Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default aluminium arched georgian bar double-glazed window quote

Had quote for 1660 GBP for an aluminium arched georgian bar
double-glazed window.
I told her I wanted the glazing bars fake, i.e. not separate panes.
So 3 panes, left lower casement, right lower fixed light, upper arched
fixed light.
Dims: square area 900mm wide x 975 vertical. Curved section 375mm high.
ASCII art (but obviously curved in top section.
_____
/\ /\
/ \ / \
|___0___|
| | |
|___|___|
| | |
|___|___|
| | |
|___|___|

OK, would be expensive-ish for the frame. But she also talked about
"specially curved" glass, which makes me suspicious. You see the curved
glass units in double-glazed front doors all over the place.
I will try and find out the manufacturer of the frame profiles, and
check how much mark-up they are making for my quote.
Anyone know how much a curved double-glazed unit would cost ?
Anyone know how I could get this cheaper ?
I could have PVCu, but the frames will be rather too bulky.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Had quote for 1660 GBP for an aluminium arched georgian bar
double-glazed window ...

Oops, forgot to say. The price included installation.
I'll ask her about supply only.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I paid a £10 supplement per unit for non-rectangular sealed double
glazed units plus a price based on the outer rectangle (for glass units
collected by me to fit my own custom timber frames).

Your total price would be ballpark for custom wooden windows,supply
only.

Ask for a price breakdown.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it a modern property or the real Georgian McCoy? I'd only spend 1100
on aluminium if I really wanted aluminium. Find a trad joiner to make
the real thing - and no fake glazing bars!