DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pumpkin cutter (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/154009-pumpkin-cutter.html)

Nick April 19th 06 09:46 AM

Pumpkin cutter

I once saw a gadget that cuts pumpkins safely. It's basically a
long knife hinged at the end to a baseplate.
I'd like to make one (or buy one) for a friend who is an invalid
and unable to cut pumpkins open.
But when I use Google, any useful sites are buried amongst
millions of damned Halloween sites.
Anyone got a site or ideas for a design?

Cicero April 19th 06 11:25 AM

Pumpkin cutter

"Nick" wrote in message
I once saw a gadget that cuts pumpkins safely. It's basically a
long knife hinged at the end to a baseplate.
I'd like to make one (or buy one) for a friend who is an invalid
and unable to cut pumpkins open.
But when I use Google, any useful sites are buried amongst
millions of damned Halloween sites.
Anyone got a site or ideas for a design?

====================
You might consider a traditional paper guillotine - not the sliding trimmer
type.

It would be worth testing one to see if it works properly on fruit although
they seem to do pretty well on fingers.

Cic.

Nick April 19th 06 12:09 PM

Pumpkin cutter

Cicero wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message

I once saw a gadget that cuts pumpkins safely. It's basically a
long knife hinged at the end to a baseplate.
I'd like to make one (or buy one) for a friend who is an invalid
and unable to cut pumpkins open.
But when I use Google, any useful sites are buried amongst
millions of damned Halloween sites.
Anyone got a site or ideas for a design?

====================
You might consider a traditional paper guillotine - not the sliding trimmer
type.

It would be worth testing one to see if it works properly on fruit although
they seem to do pretty well on fingers.

I think the blade needs to be thinner than that, and needs to be
stainless steel. I have some stainless steel but it's a bit too
thin. Maybe I can buy a long knife and put an extension on the
handle.

[email protected] April 19th 06 06:02 PM

Pumpkin cutter

Nick wrote:
I once saw a gadget that cuts pumpkins safely. It's basically a
long knife hinged at the end to a baseplate.
I'd like to make one (or buy one) for a friend who is an invalid
and unable to cut pumpkins open.
But when I use Google, any useful sites are buried amongst
millions of damned Halloween sites.
Anyone got a site or ideas for a design?

I find the Images search on Google good for this sort of thing. There
must have been some research done on the eye discriminating more
quickly between images that would fit in.

Anyway, it turned up this:

http://www.sifc.co.za/images/squash_cutter.jpg

HTH
IanC

mike April 19th 06 07:35 PM

Pumpkin cutter

wrote in
ps.com:

I find the Images search on Google good for this sort of thing. There
must have been some research done on the eye discriminating more
quickly between images that would fit in.

With a quick look that seems one of the best suggestions I've seen

Thanks

mike

Nick April 19th 06 09:53 PM

Pumpkin cutter

wrote:

Nick wrote:

I once saw a gadget that cuts pumpkins safely. It's basically a
long knife hinged at the end to a baseplate.
I'd like to make one (or buy one) for a friend who is an invalid
and unable to cut pumpkins open.
But when I use Google, any useful sites are buried amongst
millions of damned Halloween sites.
Anyone got a site or ideas for a design?

I find the Images search on Google good for this sort of thing. There
must have been some research done on the eye discriminating more
quickly between images that would fit in.

Anyway, it turned up this:

http://www.sifc.co.za/images/squash_cutter.jpg

Yes that's the kind of thing I want, but it needs to be much
larger. I'll get a large knife and make one. I am amazed that all
kitchen shops don't have pumpkin cutters for sale. There's an
idea for someone to make some money.

Ben Blaukopf April 20th 06 10:01 AM

Pumpkin cutter

Nick wrote:
I once saw a gadget that cuts pumpkins safely. It's basically a long
knife hinged at the end to a baseplate.
I'd like to make one (or buy one) for a friend who is an invalid and
unable to cut pumpkins open.
But when I use Google, any useful sites are buried amongst millions of
damned Halloween sites.

Use quotes - i.e. google for '"pumpkin cutter"', not 'pumpkin cutter'.

Anyone got a site or ideas for a design?

http://www.cottagecakecraft.co.uk/erol.html#558x2140

I googled for

"pumpkin cutter" delivery

and selected pages from the UK - that gave me exactly two hits. They
sell four sizes, hopefully one of them is right!

and got

Guy King April 20th 06 10:36 AM

Pumpkin cutter

The message
from Nick contains these words:

Yes that's the kind of thing I want, but it needs to be much
larger. I'll get a large knife and make one. I am amazed that all
kitchen shops don't have pumpkin cutters for sale. There's an
idea for someone to make some money.

Probably 'cos almost no one eats pumpkins.

--
Skipweasel

Nick April 20th 06 01:16 PM

Pumpkin cutter

Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Nick wrote:

I once saw a gadget that cuts pumpkins safely. It's basically a long
knife hinged at the end to a baseplate.
I'd like to make one (or buy one) for a friend who is an invalid and
unable to cut pumpkins open.
But when I use Google, any useful sites are buried amongst millions of
damned Halloween sites.

Use quotes - i.e. google for '"pumpkin cutter"', not 'pumpkin cutter'.

I did that, of course.

Anyone got a site or ideas for a design?

http://www.cottagecakecraft.co.uk/erol.html#558x2140

I googled for

"pumpkin cutter" delivery

and selected pages from the UK - that gave me exactly two hits. They
sell four sizes, hopefully one of them is right!

Now for a site in New Zealand!
This one looks good:
http://hiranojp.com/otherlanguage/bu...En/a/a1008.htm