Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

Default Planning Tile layout in a shower room

Hi,

I'm going to be replace a complete en-suite shower room and would just like
to confirm my thoughts re the wall tiling.

I will be tiling 3 complete walls prior to the installation of the WC and
basin.

I was planning on installing the shower tray first and using the top of the
tray as my reference for a full tile around the 3 walls.
The height of the tray is probably about 10-15cm so I thought that going up
from the skirting/floor would leave a cut tile above the tray which may not
look too good.
I of course intend to batten around the room and tile up from that and then
fill in the section below.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 18:31:05 +0100, "Andy" wrote:

Hi,

I'm going to be replace a complete en-suite shower room and would just like
to confirm my thoughts re the wall tiling.

I will be tiling 3 complete walls prior to the installation of the WC and
basin.

I was planning on installing the shower tray first and using the top of the
tray as my reference for a full tile around the 3 walls.
The height of the tray is probably about 10-15cm so I thought that going up
from the skirting/floor would leave a cut tile above the tray which may not
look too good.
I of course intend to batten around the room and tile up from that and then
fill in the section below.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Regardless of how you do it you need to use a level to get a level line
,normally one tile MAXIMUM above the lowest part being tiled and fix a batten
around that line and tile on to the batten then work your way up and fit the
lowest line of tiles last . I would suggest not using anything else as a
reference for a level as you must get that first line of tiles truly level
otherwise everything will go pear shaped .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Stuart
writes
[...]

Didn't quite understand the last point - 'anything else' as in? Doesn't
really matter what point the level starts at, as long as the tiling fits
in sensibly.

Re the OP's point - I think I'd consider how level the skirting is -
will you need to cut lots of tiles to fit anyway, or does it appear to
be pretty level and would most tiles fit if whole tile? if the latter
what sort of cut would you end up with at the shower tray. I agree i
wouldn't want a small strip along the bottom, but say a half tile would
be ok I think , if it saved having to cut all the bottom tiles around
the room.

What size tiles are they?

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:02:46 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Stuart
writes
[...]

What I meant ...but probably didnt explain it very well...was not to trust
anything other than a line based on using a spirit level ....but thats just for
the level of the tiles .Setting them out so they look sensible is another matter
altogether .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Stuart wrote:
[...]

Seconded. Don't trust anything to be level except a level.

Stuart