Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

Default How small a gap can a mouse get through?

In article , Andy Wade
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

Explain what "proving dead" is please. The mouse certainly was in my opinion
but I am not a vet.

That process of checking that conductors or equipment that you are about
to work on and that you /think/ you've isolated *really* is dead. A
proper formal procedure (e.g. to comply with the EAW regs) involves
using a test lamp or voltage indicator and proving that the indicating
device itself is working both before and after the test.

Plenty of hits on Google, e.g.
http://www.niceic.org.uk/approved/elecatwork.html

We used a thing called an earth stick when I worked with TV transmitters
15 off kV at serious currents. Lotsa charged capacitors that would
regain a bit of charge. One bloke thought he had gone through the "SIDE"
routine Switch off, Isolate, Dump the capacitor charge, and Earth

Except the Isolate weren't done and someone as a temp measure had
inadvertently bypasses the switches. A most amazing BANG!!!

Gave the poor sod such a fright and the rest of the factory some
amusement....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from tony sayer contains these words:

We used a thing called an earth stick when I worked with TV transmitters
15 off kV at serious currents. Lotsa charged capacitors that would
regain a bit of charge.

Ah yes, that's a nasty habit of capacitors, isn't it. TV tubes can do
the same. You earth the HT nipple on the side, then a few minutes later
the sodding thing's live again - you know this 'cos it's given you a
heck of a belt.

--
Skipweasel
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The3rd Earl Of Derby
ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header.

I found a dead mouse today in a CU and the only entry point I could
find was where the tails entered and even that seemed too small to
let the head through.

Adam

You'll be suprised where a mouse can get. :-)

At a guess, a 2p piece sized round hole.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
More like a 1/2p at the most (if anyone remembers those!)

Mouse Balls Cliff Metalworking 47 April 2nd 06 06:10 AM
Small electrical motor question. 12 volts 230 Watts on Peg-Perego power wheel jeep rutman Electronics Repair 13 May 1st 05 11:28 PM
small accurate holes [email protected] Metalworking 21 March 12th 05 05:47 AM
How to 'contemporize' small bowls and boxes? Arch Woodturning 12 March 11th 04 09:26 PM
Small Shop Layout Traves W. Coppock Woodworking 2 July 12th 03 01:35 PM