Posted to uk.d-i-y
Liam

Default Advisable to combine bathroom wastes?

Redoing ground floor bathroom. At present I have three seperate waste
pipes for water softener, basin and bath all going to a gully outside.
Would it be possible to run just one waste pipe with two branches
joining it to the gully, or would it cause problems with syphoning?
Each waste would have its own trap. Water softener has a washing
macine type waste with trap. Total run is about 2 metres and it is a
single stack waste system.
Thanks everyone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Liam wrote:
Redoing ground floor bathroom. At present I have three seperate waste
pipes for water softener, basin and bath all going to a gully outside.
Would it be possible to run just one waste pipe with two branches
joining it to the gully, or would it cause problems with syphoning?
Each waste would have its own trap. Water softener has a washing
macine type waste with trap. Total run is about 2 metres and it is a
single stack waste system.

I'd go for it. I can't see a 2m length causing syphoning problems, but
in the unlikely event that it did, you could easily add in an
air-admittance valve without messing up all the pipework.

(And use 1.5" pipe rather than 1.25", obviously.)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick H

Liam Wrote:
Redoing ground floor bathroom. At present I have three seperate waste
pipes for water softener, basin and bath all going to a gully outside.
Would it be possible to run just one waste pipe with two branches
joining it to the gully, or would it cause problems with syphoning?
Each waste would have its own trap. Water softener has a washing
macine type waste with trap. Total run is about 2 metres and it is a
single stack waste system.
Thanks everyone.

Combining the wastes is fine but you should increase the size of the
main waste pipe to 2" to allow for the additional branches.

--
Nick H
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bookworm

Liam wrote:
Redoing ground floor bathroom. At present I have three seperate waste
pipes for water softener, basin and bath all going to a gully outside.
Would it be possible to run just one waste pipe with two branches
joining it to the gully, or would it cause problems with syphoning?
Each waste would have its own trap. Water softener has a washing
macine type waste with trap. Total run is about 2 metres and it is a
single stack waste system.
Thanks everyone.

Also do not make the 'falls' too steep. 2.5 degrees is correct. Too
steep a fall will cause the water to travel too fast down the pipe and
will draw air behind it. Also make all traps 3" deep seal traps, (anti
syphon will help).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod

"Bookworm" wrote in news:1146397578.551526.225500
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

Liam wrote:
Redoing ground floor bathroom. At present I have three seperate waste
pipes for water softener, basin and bath all going to a gully outside.
Would it be possible to run just one waste pipe with two branches
joining it to the gully, or would it cause problems with syphoning?
Each waste would have its own trap. Water softener has a washing
macine type waste with trap. Total run is about 2 metres and it is a
single stack waste system.
Thanks everyone.

Also do not make the 'falls' too steep. 2.5 degrees is correct. Too
steep a fall will cause the water to travel too fast down the pipe and
will draw air behind it. Also make all traps 3" deep seal traps, (anti
syphon will help).

Consider HepVO - excellent waste vales.

--
Rod

Tiling bathroom floor Tom W UK diy 2 April 8th 05 10:49 AM
Bathroom - tiles or cladding thewelshman UK diy 2 February 8th 05 01:05 PM
Bathroom exhausts sharing single duct?! jay Home Repair 11 January 30th 05 11:52 PM
Toilet Blocks Bathroom Door From Fully Opening Question Mark Home Repair 9 February 22nd 04 03:40 AM
Venting bathroom exhaust fans into soffit kevins_news Home Repair 5 January 8th 04 10:06 PM