DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   single FCU for double socket? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/153597-single-fcu-double-socket.html)

Darren Cooper April 16th 06 06:07 PM

single FCU for double socket?

Hi,
I have a 13A FCU which has a single socket for the dishwasher. I want to
change this to a double socket for the washing machine and tumble dryer, I
assume I need to change the FCU to a 20A switch, is this correct and OK part
P wise?
TIA,
Darren

John Rumm April 16th 06 10:35 PM

Darren Cooper wrote:

I have a 13A FCU which has a single socket for the dishwasher. I want to
change this to a double socket for the washing machine and tumble dryer,

You neglect to mention what powers this FCU... i.e. it is on a ring
final circuit, or is it a spur from one, or on its own radial. What size
cable feeds it, and what protection device (rating and type) does it
have in the CU?

assume I need to change the FCU to a 20A switch,

Possibly, what type of cable connects the FCU to the socket?

is this correct and OK part
P wise?

If it is in a kitchen then no.

--
Cheers,

John.

Christian McArdle April 18th 06 11:16 AM

single FCU for double socket?

I have a 13A FCU which has a single socket for the dishwasher. I want to
change this to a double socket for the washing machine and tumble dryer, I
assume I need to change the FCU to a 20A switch, is this correct and OK

part
P wise?

I would say no. Whilst a run of 2.5mm cable is normally fine for a double
socket at 32A protection, this is assuming that the socket has no particular
likelihood of overloading. If you are intending to run the dishwasher,
tumble dryer and washing machine off it (presumably using an adaptor), you
can make no such assumption and should expect loadings well in excess of
20A, making a double socket unsuitable.

The very least you should do is provide single sockets actually on the ring
(or fed via DP switches/FCUs on the ring). Personally, I think that
kitchen/utility rooms should be designed with one or more separate circuits
for laundry appliances, due to the likelihood of sustained point loads that
rings aren't designed to cater for.

Christian.