DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dishwasher installation & foil lining of surrounding woodwork (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/153680-dishwasher-installation-foil-lining-surrounding-woodwork.html)

Cordless Crazy April 17th 06 11:15 AM

Dishwasher installation & foil lining of surrounding woodwork

I remember seeing some foil type stuff years ago which they (not sure who 'they' are) say you should fix to the underside of the worktop (and I think the side cupboards) to protect from the steam/heat.

My question is: Is this required or advised these days especially with new and much more efficient dishwashers?

I'm installing a new Bosch built-in jobbie (model no. SGV53E03) over the next week which, being a reasonable good make, I assume should not heat up the surrounding woodwork like a flame thrower, but who knows.

Any one got one of these installed or any advise?

Mike Halmarack April 18th 06 12:05 PM

Dishwasher installation & foil lining of surrounding woodwork

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:15:39 +0100, Cordless Crazy
wrote:

I remember seeing some foil type stuff years ago which they (not sure
who 'they' are) say you should fix to the underside of the worktop (and
I think the side cupboards) to protect from the steam/heat.

My question is: Is this required or advised these days especially with
new and much more efficient dishwashers?

I'm installing a new Bosch built-in jobbie (model no. SGV53E03) over
the next week which, being a reasonable good make, I assume should not
heat up the surrounding woodwork like a flame thrower, but who knows.

Any one got one of these installed or any advise?

I don't have a dishwasher as hand washing dishes is one of my
favourite activities.

Why not foil it anyway to be on the safe side?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Brian Sharrock April 18th 06 12:08 PM

wrote:

I remember seeing some foil type stuff years ago which they (not sure
who 'they' are) say you should fix to the underside of the worktop (and
I think the side cupboards) to protect from the steam/heat.

My question is: Is this required or advised these days especially with
new and much more efficient dishwashers?

I'm installing a new Bosch built-in jobbie (model no. SGV53E03) over
the next week which, being a reasonable good make, I assume should not
heat up the surrounding woodwork like a flame thrower, but who knows.

Any one got one of these installed or any advise?

When I installed the maple timber work/counter tops in my kitchen I was
advised by the retailer to install (your) reflective foil to the
under-surface of the work tops above every heat-producing device ... this
was effectively the under-counter fridge and the dishwasher. The gas-hob
didn't require one as its heat 'goes upwards'. Considering the cost was
trivial in comparison to the timber work-tops, I took his advice! No
experience of operating these devices without the foil (sticky-back)
installed.

--

Brian

Mary Fisher April 18th 06 12:28 PM

"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message

I remember seeing some foil type stuff years ago which they (not sure
who 'they' are) say you should fix to the underside of the worktop (and
I think the side cupboards) to protect from the steam/heat.

My question is: Is this required or advised these days especially with
new and much more efficient dishwashers?

I'm installing a new Bosch built-in jobbie (model no. SGV53E03) over
the next week which, being a reasonable good make, I assume should not
heat up the surrounding woodwork like a flame thrower, but who knows.

Any one got one of these installed or any advise?

Our dishwasher used to be under the thick mdf or chipboard - something
nasty - counter top (we were given it). The counter didn't suffer at all.

The machine was moved to underneath the ss draining board, which gets warm
when the dw's on.

I don't think any steam is emitted except through the pipe and the dry heat
hasn't affected the mdf/chipboard.

Mary

The Natural Philosopher April 18th 06 01:27 PM

wrote:

I remember seeing some foil type stuff years ago which they (not sure
who 'they' are) say you should fix to the underside of the worktop (and
I think the side cupboards) to protect from the steam/heat.

My question is: Is this required or advised these days especially with
new and much more efficient dishwashers?

I'm installing a new Bosch built-in jobbie (model no. SGV53E03) over
the next week which, being a reasonable good make, I assume should not
heat up the surrounding woodwork like a flame thrower, but who knows.

Any one got one of these installed or any advise?

I don't have a dishwasher as hand washing dishes is one of my
favourite activities.

Why not foil it anyway to be on the safe side?

The foil is useless as a heat protector..its there to stop steam and
condensation getting at the woodwork.

If the area is well enough ventilated, forget it.