Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
Malcolm Stewart

Default OT DIY Cleaning a BTE hearing aid

Just thought I'd post this as I've not found any similar information by
Googling "Groups". (Lots of "it's not ethical to meddle" stuff, of
course...)

I've had an NHS behind-the-ear hearing aid for the last few years. It's an
analog type (using a 13ZA cell with an on-T-off switch and rotary gain
control marked from 1 to 4) and this morning it was dead, despite it having
had a new cell fitted a few days ago. It was still dead after I tried a new
cell in it, so do I take it in to my local hospital today for repair and be
without it over the holiday weekend, or do I see if there's anything
obviously wrong with it? Yesterday I had noticed that it wasn't as good as
it used to be, or was that my hearing continuing to get worse...

The tube to the earpiece was clear, but when I examined the microphone area
through a magnifier I was horrified at all the crud which had accumulated,
and after removing a fair amount mechanically, I finished off blasting the
hole with IPA from an aerosol using the fine tube applicator. The visual
difference was impressive, but the hearing aid was still dead. So I dried
the HA on top of my hot water tank for 15 minutes, and it's now as good as
new. I can even turn the gain control down a notch. My guess is that the
crud had built up and stopped the microphone diaphragm from vibrating.

I've no experience with any other HA type, and I'm not taking any
responsibility if your ruin yours; but in my case I've saved two hospital
car park fees, some petrol and I've got my hearing back 3-4 days earlier
than otherwise.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
[...]

If its an NHS aid then they will swop it there and then when you take it
in.
These analogue aids a well known having problems and just going dead.

Incidently you can now apply for a digital aid now because the RNID has
stipulated to the NHS and the gov that its time to coume up to date with
the HA as most communications nowadays are digital ie mobile phones ect.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
Malcolm Stewart

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...

If its an NHS aid then they will swop it there and then when you take it
in.
These analogue aids a well known having problems and just going dead.

Incidently you can now apply for a digital aid now because the RNID has
stipulated to the NHS and the gov that its time to coume up to date with
the HA as most communications nowadays are digital ie mobile phones ect.

My previous experience with my local hospital was that two journeys were
needed with a day or more for the repair to be done. When I enquired about
a digital aid (well after other people had got them) they said that their
department was at the end of the queue.
Things are quite different in South Manchester where my aunt has been given
a digital HA a few years ago, and several follow-up consultations to try and
ensure she was getting the best out of it. Unfortunately, she's not up to
remembering how it works, and taking advantage of the better features, which
have now been disabled. In addition, she's managed to fit the cell the
wrong way round so she's now got a two part HA. (She managed the previous
analog type without difficulty - but she is now close to 90, and her age is
beginning to tell.)

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
me

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
[...]

My dad's been waiting for over 12 months for his first ever hearing aid from
the NHS - he's rarely been ill, never been in hospital, and worked from the
day he left National Service unt he was 69. The first time he ever wanted
something back he's made to feel guilty and told 'everyone wants a digital
aid these days and we can't cope'. Oh well, thats me climbing down from my
soapbox now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
[...]

If he goes to a local institute for the deaf, they will help him
considerably by pushing this further up the ladder,so to speak.
The hospitals sometimes tell porkies.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
Alan Holmes

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
Just thought I'd post this as I've not found any similar information
by Googling "Groups". (Lots of "it's not ethical to meddle" stuff,
of course...)

I've had an NHS behind-the-ear hearing aid for the last few years.
It's an analog type (using a 13ZA cell with an on-T-off switch and
rotary gain control marked from 1 to 4) and this morning it was dead,
despite it having had a new cell fitted a few days ago. It was still
dead after I tried a new cell in it, so do I take it in to my local
hospital today for repair and be without it over the holiday weekend,
or do I see if there's anything obviously wrong with it? Yesterday I
had noticed that it wasn't as good as it used to be, or was that my
hearing continuing to get worse...

Take it to the hospital they will change it straight away if it is faulty,
and give you another hearing test.

A while ago when I had a problem they changed it for a digital aid.

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
kimble

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

These analogue aids a well known having problems and just going dead.

It's the bank holiday weekends that do it. Especially if your audiology
department take the opportunity to stay closed on the Tuesday for no
apparent reason.

Kim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
Martyn H

unfortunately until 2004 ( and now if still not assimiliated to agenda
for change ) the NHS had 10 bank holidays these extra 2 were
achieved by having certain tuesdays nominated as bank holidays

under agendna for change these 2 extra bank holidays were turned into
leave days, as had been the practice in those areas operating on a
shift system anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
Mark Rand

On 29 Apr 2006 09:56:30 -0700, "Martyn H" wrote:

unfortunately until 2004 ( and now if still not assimiliated to agenda
for change ) the NHS had 10 bank holidays these extra 2 were
achieved by having certain tuesdays nominated as bank holidays

under agendna for change these 2 extra bank holidays were turned into
leave days, as had been the practice in those areas operating on a
shift system anyway.

How peculiar. Did they tell the banks?

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
Mike Whittome

In message , Malcolm
Stewart writes
[...]

The ultrasonic units from Aldi, that we all rushed out to buy earlier
this year, are excellent for doing the ear pieces - but do detach the
electronics first!!!

Mike
--
Mike Whittome

YQ-95 II Saws type cement concrete road surface crack cleaning machine [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 06 12:20 AM
"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
8mm camcorder problems crevitch Electronics Repair 5 October 7th 05 03:59 AM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM