Posted to uk.d-i-y
NeedforSwede2

Default Jos completed this weekend so far -1, time in A&E 2.5 hours.

Been attempting to fit new bathroom, with father in law (he does some
plumbing).
Discover a load of the plaster is blown on walls, but that is easy
boarded.
Decide to hide some pipes that had been routed under the old bath, and
put them under the floor.
Missus knows boards are up, but still catches the edge of one of the
lifted board, slips, twists one ankle, but puts other foot through the
lathe and plaster ceiling.
Well, we sick of the artex anyway, and at least she missed the light
fitting.

Next weeks task, plasterboarding a ceiling. Any tips I should be aware
of, never done any plasterboarding at all.

And we still have one leaky solder ring fitting that we can't cure.
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

NeedforSwede2 wrote:
Well, we sick of the artex anyway, and at least she missed the light
fitting.

Next weeks task, plasterboarding a ceiling. Any tips I should be aware
of, never done any plasterboarding at all.

Banish the missues from the vicinty, or make sure she pays you rightly
for the coming grief.

Plenty of hits in google for "plasterboarding ceilings".

And we still have one leaky solder ring fitting that we can't cure.

Worrying, how come?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

NeedforSwede2 wrote:
snip
Next weeks task, plasterboarding a ceiling. Any tips I should be aware
of, never done any plasterboarding at all.

Use plasterboard screws instead of nails, provided of course you have an
electric driver.

Find all the joists and mark their positions on each wall, then mark a line
with a pencil on the existing ceiling (this is assuming you are plating over
something)

Make sure that boards meet on a joist, you can't leave flapping p-board.

Take off the ceiling rose (light fitting) and tape up the cables, then when
you get to that part, just cut a hole about an inch where the cables are and
feed them through, if you are skimming the ceiling, leave the fitting off
and plaster to the cables, trying to skim around ceiling roses is a PITA.

If you miss the joists with any nails or screws, remove them immediately, if
you don't, you'll forget and they will show through when plastered.

Use 6X3 plasterboards or 4X3, don't attempt to use 8X4's, and whichever you
use, make sure someone is with you when you put them up.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
NeedforSwede2 wrote:
And we still have one leaky solder ring fitting that we can't cure.

Sounds like you've got water lying or more likely still dribbling into one
of the pipes. When you heat it up steam blows through the solder. Can you
actually disconnect the possibly live pipe rather than relying on a stop
cock and blow it through with air?

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

John Rumm wrote:
NeedforSwede2 wrote:

Next weeks task, plasterboarding a ceiling. Any tips I should be
aware of, never done any plasterboarding at all.

Probably plenty in the archives on this... however a couple of tips.

1) Mark the joist positions carfully so you know where to screw.

2) Make yourself a deadman prop - i.e. a length of 2x1" a couple of
inches longer than the floor to ceiling length. Screw a length across
the top to make a large "T". You can then lift the board into place
and wedge it there with the prop.

3) Get some long enough drywall screws and a suitable shrouded bit for
the drill driver - like:

slap the drill on high ish speed and stick em in on appox a 400mm c/c
grid.

400mm? do you mean between screws?

IMV this may be fine for wallboards, but ceilings will sag if not fixed
every 150 - 200mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Phil L wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

slap the drill on high ish speed and stick em in on appox a 400mm c/c grid.

400mm? do you mean between screws?

This may be fine for wallboards, but ceilings will sag if not fixed every 150 - 200mm

Boards are marked for fixings. Not exactly intended as holy script but
serious guides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Phil L wrote:

400mm? do you mean between screws?

IMV this may be fine for wallboards, but ceilings will sag if not fixed
every 150 - 200mm

Well your joist spacing will limit the screw frequency in one direction,
and there seems little point in going that much denser in the other
direction...

Perhaps it depends a bit on if you are using 9 or 12mm board, I usually
use 12mm and have never noticed any sag at all in the space of 400mm
(i.e 32 screws per 8x4' board).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Perhaps it depends a bit on if you are using 9 or 12mm board, I usually
use 12mm and have never noticed any sag at all in the space of 400mm
(i.e 32 screws per 8x4' board).

First time I put PB up I just put one screw in the middle of the sheet,
and said to the guy I was with 'thats alright, innit.' The look on his
face was so funny

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
NeedforSwede2 wrote:
It was I think vapour/steam blowing it. We are going to use a
compression elbo and a flexi instead of a series of solder elbows and
shortpipe lengths.

Hmm. Hope it's accessible afterwards.

I've got a HVLP spay set from Apollo which just happens to have a standard
1/2" bsp thread on the hose. Disconnect the offending pipe at the nearest
compression fitting - usually a stop cock in my case - and blow the pipe
dry. Only takes a couple of minutes as the air is warm too. Make sure
no-one is looking down the other end first, though. ;-)

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

OT - $87 Billion Moore Cliff Huprich Metalworking 142 July 26th 04 09:19 PM
30 Hours Of Calls to UK, Western Europe & North America for just £15.99 a month David @chaplehouse.demon.co.uk UK diy 5 April 30th 04 12:18 AM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 08:38 PM
Making a ruin into something habitable. Liz UK diy 140 August 12th 03 01:03 PM