DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cheap? Chinese Tools. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/153036-cheap-chinese-tools.html)

Weatherlawyer April 12th 06 01:00 PM

Cheap? Chinese Tools.

Residents of a village in eastern China have attacked local factories
they blame for poisoning their water supply, a Hong Kong newspaper has
reported.

The incident in a village in Fujian province is the latest in a series
of protests against environmental polluters to shake rural China.

According to the South China Morning Post about 200 villagers, some
armed with iron bars, attacked three factories and a sewage plant in
the province's leather development zone, smashing windows and
equipment.

Police and local officials broke up the protest after several hours,
but no arrests were made.

Local police station director Cheng Hongbin was quoted by the newspaper
as saying the "serious nature" of the incident meant police could not
take strong action.

"It was a massive incident and the villagers were angry. We couldn't
take any action, nor detain anybody," he said.

Villagers had complained that discharges from the factories and sewage
plant had polluted the water supply, damaged crops and created a
lingering stench, the newspaper said.

Protests against polluting industries have become increasingly common
across rural China, where emissions regulations are poorly enforced and
the environment is often sacrificed in the pursuit of short-term
profits.

The protest is also symptomatic of a growing sense of disaffection felt
by millions of peasants across China who feel they have been left
behind by the country's breakneck economic growth.

http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage

The3rd Earl Of Derby April 12th 06 01:12 PM

Cheap? Chinese Tools.

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Residents of a village in eastern China have attacked local factories
they blame for poisoning their water supply, a Hong Kong newspaper has
reported.

And?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

TonyK April 12th 06 02:17 PM

Cheap? Chinese Tools.

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Weatherlawyer wrote:
Residents of a village in eastern China have attacked local factories
they blame for poisoning their water supply, a Hong Kong newspaper has
reported.

And?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I think the point is that there is a cost to everything.

The3rd Earl Of Derby April 12th 06 04:01 PM

Cheap? Chinese Tools.

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Residents of a village in eastern China have attacked local
factories they blame for poisoning their water supply, a Hong Kong
newspaper has reported.

And?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I think the point is that there is a cost to everything.

I'm rather more concerned whats going on in my own part of the world rather
eastern china.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Paul Andrews April 12th 06 04:56 PM

Cheap? Chinese Tools.

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Residents of a village in eastern China have attacked local
factories they blame for poisoning their water supply, a Hong Kong
newspaper has reported.

And?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I think the point is that there is a cost to everything.

I'm rather more concerned whats going on in my own part of the world

rather
eastern china.

I think that what goes on in this part of the world is affecting Eastern
China (and vice versa). There is a price for everything.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite