DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dont buy Power Devil Pressure Washers (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/155257-dont-buy-power-devil-pressure-washers.html)

merayar April 27th 06 10:26 PM

Dont buy Power Devil Pressure Washers

I bought a Power Devil Pressure Washer from Argos and it worked fine on
the occasions that I used it. However it developed a fault and I
diagnosed the problem.

When trying to locate a replacement part, I managed to find that the
Customer Support is done by a company called ALBA Plc (tel 0870 873
0094).

In answer to my query about a replacement part they said

QUOTE
Quoting CustomerCare :

Thank you for your e-mail, regarding a spare part for your Power Devil
pressure washer.

Unfortunately the part in question is not available as a spare.

UNQUOTE

So I asked if there was a dealer who could repair the item. They
replied back,

QUOTE

Unfortunately we do not provide service facilities for the product in
question, meaning we are not able to refer you to a service centre for
repair. This is due to the fact that servicing is simply not
economically
viable in most cases.

UNQUOTE

I would recommend that if you are thinking of buying a Power Devil
then steer clear of this product.

Well you've gained a valuable experience ie if your after a spares back up
and a service centre then don't buy cheap imports.
However you are entitled to a new one or your money back if they can't come
up with a replacement.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

raden April 27th 06 11:03 PM

Dont buy Power Devil Pressure Washers

In message .com,
merayar writes
I bought a Power Devil Pressure Washer from Argos and it worked fine on
the occasions that I used it. However it developed a fault and I
diagnosed the problem.

How much did you pay for it, £50 ?

--
geoff

The3rd Earl Of Derby April 27th 06 11:14 PM

Dont buy Power Devil Pressure Washers

raden wrote:
In message .com,
merayar writes
I bought a Power Devil Pressure Washer from Argos and it worked fine
on the occasions that I used it. However it developed a fault and I
diagnosed the problem.

How much did you pay for it, £50 ?

--
geoff

Thats a rather generous price for a PD Washer.

I'd say about 29.99GBP

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Chris Bacon April 27th 06 11:32 PM

merayar wrote:
I bought a Power Devil Pressure Washer from Argos and it worked fine on
the occasions that I used it. However it developed a fault
[which could not be fixed]

How much did it cost?
How long have you had it?
Have you approached Argos about this WRT a refund?

[email protected] April 27th 06 11:33 PM

Dont buy Poor Devil Pressure Washers

merayar wrote:

Unfortunately we do not provide service facilities for the product in
question, meaning we are not able to refer you to a service centre for
repair. This is due to the fact that servicing is simply not
economically
viable in most cases.

UNQUOTE

I would recommend that if you are thinking of buying a Power Devil then
steer clear of this product.

This is normal policy with bottom end products. You get what you pay
for.

NT

Guy King April 27th 06 11:53 PM

Dont buy Power Devil Pressure Washers

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

How long have you had it?

That's the relevant question. If it's five years, forget it. If it's six
months then it's clearly not lasted as a reasonable person might expect
it to - so go nobble the shop.

Don't take any crap about "Take it up with the supplier" either.
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm
is worth a read.

--
Skipweasel

Guy King April 27th 06 11:54 PM

Dont buy Poor Devil Pressure Washers

The message .com
from contains these words:

This is normal policy with bottom end products. You get what you pay
for.

You mean like using Google Groups and starting a new thread each time
you reply?
(insert smiley here)

--
Skipweasel

[email protected] April 28th 06 12:15 AM

Dont buy Poor Devil Pressure Washers

Guy King wrote:
The message .com
from contains these words:

This is normal policy with bottom end products. You get what you pay
for.

You mean like using Google Groups and starting a new thread each time
you reply?
(insert smiley here)

probably :) But I didnt start a new thread, check your reader settings
maybe. Or did you also get what you paid for? :)

NT

The Medway Handyman April 28th 06 12:17 AM

merayar wrote:

Unfortunately we do not provide service facilities for the product in
question, meaning we are not able to refer you to a service centre for
repair. This is due to the fact that servicing is simply not
economically
viable in most cases.

No surprise. The economics are simple; Retail in UK (inc VAT) say £40.
Excluding VAT £34. Retail margin £7, importers margin £7, cost ex China inc
frieght £20 (and China is a long way away). It's a £10 pressure washer.

Service engineer absolute rock bottom minimum £30 per hour. Cost of
stocking & sending parts?

You have to expect that if you buy low end goods. I do buy some low end
stuff, last purchase a £20 drill driver from Argos for light duty jobs. I
don't expect any parts or service back up. If it lasts a year under
guarantee it's cost me 40p a week, any longer is a bonus, when it breaks
I'll buy another.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Guy King April 28th 06 12:43 AM

Dont buy Poor Devil Pressure Washers

The message .com
from contains these words:

You mean like using Google Groups and starting a new thread each time
you reply?
(insert smiley here)

probably :) But I didnt start a new thread, check your reader settings
maybe. Or did you also get what you paid for? :)

It's something I keep meaning to mention to the bloek who writes it! I
don't think I'm the only one, though, who has trouble with Google Groups
starting new threads.

--
Skipweasel

Andrew Gabriel April 28th 06 08:03 PM

Dont buy Poor Devil Pressure Washers

In article .com,
writes:

probably :) But I didnt start a new thread, check your reader settings
maybe. Or did you also get what you paid for? :)

You changed the subject. As many newsreaders display threads by
subject, it will be treated as a new thread in many cases.
(Mine shows it as sub-thread.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

[email protected] April 29th 06 12:04 AM

Dont buy Poor Devil Pressure Washers

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
writes:

probably :) But I didnt start a new thread, check your reader settings
maybe. Or did you also get what you paid for? :)

You changed the subject. As many newsreaders display threads by
subject, it will be treated as a new thread in many cases.
(Mine shows it as sub-thread.)

but its upto you what you change its settings to.

NT

Guy King April 29th 06 12:24 AM

Dont buy Poor Devil Pressure Washers

The message .com
from contains these words:

You changed the subject. As many newsreaders display threads by
subject, it will be treated as a new thread in many cases.
(Mine shows it as sub-thread.)

but its upto you what you change its settings to.

That'd depend on the newsreader. Mine goes by subject and doesn't have
the facility to cope with gratuitous subject changes.

--
Skipweasel

Unfortunately we do not provide service facilities for the product in
question, meaning we are not able to refer you to a service centre for
repair. This is due to the fact that servicing is simply not
economically
viable in most cases.

UNQUOTE

I would recommend that if you are thinking of buying a Power Devil then
steer clear of this product.

ALBA = Argos Low Budget Appliances !!

Bob Eager April 29th 06 12:41 PM

Dont buy Power Devil Pressure Washers

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:13:37 UTC, Owain
wrote:

MATSUI - Manky Asian Tat Sold to Uninformed Ignoramuses (-ami?)

Wasn't that the brand that DRG 'invented' to sell British made stuff to
people who were after what they considered to be high quality Japanese
stuff?

Originally, that is.

[email protected] April 29th 06 07:32 PM

Dont buy Poor Devil Pressure Washers

Guy King wrote:
The message .com
from contains these words:

You changed the subject. As many newsreaders display threads by
subject, it will be treated as a new thread in many cases.
(Mine shows it as sub-thread.)

but its upto you what you change its settings to.

That'd depend on the newsreader. Mine goes by subject and doesn't have
the facility to cope with gratuitous subject changes.

Ah, the plaintiff got what they paid for.

NT

Guy King April 29th 06 08:40 PM

Dont buy Power Devil Pressure Washers

The message
from Owain contains these words:

ALBA = All Lousy ******* Appliances.

GOODMANS = Great Once, Originally Decent; Many Appliances Now ****e.

AMSTRAD - Authentic Manky ****e Trying Reincarnate As Decent

MATSUI - Manky Asian Tat Sold to Uninformed Ignoramuses (-ami?)

DIXONS - Dubious Insurance Ex Oikishly Naff Salesmen

Thing is - all these are just badge-engineering fronts now. A friend is
a self-employed graphic artist who does work for DSL sometimes - they
have meetings at which they play with a bit of kit and decide what
quality level it fits in and assign a badge accordingly then negotiate
with the name owner for a price.

--
Skipweasel

Clive[_5_] June 13th 21 09:04 PM

Dont buy Power Devil Pressure Washers

I bought a Power Devil model PDG4024 in 2001 from the local market for £20. It has given years of good service but about 2 years ago it lost pressure. I filled it with 5% white vinegar and forgot about it for a couple of weeks. 6 months or so ago my son told me it was playing up again. This time I stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning with acetic acid, have put it back together and unfortunately the bypass valve is passing when it should not be. I am going to try and acid clean it and exercise the valve in situ or take it out (assuming it will come out, it may be stuck through scale in the water) and replace the O ring.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rs-242303-.htm