DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   faulty smoke alarm (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/152860-faulty-smoke-alarm.html)

nigmyk April 11th 06 07:37 AM

faulty smoke alarm

I have three linked mains wired smoke alarms in the house I have just
bought. They go off by mistake about once a day. Does anyone know what
the fault is and how to rectify it?
Cheers Nigmyk

Phil Anthropist April 11th 06 08:06 AM

faulty smoke alarm

"nigmyk" wrote:
I have three linked mains wired smoke alarms in the house I have just
bought. They go off by mistake about once a day. Does anyone know what
the fault is and how to rectify it?
Cheers Nigmyk

Might be worth a try - clean the dust and dead flies out of them. If that
doesn't work, you could try disconnecting each one in turn to find which if
any sensor is faulty. I that doesn't work then the problem is probably
central and may be beyond diy.

rrh April 11th 06 08:09 AM

faulty smoke alarm

"nigmyk" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have three linked mains wired smoke alarms in the house I have just
bought. They go off by mistake about once a day. Does anyone know what
the fault is and how to rectify it?
Cheers Nigmyk

You have of course ruled out smoke or steam (eg from a kitchen or bathroom)
or electrical interference? The Kidde ones I fitted 18 months ago had
surprisingly stringent requirements relating to distance from nearest
bathroom, distance from nearest light fitting etc.

If it's a fault then chances are it is just one of the three units.
Disconnect one by one and leave each for a couple of days to identify.

The3rd Earl Of Derby April 11th 06 08:54 AM

faulty smoke alarm

nigmyk wrote:
I have three linked mains wired smoke alarms in the house I have just
bought. They go off by mistake about once a day. Does anyone know what
the fault is and how to rectify it?
Cheers Nigmyk

I can understand 1 going off,but all 3? sounds like something common to all
three, mains tripping them?
As advised disconnect all but one and do each the same in turn.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Andy Burns April 11th 06 09:02 AM

faulty smoke alarm

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I can understand 1 going off,but all 3? sounds like something common to all
three

The clue *might* be in the phrase "linked" :-P

The Natural Philosopher April 11th 06 09:59 AM

faulty smoke alarm

Andy Burns wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I can understand 1 going off,but all 3? sounds like something common
to all
three

The clue *might* be in the phrase "linked" :-P

Yeah..managed to set all mine off yesterday doing some plumbing..flux
smoke gets them really excited..

raden April 11th 06 08:46 PM

faulty smoke alarm

In message .com,
nigmyk writes
I have three linked mains wired smoke alarms in the house I have just
bought. They go off by mistake about once a day. Does anyone know what
the fault is and how to rectify it?
Cheers Nigmyk

Get a pro in

.... or post some useful information

--
geoff

Bill April 11th 06 09:48 PM

faulty smoke alarm

In message , raden
writes

Get a pro in

Will that help?

--
Bill

raden April 11th 06 10:19 PM

faulty smoke alarm

In message , Bill
writes
In message , raden
writes

Get a pro in

Will that help?

I thought I'd deleted it - obviously not

--
geoff

Gel April 12th 06 08:00 AM

faulty smoke alarm

What does your manual advise.

See a selection here; suggest you need a Users Manual; same principles
apply no matter what brand.
http://www.kiddefyrnetics.co.uk/alarmmanuals.shtml