Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Working safely on a hipped roof

Hi

Is there a standard way of working safely on the ridge where a roof hip
joins the main section using 'normal' equipment?

I can think of two possibilities:

1) Put a standard roof ladder over each side of the main roof (ie, two
ladders), and bring a rope between them across the hip.

2) Put a tower against the flank wall (where the hip runs to), secure
it to the building with eye bolts, then lay a ladder over the roof that
is secured to the tower at its base.

Anyone have any thoughts?

IanC

Posted to uk.d-i-y
keith_765

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

Is there a standard way of working safely on the ridge where a roof hip
joins the main section using 'normal' equipment?

I can think of two possibilities:

1) Put a standard roof ladder over each side of the main roof (ie, two
ladders), and bring a rope between them across the hip.

2) Put a tower against the flank wall (where the hip runs to), secure
it to the building with eye bolts, then lay a ladder over the roof that
is secured to the tower at its base.

Anyone have any thoughts?

IanC

Theres only one safe way and thats with a scaffolding along the eave. It
can be done with a tower, providing you take out the tiles were you intend
to get to and tie the tower with a rope around two or three tile lath's or
round the rafters if theres no felt. Tie the roof crawler with a rope round
the rungs in the same manner, make sure that the rope is fixed above the
lath or rafter above the rung. This is not a 100% safty idea it will only
stop the crawler from slipping down not from side to side. the scaffolding
or tower is only there for a platform to stand on and stack tools and
materials on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Stuart Noble wrote:

Bottling it.

Absolutely the safest way altogether.

Hardly DIY though.

*******

"If I listened to the opinions of generals or military officers in the
field, we'd never have had the success we've had in running this war.
So, I'm not about to start listening now."
Donald H. Rumsfeld.

(According to the Wikipedia he served in the U.S. Navy as an aviator
and flight instructor. With a Distinguished Eagle Scout Award, he
served as a puppet under Nixon where he learned all he knows about
politics.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Paul Andrews
wrote:

And to think that in my twenties (many years ago) I used to scramble up the
roof without a roof ladder to sort out our ariel... LOL

Why didn't you keep it in the kitchen, closer to the washing machine?

--
AJL

Spray in foam insulation + minimum roof slope? Albert Home Repair 13 November 9th 04 07:53 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 11:28 AM
Garden Shed Roof Leaking News UK diy 3 November 6th 03 10:05 PM
shingle or metal roof? [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 30th 03 05:15 PM
Making a ruin into something habitable. Liz UK diy 140 August 12th 03 01:03 PM