" square hole (into an airing cupboard)
without any difficulty. I saw one do this when I surprised the little
bugger one evening.

They can also get through a 20mm knockout even when there are four
2.5mm singles running through it - Have you ever tried removing
carbonised mouse from a three phase isolator?

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor

The poor thing I saw had only done 230v so there was no crisping.

Adam

I bought a second hand elling lee ceramic hob cooker.

There was a mouse - a mummified mouse BEHIND the Fascia where the knobs
are - I took the thing apart to clean it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"." wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:
"." wrote in message
Owain wrote:
. wrote:
[...]

Perhaps they didn't need it any more, they'd bought a pointer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Mary Fisher" typed

I can't get my body through a hole my head would go though :-(

Maybe you can't, but I understand prisons etc are designed on the
principle that some people can...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

I can't get my body through a hole my head would go though :-(

Maybe you can't, but I understand prisons etc are designed on the
principle that some people can...

I've no idea about that but I'm just too fat :-)

Mary

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
.. wrote:
snip
someone put the mouse in the CU.

question is, why ?

Have you not been watching "Prison Break" on Channel 5?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

ARWadsworth wrote:

I found a dead mouse today in a CU

Gives "proving dead" a whole new meaning...

But that's nothing. There was a case here a few years ago that made it
to the local paper. Occupants had noticed a strange smell in the
under-stairs cupboard. Transco could find no gas leak and suggested the
cause might be electrical. An electrician was called and found a dead
*snake* in the consumer unit.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rob Morley wrote:
Have you not been watching "Prison Break" on Channel 5?

Sizzling viewing.

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Mary Fisher" typed

Maybe you can't, but I understand prisons etc are designed on the
principle that some people can...

I've no idea about that but I'm just too fat :-)

Yebbut some people are 'stick insects'.

Prisons etc have to be built to detain all inmates.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

Maybe you can't, but I understand prisons etc are designed on the
principle that some people can...

I've no idea about that but I'm just too fat :-)

Yebbut some people are 'stick insects'.

Prisons etc have to be built to detain all inmates.

Perhaps - my observation was that I couldn't do it :-)

Mary

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

I found a dead mouse today in a CU

Gives "proving dead" a whole new meaning...

????

Explain what "proving dead" is please. The mouse certainly was in my opinion
but I am not a vet.

But a snake in a CU. Now that is brilliant. You tell the customer that it is
probably nothing to worry about, open their CU and then tell them it is only
a dead snake that was causing the problem.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

ARWadsworth wrote:

Explain what "proving dead" is please. The mouse certainly was in my opinion
but I am not a vet.

That process of checking that conductors or equipment that you are about
to work on and that you /think/ you've isolated *really* is dead. A
proper formal procedure (e.g. to comply with the EAW regs) involves
using a test lamp or voltage indicator and proving that the indicating
device itself is working both before and after the test.

Plenty of hits on Google, e.g.
http://www.niceic.org.uk/approved/elecatwork.html

--
Andy

Mouse Balls Cliff Metalworking 47 April 2nd 06 05:10 AM
Small electrical motor question. 12 volts 230 Watts on Peg-Perego power wheel jeep rutman Electronics Repair 13 May 1st 05 10:28 PM
small accurate holes [email protected] Metalworking 21 March 12th 05 04:47 AM
How to 'contemporize' small bowls and boxes? Arch Woodturning 12 March 11th 04 08:26 PM
Small Shop Layout Traves W. Coppock Woodworking 2 July 12th 03 12:35 PM