DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Book recommendation - improving fine woodworking skills (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/154754-book-recommendation-improving-fine-woodworking-skills.html)

JC April 24th 06 11:26 AM

Book recommendation - improving fine woodworking skills

Hi all,

I'm fairly competent when it comes to basic, round-the-house type
carpentry, but I'd like to improve my finer woodworking skills. I'd
actually like to make a jewelry box as a gift.

I'm not having much luck finding a good book to help me, though. All I
can find are big thick general carpentry manuals, books on how to build
decking and lots of "big" furniture making books.

Can anyone recommend a title or two?

Cheers, Jeremy

Andy Hall April 24th 06 10:52 PM

Book recommendation - improving fine woodworking skills

On 24 Apr 2006 03:26:41 -0700, "JC"
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm fairly competent when it comes to basic, round-the-house type
carpentry, but I'd like to improve my finer woodworking skills. I'd
actually like to make a jewelry box as a gift.

I'm not having much luck finding a good book to help me, though. All I
can find are big thick general carpentry manuals, books on how to build
decking and lots of "big" furniture making books.

Can anyone recommend a title or two?

Cheers, Jeremy

Generally most things published by Taunton Press in their woodworking
range are of good quality.

You can look up titles and then usually they are obtainable from
Amazon or Axminster Tools among others.

Also, take a look at their web site for Fine Woodworking magazine.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/

You can subscribe to the site and download articles from past issues.
There are techniques as well as projects and again generally quite
good quality stuff.

--

..andy